PDA

View Full Version : Don't Despair

DarkLink
11-24-2012, 08:51 AM
For all the threads on various depressing problems we seem to be facing, if you keep things in perspective you get this: http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/24/opinion/johnson-progress-overlooked/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

We are, by practically all quantifiable measures, generally much better off today than we were even a decade ago. Corporate greed is not killing America, nor are illegal immigrants, nor terrorists, nor liberals or conservatives. Even with a rocky couple of years, we are still doing better than before, and this has been consistently true for a long time, with steady progress being made in everything from crime rates to, believe it or not, wealth inequality.

It's not just America, either. The world's standard of living is steadily rising as well.

So think about that next time the news depresses you.

Mr Mystery
11-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Indeed.

In the UK, the deficit has been somewhat overstated, by using values shown apart from their percentage of GDP.

Whilst we are in recession, it's not as bad as the government make out. And all so they can push forward their political ideals. Like kicking the poorest as hard and as often as possible.

Godless Zealot
11-24-2012, 11:41 AM
This is true. Despite the doom and gloom that seems to surround us we've never had it so good.

Mr Mystery
11-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Since things went a bit wrong, I have done better and better!

I now have an incredibly secure job in which I am excelling, an awesome private pension through said job, my own flat, and am financially solvent. All through a curious blend of very hard work, and 'right place, right time' luck.

If I can do it, anyone can. Just takes what my parents always called single minded objectivity!

Mud Duck
11-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Well Doom and Gloom does sell newspapers. I blame it on the 24hr new cycle, the littlest things will set it off because they have to be the first to get the story out, the 'deepest' of the coverage, and the loudest to get the viewers/web hits. Happy kitten stories are cute but boring, the world ending because of X sounds more exciting therefore more views. Kinda sad, isn't it.

Mr Mystery
11-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Well, doom and gloom is also a lot easier to make up...

Just ask 'Das Daily Mail'

DarkLink
11-24-2012, 06:00 PM
It's also how politics gets so decisive. It's easy to take anything any politician says, quote it out of context, and make up a headline meaning exactly the opposite of what the politician intended.

Wildeybeast
11-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Indeed.

In the UK, the deficit has been somewhat overstated, by using values shown apart from their percentage of GDP.

Whilst we are in recession, it's not as bad as the government make out. And all so they can push forward their political ideals. Like kicking the poorest as hard and as often as possible.

Haven't you heard the good news? We aren't in recession any more! 0.1% growth or some other fractionally small figure. The important thing is no more recession! And one forecast puts our growth over the next two years ahead of the Euro-ridden French (huzzah!) Not that any of this means much to Joe Public of course.

Mr Mystery
11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Which means call me Dave is no doubt planning another round of tax cuts for his mates, and more decisions to hurt the poor by means of celebrating.

eldargal
11-25-2012, 02:40 AM
Generally I agree, we are certainly much better off than we woudl have been a few decades ago. There are problems, though. Widening gap between rich and poor is a concern, for example. But in general nothing to warrant the kind of relentless pessimism we see so much of. But being pessimistic or cynical is fashionable.

Deadlift
11-25-2012, 06:02 AM
But being pessimistic or cynical is fashionable.

Once again proving how unfashionable I am, life is good in the DL household. Financially yeah I'm comfortable but its more than that, I have good friends, wonderful family, fantastic kids and a loving wife. What more could anyone want ?

Mr Mystery
11-25-2012, 07:20 AM
On the cynicism thing, most of my friends are slowly sorting themselves out. The dreamers have come down from their lofty spires, and are seeking gainful career aimed employment.

While we retain a broad level of cynicism, I wouldn't say we're terribly down about things. We still enjoy nights out, and venture further afield. Life is good, we just don't much like the modern world. Not the individuals as such, but popular culture. We don't really get the lifestyle the media tries to peddle us on a daily basis.

Nabterayl
11-25-2012, 12:23 PM
But ... but ... Grandfather Nurgle said despair was good! *sob*