PDA

View Full Version : Experimental CSM w/IG Allies 1850

Caitsidhe
11-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Aegis Defense Line w/Icarus Lascannon 85pts

Lord Commissar w/Camo Cloak 80pts
Infantry Platton w/5 Sabre Gun Platforms all upgraded to Lascannons & Spotlights. Each placed as single unit. *No upgrades on basic Platoon Squads or Command Squad. 396pts.

Daemon Prince of Nurgle w/Black Mace, Power Armor, Wings, Level-3 Mastery (usually 1 Nurgle and 2 Biomancy), Combat Familiar, Spell Familiar, and Black Mace. 370pts.
Chaos Terminator Lord in Terminator Armor w/Mark of Nurgle, Burning Brand of Skalathrax, Gift of Mutation, and Power Sword which is included in Terminator package. 160pts.
(8) Plague Marines including the Champion 2x Melta Guns and Veterans of the Long War (Champion with Combi-Melta, Powerfist, and Gift of Mutation) 265pts
(8) Plague Marines including Champion 2x Melta Guns and Veterans of the Long War (Champion with Combi-Melta, Powerfist, and Gift of Mutation) 265pts
Obliterator w/Mark of Nurgle 76pts
Obliterator w/Mark of Nurgle 76pts
Obliterator w/Mark of Nurgle 76pts.

*The Sabres cover both AA and heavy Artillery. I add additional crewman as the odd (just short of 1850) allows.

The Aegis sets up to the center rear of my deployment, camping tactical objective(s) w/Lord Commissar as part of the unit and forward manning the Icarus. His BS-5 makes th efact it is not twin-linked irrelevant. Being closer he will get to soak up fire for the rest of the unit. His Camo Cloak gives him a 2+ save behind the Aegis even when not going to ground. The five individual Sabre Gun Platforms are setup in best positions available for fields of fire and cover. The Obliterators, depending on the force we face, may all be back near the Aegis or kept in reserves. The fact that each is its own unit goes a long way toward expanding options. They add to the long range firepower, act as a midfield deterrent of the odd Land Raider, and provide close up plasma fire and add combat heft should something actually reach my Guard. The Plague Marines are for moving forward in support of the Daemon Prince and/or siezing objectives. The Burning Brand is useful in this course as well as being a great help against horde-style armies. The fulcrum of the offensive power (and oddly enough the defense too) is the Daemon Prince. As you point out, most people spend a lot of time and effort trying to neutralize it. This tends to draw fire off the Plague Marines who are either camping midfield objectives or moving in concert with the DP.

The idea is the massive long range fire from the firebase creating a frying pan and fire situation. Five twin-linked Lascannon shots, an Icarus, and three Obliterators can't really be ignored. Volume of fire tends to be shorter range and thus to try and silence the guns with infantry masses requires movement forward which put them into the no-man's land wherein the Plague Marines and the Daemon Prince can maneuver very effectively. The volume of Lascannon shots also allow for the destruction of opposing Monstrous Creatures or vehicles with STR-10 weaponry which pose the primary threat to to the Daemon Prince. I use the Nurgle DP in much the same way I do the Queen on a Chess Board, i.e. I use the threat and importance of the piece to dictate the initiative of the battle. They have to move to counter it or get hit. Moving to counter it means taking the withering fire from the rest. I am not speaking theoretically here. It works on the table.

deed116
11-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I cannot stress enough how it needs to be a quad gun on that Def line.

Caitsidhe
11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I cannot stress enough how it needs to be a quad gun on that Def line.

I've already tested that. My gun emplacement swaps out Lascannon and Quad Gun via magnets. Right now I'm seeing what kind of return I'm getting on another Lascannon versus things I want to go straight to Invulnerable saves. More to the point, points I saved from the Icarus and a few other places gave me the Oblits which can put up autocannons now.