PDA

View Full Version : Matt Varnish vs Satin Varnish.

MaltonNecromancer
11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
So I've used gloss varnish, I've used matt varnish, but I've no experience with satin varnish.

Can anyone tell me the difference between it and the other two, specifically any effects that are of benefit/interest as far as modelling and painting goes?

Deadlift
11-17-2012, 10:41 AM
So I've used gloss varnish, I've used matt varnish, but I've no experience with satin varnish.

Can anyone tell me the difference between it and the other two, specifically any effects that are of benefit/interest as far as modelling and painting goes?

I have always thought of satin varnish as being a compromise between gloss and matt. It's not as shiny as gloss and therefor not an unnatural finish that gloss can give, yet not as flat as matt. I think you get the best of both worlds without the extremes both gloss and matt can give.

Cpt Codpiece
11-17-2012, 11:56 AM
army painter do an anti shine matt varninsh, its designed to take away the gloss of washes.

seems to be a great alternative to satin and gloss. i have a pot of it and will hopefully be testing it out tomorrow, it also comes in rattle can.

crazyredpraetorian
11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Satin sealer will give a slight shine and a tougher finish than matt sealer.I prefer to spray models with gloss sesaler and then dull coat them this give a tough protective coat and a nice flat finish.

Denzark
11-20-2012, 12:13 PM
As an aside, some humbrol (style) decal fix products to hold transfers down, have a satin finish. You may need to matt or gloss varnish over the top to taste.