PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Necron Feedback in 6th

Tepogue
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Ok, I've grown kinda tired of munching all the local armies with Chaos Demons now, it was fun, overpowered and my winnings let me fill out my demon army to the point I don't expect to have to do anyting with it for awhile. So now I've turned my attentions to Necrons. I had one of the original 2nd Ed Necrons armies, 1 Lord, 60 warriors, 9 lawnchair destroyers, and scarabs on individual bases. But I traded that off long ago. So in a move that might be more nostalagia than practical I thought I'd turn my sights on a new Necron or possibile Necron/Ork force.

But, Necrons seem to have all become flyboys and not the heavy infantry force I want.

Assuming money is not an object, is the following scarab farm even competitive or at least an entertaining army

Destroyer Lord, Weave, Mind Shackle, Res Orb
leading
10 scarabs bases

Heavy Support

3x3 Spyders

Troops

10 Warriors

10 Warriors

10 Immortals - Tesla

10 Immortals - Tesla

This is 1390 points, if my math is right. The destroyer Lord passes on his Preferred Enemy to all scarabs. So reroll 1's to hit and to wound. This seems to get the most bang for the buck, Assuming perfect assault, 10 scarabs rolling 5 attacks each for 50 dice will probably roll
8 - 1's which when rerolled probably result in 4 additional hits. So 25 hits becomes 29 hits. which on average should generate 2-3
more wounds inflicted on the enemy. Though looking at those numbers, the effect is kinda small. I probably should consider adding 1-2 more swarms just so the spiders have more units to feed additional scarabs into. Plus they would be additional units to either place another Destroyer Lord into.

The warriors/immortals are mainly to shoot over the scarab swarm for the first 2 turns while the swarm grows and advances. Turn 3 should see the scarab swarms engaging the enemy while the warriors/immortals can move to take objectives or shoot units left out of the melee.

I'm thinking of placing the D Lord in the front of the unit, with a 2+ save he should be able to absorb a lot of the S6 shots that would instant death the swarms. I can pass off any ap1-2 shots onto a swarm as needed on a 2+.

Or is this idea wrong for 6th ed and I should go back to my my idea of a heavy Immortal force with 2 big units of Orks playing the role of bullet chatchers ?

WarHammerman
11-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Looking good - but too many spiders for not enough scarabs or other vehicles (if they take fab arrays)
More scarabs would do well - plus, scarabs die to template weapons and I've encountered a lot of templates these days (as Missile Launchers are on the rise- cause of their versatility, usually cheap price, and rumors of their anti-air "Flakk" missiles.

I would throw in a squad of wraiths - they move quickly, and can benefit from the destroyer lord as well.

The warriors could drag with them a Ghost Ark - to rebuild them, as the spiders would rebuild the scarabs. Also, if things get hairy they could pile in and GTFO.

Judge Advocate
12-30-2012, 08:56 PM
I play a totally non standard necron 2K army. It's based on the idea that if you can always roll all your attacks on the opponent and minimize his attacks on you, you will win. I take a triarch stalker, and paint a target with the targeting array allowing everyone to twin link on it if the stalker hits, and I roll two groups of 19 warriors led by Imotek and a court and one led by Nemesor and Obyron. Imotek has a despair Cryptek and a storm Cryptek. So you can see where this is going. 2 well led 19 warrior squads that can teleport every turn. So you teleport your units near the left flank unit, pop someone with a gauss cannon (36" range) and the 19 warrior forces are twin linked, shooting up to 76 twin linked flayer shots at a unit, or 38 twin linked shots at a unit and 38 normal at another, then next turn you use Obyron and the Dispair Cryptek to report the unit to the other flank and vaporize the other flank. Then you have 2 doom scythes in reserve waiting to come in and mop up.

Imotek is key because he keeps the 36" range limitation up as long as it stays night.

I took on a seasoned 2k dark angel force yesterday and wiped him out and lost maybe a dozen warriors during the whole battle.

2 weaknesses. Deep striking every turn makes you a ripe target for a pie plate or template, but you can avoid disaster by carefully placing your units out of Los or range, or by prioritizing those targets first. I got bullseyed twice by a plasma cannon in the middle of my formation, but night cover saves and reanimation protocols really takes the sting out of that.

The other weakness is close combat and a failed leadership roll that will wipe your huge squad out with a sweeping advance. First, you put Obyron's unit in the way because he can port out of close combat on your next move. You take a lord in each court with full defense kit and mind shackle scarabs. You also have a fully kitted Cryptek, harbinger of the storm, so you have a lightning field to zap assaulters and a crystal to zap IG Rambo who will deep strike next to you. You also have a 19 member rapid fire squad to over watch and if your stalker hit the charging unit your over watch is twin linked. Don't forget that Nemesor can boon a unit with, defensive counter strike, or hit and run to get away, or tank hunter if you're trying to glance kill some vehicles.

A third weakness is teleport mishaps, think about creating safe space during terrain set up on three or four sides of the board and put obstacles in middle to help with line of sight defenses

So the list is:

Imotek
Cryptek, storm with haywire staff, crystal, and lightning field
Cryptek, Dispair with abyssal staff, shroud, and veil
Lord with invuln, weave, minds hackle, Rez orb,

Nemesor (has a Rez orb)
Obyron
Lord with invuln, mind shackle, weave
Cryptek, storm with haywire staff, field and crystal

19 warriors (led by Imotek)

19 warriors (led by Nemesor)

Triarch stalker with gauss cannon

Doom scythe

Doom scythe

The art is picking the right tactics and counter tactics by Nemesor. It really is a vicious tactical ballet and nothing will turn your stomach like getting beat in cc, failing a morale test and dying under a sweeping advance that wipes out your hq and whole unit. But done well, I took out a 2k dark angel army with 4 termite squads, 4 bike squadrons, a devastator squad, and Sammael, and I lost a dozen warriors total and a court lord.

You take maximum shots, and he gets minimum each turn. Done well, he loses 2 full units every turn.