PDA

View Full Version : Rising Xeno Empires : The Uluméathic League

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2009, 11:15 AM
After finishing my Enslavers I wanted to go further and make even more weirder and abstract aliens. The name Ulumeathic League (see 5the ed rulebook) was appealing, so I decided to write them backround and design them. Iv used the tree's from the battlescape set to make their bodies so they have a truly asymmetrical look. They are inspired in part by HP Lovecraft's Flying polyps. Basicly, Iv always wanted to do some truly "out there" abstract aliens that are entirely unrelatable because put simply thats what most appeals to me.

Rules-wise, they'll be a 1000pt "counts as" death-wing, to represent their small number and brutal strength.

Overview Of The Uluméathic League -

The Uluméath are terrifying unnaturally white skinned creatures with tree-like abstract shaped bodies. They have a single purple eye randomly placed on their bodies and several polyp like mounds they use as sensory organs. They exhibit a natural control over gravity allowing them to move, and have limited telekinetic ability which they use to craft their technology.

Their weapons vary, but the most common have been random claw-like appendages that hang off their bodies, usually smothered in the blood of their enemies. A rarer type of weapon recently acconted is a strange object that hangs down on organic cables and holds a beehive type structure. The hive unleashes manufactured parasites in a co-ordinated stream that have the ability to devour living beings in mere seconds. Contact with this race is strictly forbidden.

The Uluméath's League worlds are scattered throughout the galaxy, each planet seems to have a pink liquid-like surface which Xeno-biologists discovered are advanced forms of living planetary-wide forcefields. This has prevented us from discovering more about them as well as enacting exterminatus. So far only several worlds have been discovered, making them in the grant scheme of things insignificant.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/UlumeathicLeague_Preview.jpg

p.s. my own camera isnt very good, so I apologise for the picture quality - so please see this as more of a "preview".

bad moon on afull moon
10-11-2009, 01:30 PM
very very creepy and very very weird rules wise i think u should try tyranid warriors or something along those lines

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Most people have these crazy ideas, few have the imagination to carry them through, even less have the skill to make them viable. Inspirational stuff........

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-11-2009, 03:19 PM
thanks guys, glad to see a few people are interested - which is more than I thought actually haha.

just had a suggestion that I think ill use and thats to use a red wash on the red bloodied claws, and a purple wash on the pink slime areas. So I will buy those and do that when I go to town next.

And need to get some flying-bases too...

eldargal
10-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Excellent example of how with effort and skill 'counts as' can result in something really special.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Excellent example of how with effort and skill 'counts as' can result in something really special.

*blush* why thankyou Miss eldar gal :D

Anaximander
10-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Great idea. How about using WHFB dryads as baby Ulumeaths?

rsheridan5
10-12-2009, 07:55 AM
This is certainly unique...
How many of these model have you created so far?

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-12-2009, 08:08 AM
other than that squad, iv got squad 2 90% finished, and another 5 man squad to do after that...

then theres the counts-as "Belial" and counts-as "venerable dreadnought" (which will look MONSTROUS).

dagonis
10-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Not exactly my cup of tea, but it is always good to see some dedicated conversion work.

Hephesto
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Looking mighty fine, rather inspiring to see somebody tackling something really new and special. Can't wait to see how this will turn out!

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
more will come this weekend hopefully, when I get more time to work on it. At least want to finish the first 2 squads off completely (based ect)...

need to buy another battlescape so I can convert a Belial and dreadnought...damn im gonna have like 4 smashed rhinos without any tree's sets :eek: :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-17-2009, 03:32 PM
no new models yet, but for now some new fluff will do ;

The Isolationist Chain
The Ulumeathic League are a mysterious upstart civilization. Long ago, they created a form of armour made from metallic chain that would bind their race together into a blissful co-existence. The chains have advanced Nano-technology that allow their collective minds to live together. This has, over the time twisted and distorted them into the wretched beings they now are. Obsessive isolationists of the most extreme.

When disturbing them, even on a minor-scale it can create an emotional effect that causes them to act insanely aggressive towards any non-ulumeath that dare disturb their isolationist co-existence. The chains seem to carry a nano-liquid that upsets the balance of their minds, causing them to be addictive to the effect of virtual co-existence with their own species. When they encounter other lifeforms, this causes a chain-reaction that effects the severe concentration needed to be one with the rest of their species - making them extremely aggressive.

The Ulumeathic league while confined to no more than a dozen scattered worlds at the very least, the empire does seem to be expanding at a slow-rate. As they expand however, they have been disturbed more by encounters from other races. Research shows that when an Ulumeath is disturbed it also effects the species as a whole, making them increasingly aggressive the more contact they have with outsiders.

Bound not only by their chain-like armour, which creates a powerful forcefield around them, they are slaves to this twisted mechanism. If the continue down this course, their aggression may unleash a tidal-wave of ruinous proportion - this is more reason why they should be annihilated before their twisted isolationist empire expands any further and become a major threat in the far future.

The Battle At Calanariss 7 -
Calanariss 7, is the largest moon in the Calanari system. A small yet significant imperial stronghold. The outposts dotted around the planets are often recruiting grounds for the Quantum Chevrons space marine chapter, as well as holding several small regiments of PDF imperial guard. The Calanari system is situated just outside a second star-system, the Pylanius Confinea where the Uluméathic League have recently expanded to. Various scout-marines, including those from the Green Shields have explored the Pylanius Confinea, finding it to be rich in resources but teeming with remnants from two or more ruinous civilizations.

Orders eventually came for a crusade to launch into the Pylanius Confinea, to extinguish the xeno threats that still lurked and wipe out the growing Uluméathic moons which have been slowly converted into purple slime-like monstrosities. Instead however, the Uluméathic wiped out the crusade in a matter of weeks - titanic space battles occured when an Uluméathic Root-Hive blasted apart several imperial ships only to continue on its course - the outposts of Calanariss 7, where the imperial crusade originated from.

The PDF on Calanariss 7's outpost were unprepared to say the least. They expected their fellow soldiers to arrive back with new stories of glory and victory over the wretched xeno scourge - but instead things were simply deathly silent. Eerie fog began to appear from no-where, and over days the PDF of Calanariss 7 began to fear of the unknown. It began with the sound of metallic chains echoing out of the eerie winds, for hours the sounds continued to get closer and closer and the men and women of the outpost readied their weapons.

When it came, it was a horror of unimaginabie proportion. The sillohettes of black twisted forms reaching out of the fog to reveal themselves as the groaning white spectres of the Uluméath appeared to the soldiers and within minutes all that could heard was futile gunfire at the floating horrors and screaming of those who pointlessly tried to assault them. Within an hour, the base was quiet and missing of life. Only bloodied corpses were left behind, and few were of the visiting nightmares of the Uluméath.

Uluméath Life Cycle -
Uluméath are strange to say the least, but their reproductive method is one of the strangest discovered. To begin with, every 4 years an Uluméath will shed its skin - much like various animals from ancient-terra's history used to. However, the similartiies end there. The old skin is not quite alive, nor dead. Instead, the membrane will be fed the luminous pink substances from the seas of the Uluméathic homeworlds, and within weeks the slime will begin to merge with the inside of the skin creating a micro eco-system that will allow various organs to develop within. Once all the organs are developed an eye or two will grow out of the skin allowing it to see then in later days it will finally learn to use its inner-organs to float above the ground.

After several years, the new Uluméath will be joined with the League and be given its first chain-armour. As it gets older and larger, more chain-armour will be implanted in and around it to further strengthen its link within the League. On its 8th year, it will finally shed itself, renewing itself and giving birth to yet a new Ulumeath. The Uluméath are said to have a life-cycle of up to 38 years before the regenerative process decays entirely - but some xenobiologists say they could potentially live much longer, and it is the chain-armour that decays the regenerative process.

Time-Line

584.M41 - Time Of Unity
The Uluméath form the Uluméathic League. Powerful eldritch technology allows the entire race to share each others minds and thoughts as one. This is celebrated by the new League as a mommentous achievement, bringing unity to the species after many hundreds of years of division and war.

612.M41 - Corruption
The first signs of the Chain armour causing aggression are recorded. Uluméath on the third continent of the homeworld begin to slaughter various cattle and animal-life around them. For some reason, those around them begin to feel this aggression slowly emerge alike.

632.M41 - Visitation
An encounter with an alien species is met with the first all-out aggressive action from the League. The ambassadors and their parties are completely wiped out and the Uluméath feel a species-wide anger and aggression awaken within them.

687.M41 - The First Ships
The Uluméathic develop the first Root-Hives, a form of powerful spacecraft made from the pink slimes of their oceans turned into a strange crust-like abomination from which they fit with various mechanical devices.

701.M41 - System Wide War
The first Root-Hives explore the home star-system to wipe out any life they encounter. The obsession for isolationism is fully engrained into the Uluméath conscious at this time. The two worlds that contain intelligent lifeforms are purged and the Uluméathic League makes its first expansion.

747.M41 - Chains Of Hate
The Uluméathic league develops the first planetary organic shields in order to defend their isolationist empire. Before the first shields are put to use, a small Ork raiding force lands on the homeworld. The Uluméathic League wipe the Orks out with ease due to sheer number and in the process learn that life outside the star system exists, setting up a future chain of events.

783.M41 - Defeat at the Gates Of Tegemora
Uluméathic League ships of the Root-Hive, Tegemora are recorded annihilated after their attempt to assault Dark Eldar fails due to the Uluméath's lack of speed against the pirates.

823.M41 - Grand Expansion
Four Root-Hive ships conquer the Jerenaya star-system, assimilating two new worlds to the League and wiping out elements of a Chaos Legion. In these long days, the Uluméath learn of the threat of Chaos and discovery of such corruption only heightens the aggressive awareness of the species.

833.M41 - Death League
The Uluméathic League world Saruz in the Dryud star system suffers a fault with its planetary organic shields which acts as a gateway for the tyranids to reign down upon the surface of the world. Within days Saruz is annihilated and turned into a dead-world. This is the League's first encounter with the Tyranids.

966.M41 - Retribution Angle
Several worlds amongst a variety of star-systems are conquered and assimilated into the growing Uluméathic League, including that of the Calanari system. The dread Imperium finally notices these xenos as a rising new empire and potential threat.

971.M41 - Day Of Collapse
The Uluméath fail to capture the maiden planet Yumeck from the Eldar, and instead the Uluméath forces are obliterated within a single day hailing a massive defeat for the League. The Eldar are made aware of this growing xeno race.

989.M41 - Poison World
Uluméath Scientists employ the first use of a planet-killer, a genetically engineered nano-plague that sweeps across the planet Ryanora IV - destroying the imperial armies and allowing the battered Root-Hive the Cellkiller to land safely and invade the poisoned world turning it into one of the newest League worlds.

992.M41 - Delliverance
Uluméathic League Raiders assault a nearby planet in the Cathelir system, only to be met with the full might of the Quantum Chevrons Space Marine chapter. Trained to deal with new, deadly or mysterious horrors that lurk - the Quantum Chevrons fight the Uluméath to the death, leaving the planet free once more. The Quantum Chevrons are hailed as heroes of the Cathelir system.

999.M41 - The Virus Of Rage
The Uluméathic League discontent with the size of their empire, and fear of intrusion seek to expand and become a stronger influence in the galaxy. A fleet of a hundred Root-Hive Cruisers are created just for this crusade, and at the end of the 41st millenium - the Uluméath war against the galaxy finally begins.

Slann
10-20-2009, 12:55 AM
This stuff is always cool to me , Do I love this race ? No I do not but I would love too play against it , it would be fun and a refreshing look on the 40k universe .

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Threadomancy. Finally got some new pictures of them, as I had time to actually finish the first squad (finally).

first squad of Chain-Thralls :
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/cult%20of%20the%20dragon%20and%20Ulumeathi/Ulumeathi_01.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/cult%20of%20the%20dragon%20and%20Ulumeathi/Ulumeathi_02.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/cult%20of%20the%20dragon%20and%20Ulumeathi/Ulumeathi_03.jpg

unpainted/basecoated Galvanic Membrane (WIP) :
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/cult%20of%20the%20dragon%20and%20Ulumeathi/Ulumeathi_04.jpg

The Galvanic-Membrane is the Ulumeathi's primary heavy weapons unit. This devestating proto-organic doomsday engine uses the chains around it's arch-shaped body to focus their energies into the thick tendrills that join the two sides together, and from this it forms a kind of fluctuating purple energy membrane which "breathes" out shockwaves as it's form of attack.

Meph
12-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Ewww! Filthy Xenos! Where's me flamer, those things need a dozen gallons of flaming promethium, STAT!

(Good job btw. :D)