PDA

View Full Version : Kit-Bashing Custom Sabre Platforms

Caitsidhe
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I've been using the Sabre Gun Platform and found it excellent. It really helps fills out holes in my forces. Imperial Guard (my version of Traitor) are taken as my allies to my beloved Chaos Space Marines. The problem is that I'm not in love with the models (the Forge World ones are fine but don't impart a "Chaos" feel to me, nor do they seem big enough to be representing Toughness-7 models w/2 Wounds each. I resolved to build some. Most of my lists have a minimum of three to five of them. In larger games I could get all the way to fifteen on the field. I will post pictures later today of my work in progress, but this is what I'm working with:

(1) Sentinel buckets, i.e. the part the driver sits in without the armor upper half. You want to see the driver.
(2) Various weapons (I prefer lascannons) and NOT the size that come with the Sentinel bucket. You want big ones.
(3) Circular black metal/masonry disk with hole in the middle. I found a circular saw safety disk was perfect.
(4) Bolt which ends in rubber furniture foot, large but not too thick to go through circular saw disk.
(5) Bases, drivers, decorative Chaos bits.

Essentially the bucket from the Sentinel becomes the weapon turret seat. Be sure to leave the exhaust stacks on the back of the bucket. They look right as part of the automation of the gun turret. You can permanently attach the weapons you like best to the sides, lined up proper with each other for the "twin-link effect" or embed magnets in the bucket to be able to switch them out. The Sabre Platform has a lot of options so magnets are a good idea.

Take your bolt with the rubber foot and glue it to the appropriate base, dead center. Glue the appropriate sized nut to one side of the disk so the hole is lined up over the hole in the center. You can now simply screw the platform onto the bolt (nut down and hidden) to the height you want. Then you glue another such bolt to the bottom of your new gun turret. Now you can simply screw the gun-bucket to the platform. Viola. Appropriate bits of chaos decoration here and there, followed by base coating everything draws the thing together into a wicked looking gun station.

I use my Cultists (painted and modified appropriately) to be my Traitor Guard. One stands on the platform below the gun, while the driver in the seat is the main crew firing.

Chris*ta
11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Sounds interesting, and I always like artillery pieces in a Guard army, but a little hard to picture from your description. Pictures maybe?

Caitsidhe
11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Sounds interesting, and I always like artillery pieces in a Guard army, but a little hard to picture from your description. Pictures maybe?

I took picture last night but did so on my phone and didn't like them. I will take proper pictures this evening.

Smashotron
11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I'd really like to see what you've come up with. It sounds like it could look great. I also have a renegade force of Guardsmen and have be looking for the right parts to make a good-looking Sabre platform that resembles the FW model but have their own Nurgle feel, and doesn't cost +$30.

Smashotron
11-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I took picture last night but did so on my phone and didn't like them. I will take proper pictures this evening.

No such luck on those pictures then I suppose? I was looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Caitsidhe
11-22-2012, 09:09 AM
No such luck on those pictures then I suppose? I was looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

I apologize. The holidays came up on me fast along with end of the semester prep so I got sidetracked. I will have some up by Sunday when I back at home.

Chris Copeland
11-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Caitsidhe was at my FLGS tonight with his Sabres (all five of them)... here is a pic. I have to admit that they look pretty cool.http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3309&d=1353823787

Caitsidhe
11-25-2012, 07:11 AM
That is not the best picture of them. There is also a custom Icarus in there barely visible with my Aegis. That is, however, how my Traitor Guard Artillery unit (The Devil's Den) likes to form for battle. :) I will still do some better pictures close of up a single one from different angles so you can see them as work in progress.

Smashotron
11-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Ouch, that many Sabres must really pack a punch! I like what you've done with the gunner seat, they look really good. Thank you for the photo!

Caitsidhe
11-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Ouch, that many Sabres must really pack a punch! I like what you've done with the gunner seat, they look really good. Thank you for the photo!

They do pack a punch if used properly. They have their weaknesses, as all models do, but they fill a hole in the CSM army.