PDA

View Full Version : Hitman Absolution

Learn2Eel
11-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Who else is pumped for this game? :D
I've been waiting for a new Hitman ever since Blood Money came out (05' 06' or whenever), at least a 6 year wait. Being amongst my most beloved video-game series, when I saw the previews for a new Hitman I went crazy.
The gameplay footage and trailers have all been awesome so far - I love the fact that you can switch off features like Checkpoints, save games, Instinct and the like if you don't want to use them to get the classic Hitman experience. And the fact that you can still have access to them is pretty cool - thankfully, the higher difficulties stay true to form and allow no saves or checkpoints whatsoever. Awesome!

Reading the reviews so far, the response has been almost universally positive. From what I can tell, out of about 5 reviews, only 1 has been negative so far. This is actually something I found really interesting, especially as it involves a review company I usually trust to put out a fair appraisal of a game.
Essentially, the review scores have been as follows; Official Playstation Magazine Poland - 9/10, Official Xbox Magazine UK - 9/10. Play 3 - 88/100, Game Informer - 8.75/10, PC Gamer UK - 62/100.

There's a glaring outlier there. Now, there's nothing wrong with a reviewer giving a game the score they think it deserves - same as with any review, you can't blame someone for having an opinion.
However, if you do a little bit of digging, you find some very interesting facts about the PC Gamer review.

Here's a summary;

The reviewer heavily criticized the game, citing that it is a mess with a terrible PC port, scripted assassinations, pointless objectives, a bad art style and over-use of bloom, small levels, no saves, bad AI, encourages players to kill guards, lack of stealth gameplay.

Now, if we look at actual facts as has been posted by several anonymous reviewers, previewers and also by the other publicly available reviews;

1) The PC preview and review builds of the game work perfectly for reviewers using older computers, with no lag or graphical issues whatsoever. The issues have been isolated to the PC Gamer review. Even users of the Hitman: Sniper Challenge demo have reportedly had no issues with older systems. It has been pointed out that the game is highly optimized for PC gaming, though the controls do sometimes feel like you are playing a port.

2) The 'scripted assassinations' are not a part of the game. As in Blood Money, the AI reacts in certain ways when targets are successfully assassinated. There are also no real 'cutscenes' - anonymous reviewers have pointed out that control is virtually never taken away from you and it is completely your decision if you want to play along.

3) The 'pointless objectives' noted by the reviewer refer to 'opening doors' - this is again an unfair criticism as at the end of every level throughout the series, the player has to find an exit point to complete the mission. A big part of a 'hit' is to escape undetected; many assassinations cannot be done without attracting attention in some form.

4) Whilst the appraisal of the visuals is purely based upon conjecture, to say the game is ugly is laughable. Given the previously mentioned technical issues that only the PC Gamer review has notably suffered from, it seems this stems from the computer they used, not the game itself.

5) Small levels may appear in the game but, as an anonymous reviewer has pointed out, this matters little as there are apparently over 50 stages in the game. The PC Gamer review also fails to mention that small levels were very much a part of Blood Money as well, and that Absolution has well over triple the amount of stages Blood Money did. Apparently the game averages out to about 15 hours of length - though it has been stated this is highly variable based on play-style and difficulty, meaning there is lots of replay-ability value.

6) The 'no saves' issue is also a falsehood - save games are allowed on the lower difficulties and disabled on the higher difficulties, much like Blood Money. Given that the reviewer often directly compares the two games, this is a highly inaccurate criticism.

7) The game has been stated numerous times by numerous websites and journalists to have far superior AI to what has been offered in the series previously. Though preview builds are not always accurate representations of the final game, it seems strange that a game that has been praised almost universally for its AI would instead be bad when it is released. It is also apparent, given that the reviewer was obviously playing on an easier difficulty, that the reviewer's opinion of the AI was based on the way they themselves played, not the game itself. Easier difficulties would obviously reduce the AI's strengths.

8) This is what proves the reviewer is lying. He claims that the game encourages you to kill guards and that stealth is not relevant. The gameplay footage that has been released and every preview to this day shows that killing guards reduces your overall score and thus makes it more difficult to get higher rankings and successfully navigate through the game. Not only that, but, again, the gameplay trailers emphasize the stealth elements of the game.

Enough ranting, but just thought I would add this in, just in case anyone may have been turned off by that particular review. Happy to say that it is complete bullplop.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
I can't wait either, it looks amazing! :D

alshrive
11-14-2012, 03:36 AM
I can't wait either, it looks amazing! :D

I have been absolutely loving the Sniper Challenge Pre Order bonus and cannot wait for this game!

alshrive
11-21-2012, 04:41 AM
Right let me start by saying sorry for the Long post but it should be worth it. I purchased this game yesterday and thought i would give you my initial thoughts on it based on the original review from this thread.

1) The PC preview and review builds of the game work perfectly for reviewers using older computers, with no lag or graphical issues whatsoever. The issues have been isolated to the PC Gamer review. Even users of the Hitman: Sniper Challenge demo have reportedly had no issues with older systems. It has been pointed out that the game is highly optimized for PC gaming, though the controls do sometimes feel like you are playing a port. I purchased the PS3 version as it is my platform of choice and have to say it handles very well for a console game. There are times that i think the PC controls may be more suitable the "Point Shoot" bullet-time style events being the primary example.

2) The 'scripted assassinations' are not a part of the game. As in Blood Money, the AI reacts in certain ways when targets are successfully assassinated. There are also no real 'cutscenes' - anonymous reviewers have pointed out that control is virtually never taken away from you and it is completely your decision if you want to play along. Agreed. There is very little in the way of cut-scenes mid mission and you have so much control it is ridiculous. Ah my target is walking into a quiet and secluded spot, shall i follow him? nah I am going over to that Pad Thai stall over there and stealing a bottle! I love the complete freedom this game is presenting.

3) The 'pointless objectives' noted by the reviewer refer to 'opening doors' - this is again an unfair criticism as at the end of every level throughout the series, the player has to find an exit point to complete the mission. A big part of a 'hit' is to escape undetected; many assassinations cannot be done without attracting attention in some form. I agree with the point. Some times the escape is harder than the assassination as everyone is suddenly more alert!

4) Whilst the appraisal of the visuals is purely based upon conjecture, to say the game is ugly is laughable. Given the previously mentioned technical issues that only the PC Gamer review has notably suffered from, it seems this stems from the computer they used, not the game itself. This game is gorgeous! i am playing it on a 51" Samsung and have to say it is phenomenally pretty! I would agree that is was probably down to the computer used, however as i have mentioned I am a console gamer.

5) Small levels may appear in the game but, as an anonymous reviewer has pointed out, this matters little as there are apparently over 50 stages in the game. The PC Gamer review also fails to mention that small levels were very much a part of Blood Money as well, and that Absolution has well over triple the amount of stages Blood Money did. Apparently the game averages out to about 15 hours of length - though it has been stated this is highly variable based on play-style and difficulty, meaning there is lots of replay-ability value. The levels are just the right size! any bigger and it would be ridiculous! there are so many ways through each level as it is that if it got bigger it would just get unnecessarily complicated in my opinion.

6) The 'no saves' issue is also a falsehood - save games are allowed on the lower difficulties and disabled on the higher difficulties, much like Blood Money. Given that the reviewer often directly compares the two games, this is a highly inaccurate criticism. For my first play through I am attempting Normal Difficulty as the game has quite a steep learning curve! the "no save" issue is completely wrong. throughout each level there are Checkpoints that you can choose to activate when you reach them.

7) The game has been stated numerous times by numerous websites and journalists to have far superior AI to what has been offered in the series previously. Though preview builds are not always accurate representations of the final game, it seems strange that a game that has been praised almost universally for its AI would instead be bad when it is released. It is also apparent, given that the reviewer was obviously playing on an easier difficulty, that the reviewer's opinion of the AI was based on the way they themselves played, not the game itself. Easier difficulties would obviously reduce the AI's strengths.
As i have said, I am only playing on Normal difficulty at the minute but i must admit that i think the AI is brilliant. Even at this level they are fairly intuitive and respond well in given situations. Example, i was discovered in the middle of a market place and they definitely wanted me dead- well i assume that is why bullets were fired in my direction anyway. I decided to take cover and predicted that the guards would just keep coming around the corner and i would pick them off one after the other. OH BOY WAS I WRONG! A couple of guards took cover and focussed on surpressing me, as in they would take a few shots and actually take cover again! while this was going on i completely didn't notice the fact that another group were trying to outflank me! i thought this was brilliant until i was perforated many times by submachine gun fire.

8) This is what proves the reviewer is lying. He claims that the game encourages you to kill guards and that stealth is not relevant. The gameplay footage that has been released and every preview to this day shows that killing guards reduces your overall score and thus makes it more difficult to get higher rankings and successfully navigate through the game. Not only that, but, again, the gameplay trailers emphasize the stealth elements of the game.
A definite LIE! the game often times simply gives you the choice! Each and every non-target kill has a negative impact on your score but sometimes it easier to get a slightly lower score and take that pesky guard out..... I would say this game is hugely focussed on the stealth, and sometimes the subtle style of stealth. The kind where you just stand in a crowd and then non-chalantly lob a knife at your targets face.....

I will add more to this as i keep playing but i just wanted to get my initial thoughts down on paper... well on the interwebz.... you know what I am saying.

ALShrive
***SPOILER ALERT BELOW- HIGHLIGHT TO REVEAL- AT YOUR OWN RISK***
So far i am not actually that impressed with the Storyline! Having to kill Diana as your first contract is complete rubbish- she was great. Then going rogue against the agency ok i can kind of understand it but it feels like they are trying to reverse Hitman the Movie where the Agency betray 47. Also he cut off his barcode! WTF! That defines 47 as a character!

Learn2Eel
11-21-2012, 06:01 AM
Agreed. Been playing the game and I really think that quite a few of the reviews, particularly the PC Gamer and Gametrailers ones, were written without actually playing the game. There's no way half the criticisms raised about this game from such reviews are true. It is fantastic and I am having a real blast.

alshrive
11-21-2012, 06:04 AM
i am quite addicted to it! sometimes I am enjoying replaying bits just to find different ways of doing things! or going back to find a more sneaky way! Example- killing the king of Chinatown- first way i found involved remote explosives! not that subtle! effective though

Learn2Eel
11-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Hahaha the way I killed him wasn't subtle either, I actually had no idea what I was doing so I went with what I saw first. I noticed on my first try that he walks over to a kind of isolated food vendor and talks to him. I had the idea - I knocked the vendor out, hid him in the nearby trash can, and waited for the target. When he arrived and looked at my food, I picked up a nearby knife. It was funny watching him look at me innocently as I threw a knife at his head. And then I calmly walked out whilst making sure to avoid/trick any of the other cooks.

I found it hilarious - NO FOOD FOR YOU! *splick* And that was one of the simpler ways to take him out.

alshrive
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
i went over to his sports car, took out the guard there, planted the remote explosives that you find there and then i set his car alarm off. waited for him to waltz over and then KABOOM! no more king of chinatown! complete hell broke loose though and people were running everywhere, covered my escape nicely but was very very messy.

Godless Zealot
11-21-2012, 07:09 AM
First Hitman title I played was Blood Money which I bought on a whim when I saw it cheap. Turned out to be a very enjoyable experience. I loved the whole freedom to take your target out in a manner of ways you see fit approach that is missing in a lot of stealth games. Glad to see that is still intact for this next instalment despite what a couple of reviews claim otherwise. Furthermore judging from some of the assassinations described here glad to see it's kept it's dark sense of humour too!

alshrive
11-21-2012, 07:23 AM
It is brilliant, and it actively encourages replays as there are different rewards for doing each level in different ways! It is actually really clever how it has been made because there is just so much variety!

eldargal
11-21-2012, 07:27 AM
I'd say this is one of the better games of the series though I've only played 3 of the five or however many there are. My best friend is a real Hitman nut and she is enjoying it too.

I poisoned the King of Chinatown with fugu fish and waltzed right on out.:)

I do like the dark sense of humour, too. I electrocuted a man while he was urinating on a wall in one level and one of his comrades ran up and said 'oh my god, that could have been me! Thank god it was you!'. I loled.:rolleyes:

Definitely a better franchise than Assassins Creed in my opinion, much more enjoyable stealth and killiness.

alshrive
11-21-2012, 07:34 AM
i love how much effort they have put in to this game! even down to the release date! 20th of November fell in the 47th!!!! week of the year!

eldargal
11-22-2012, 07:40 AM
The more I play the more this game is growing on me, and I haven't even touched the Contracts system yet, which if I understand it allows players to create their own missions for 47 to engage in.

The story is typical Hitman, gratuitous but oddly engaging.

alshrive
11-22-2012, 07:45 AM
The more I play the more this game is growing on me, and I haven't even touched the Contracts system yet, which if I understand it allows players to create their own missions for 47 to engage in.

The story is typical Hitman, gratuitous but oddly engaging.

as you mentioned it allow me to summarise and review contracts mode. You basically play any level of the game and as you go through you can mark up to 3 "targets" these can be nearly anybody in the level, not the normal targets. once you have marked a target, you must kill them to lock them as an objective for your mission. it will also record with what weapon you killed them and what you were wearing, and these will be bonuses. once you have killed between 1 and 3 marked people you can leave the level and that is the mission set up. Then you share it online.

When someone plays it they will be given the targets that you set. And will get bonuses for wearing the outfit you wore when you killed them and using the same weapon/method. what makes this brilliant is that you have to do it first before it can be set up meaning only missions that can actually be accomplished can be submitted. The reward at the end of the level is based on the complexity. The More Targets, with different weapons and different outfits equals a larger reward. An ingenius and addictive system!

Godless Zealot
11-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Got my hands on a copy today, so far only a few 'hits' in but really enjoying it. It has everything you'd want in a Hitman game and then some. All the usual upgrades for a sequel, everything feels more refined and controls feel less clunky than the last one. Story is standard Hitman fare it seems but as long as it lets me take out my targets in a bunch of amusing ways in funky locations then I am happy. Good to see the dark humour elements are in force too. Like the poor chap getting the all clear from his prostate exam only to be subsequently launched out of a window to his grisly demise. I haven't tried the Contracts mode yet saving it for after I finish the main campaign but that should add some longevity to the game.

eldargal
11-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Just finished the main story, great spoiler at the end even if I was half-expecting it. :) Went down the Silent Assassin path, trying to minimise casualties and whatnot. Might go for a more bloody playthrough next.

Cap'nSmurfs
11-23-2012, 04:27 AM
I've always loved the Hitman games - slightly leery of this one, though, after I heard they were slightly simplifying things and going to a more action setpiece style. Then there was the Diana stuff, and the Saints trailer, which, uh, yeah. But then what I've seen reminds me more of why I liked Hitman in the first place. You guys seem to really like it, too, so I may have to give it a go!

DrLove42
11-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Apparantly the first hour or 2 is a bit crap, but improves.

I'm getting it for Christmas....looking forward to it

alshrive
11-23-2012, 04:38 AM
It is amazing, I am replaying levels just to find newer and more inventive methods to kill people! as an example of the variety one target i have killed by blowing his car up, poisoning his sushi, poisoning his cocaine, sniping him in the head and going on a gun crazed rampage! aaahhh variety truly is the spice of life!

eldargal
11-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Just played a few contracts, most are fun but one of them was ridiculously frustrating. You have to kill one person in Chinatown market with an explosion without killing anyone else. I can't even find the explosives but there is no way to set off an explosion without killing more people than the target.:rolleyes: I hope contracts like that are a minority.

alshrive
11-23-2012, 05:15 AM
right for the explosives highlight below to reveal
at the start of the level follow the path until you can look down an alley on the left to the sportscar, by the car is a guard, wait for him to walk off and very quickly follow him- he goes up a flight of stairs. grab him on his way up them and you will lob him down them taking him out. drag him up to the top of the stairs to hide his body- maybe steal his uniform if you want to. up the top there their is a weapons cache. It has a pistol and ammo from recollection. It also has remote explosives. arm the remote explosive and pick it up. then find somewhere you can lead your target or that your target goes (if it is the King just plant it by his car and set off the car alarm!). wait for target to get close. detonate. watch target exit the area in multiple directions at high speed. hope that helped EG

eldargal
11-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks, that helps me find the explosives, but I've tried everything to lure the target and nothing works.:( Going through the story again collecting challenged instead.

alshrive
11-23-2012, 07:46 AM
if you give me the name of the target or the name of the contract i will try to find it and have a go and see what i come up with....

alshrive
11-23-2012, 07:47 AM
also, anybody playing this on PS3? would love to actually get some gamer mates who are playing games that i am playing and not playing that stupid COD thing.

Godless Zealot
11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Alas, not here 360 I am afraid. Had a quick muck about on Contracts mode certainly mixes things up a bit and can make for some quite interesting scenarios.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-23-2012, 02:37 PM
I'm on 360 too. :D

Godless Zealot
11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm on 360 too. :D

Cool. Have you played the game yet? It's mighty fun.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Not yet, keep buying Vampire stuff. :p

Godless Zealot
11-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Not yet, keep buying Vampire stuff. :p

Warhammer Vampire stuff? Or Twilight novels? :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Warhammer Vampire stuff? Or Twilight novels? http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/images/visioncollison/smilies/biggrin.gif

The first one. SO MUCH THE FIRST ONE.

eldargal
11-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Got all challenges on the first and second levels now, third one is a lot more difficult though. Getting there though.

I'm playing on a Pea See

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Get an Xbox. :p

eldargal
11-24-2012, 03:52 AM
But I like things which are good.:p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-24-2012, 04:02 AM
But I like things which are good.:p

Then why do you have a PC? Ooooooooh burn, you know I'm joking. :)

Also, in a roundabout way, that comment was a compliment to me! Thanks. :3

Godless Zealot
11-24-2012, 11:32 AM
It won't be long until I too join the PC Master Race but for now I remain a dirty console peasant. Finished the main campaign now silent assassin style and thought it was pretty good. The story wasn't as bad as some people seem to be making out despite me having an idea about 'the twist' too. All in all good game, enjoyed it and now going back through for the challenges and a more gung ho approach. Shooting the place up may not be the most subtle way to take your target down but boy it can be fun!

Kirsten
11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
just got it this morning, did the bit where you do the thing, I am sure you know. I am really liking it so far, been a huge fan ever since the original and it has added some great stuff. a couple of hours in so far, it is nice and digestible in fairly small chapters.

Godless Zealot
11-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I've heard a fair few complaints about the size of the levels being too small etc but I agree I thought they got it just right. I found the chapters to be big enough to enjoy without being too large to become dull.

Kirsten
11-24-2012, 06:13 PM
yeah I thought so, the previous games have had levels that went on for hours, I think it makes sense to have a smaller mission, find the target, kill the target, escape, you don't want to be hanging round for ages. The first proper mission in china town is really small but I still spent ages just walking round weighing up the options

eldargal
11-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Agreed, the level design is just right. I think it was similar in Blood Money, but some of the missions in (I think) the second one were veery long. I may be getting mixed up, it's been ages since I played the others. The pacing in Absolution is much better though, no more getting bored creeping through someones giant warehouse/dwelling/penthouse/etc. for hours.

Love using point shooting or whatever it is called on a crown of people with a submachine gun. Makes a sound like an angry bullfrog and then there are five or six dead police lying on the floor.

Kirsten
11-25-2012, 06:30 AM
I think the snow level with the ninjas and the castle was the worst culprit in, 2, was it?

Learn2Eel
11-25-2012, 06:47 AM
It was that or the level before it where you actually have to get to the castle, but yeah I'm not sure there. My memory of 2 is very fuzzy.

Still remember 2 fondly, I really need to buy all the Hitman games on Steam one day and play them all through (barring Absolution and Blood Money which I already have).

I'm too young to really remember the first one, I do recall finishing it but I didn't do it at all well.
The one I really missed out on was Contracts - I wasn't allowed to get it as it was definitely too grisly and 'mature'.

eldargal
11-25-2012, 06:55 AM
I think the snow level with the ninjas and the castle was the worst culprit in, 2, was it?
That's one of them yep, also I think there was one in St. Petersburg? Not sure if that was as long but it seemed it to me.:rolleyes: Managed to get Silent Assassin rating on the ninja castle which I was very pleased about.

Kirsten
11-25-2012, 07:20 AM
I had managed to successfully block St Petersburg from my memory, thanks for that :P

I have all of them, though before absolution they are all on PC and I don't currently own a PC, so may pick up at least blood money on Xbox. The Absolution levels are obviously intended to be replayed multiple times, and I can see myself easily doing so

eldargal
11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
You're welcome.:p

I've only played Hitman 2, Blood Money and Absolution. Might get the others on Steam. Absolution is definitely my favourite so far, even if some of the challenges are extremely frustrating. Just finished one that involves killing 5 enemies with a syringe without being detected within an unspecified short amount of time. It came down to split second timing to kill two enemies in the space of 4 seconds or so with one syringe so the furthest one wouldn't walk past a certain point. Past which another enemy down the hall could spot his blood and alert everybody making it much more difficult to kill the remaining three enemies for the challenge. It took me perhaps 50 tries. It may have been easier to do in another area of the level but I'm a stubborn b*tch.

alshrive
11-26-2012, 02:57 AM
ok well i completely missed Hitman on saturday because the Christmas Bazaar for the Church- great success though. However managed to get my fill on Sunday and I am only getting more and more impressed with this game. The replay value is phenomenal! i have been replaying levels left right and centre and haven't done them the same way twice yet. Also can i just say that *highlight to reveal due to spoilers*= "the second time you are in chinatown is possibly the best level ever, what appears to be a new years party and 3 targets and an abundance of methods to kill them. My fave so far that you can do in a single playthrough is kill one by sabotaging the petrol pump causing him to ignite and detonate the nearby fireworks. The second one who is trying to get information out of a store holder just push him down a hole as he is intimidating him- haven't found anything more exciting yet. and the third one, electrocute him as he takes a whizz on the Rickshaw/TukTuk!!!"

DrLove42
11-26-2012, 03:32 AM
FYI they're releasing a Hi-Def triple pack of 2, BloodMoney and Contracts soon.

alshrive
11-26-2012, 03:46 AM
well that will be a must buy purchase!!!!! I have Blood Money for my PC but having it on my PS3 would make me very happy!

eldargal
11-26-2012, 03:54 AM
FYI they're releasing a Hi-Def triple pack of 2, BloodMoney and Contracts soon.
Does want.

The 2nd Chinatown level i pretty good.:) I managed to get the (highlight for spoilers:
Challenge where you have to kill each target with a katana wearing the chipmunk suit, wacky fun.

alshrive
11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
that sounds like quite a challenge! Must try that! how are you finding contracts mode?

eldargal
11-26-2012, 03:59 AM
I've not played many more, too much fun working on challenges in the story campaign.:)

alshrive
11-26-2012, 04:04 AM
I've not played many more, too much fun working on challenges in the story campaign.:) I know exactly what you mean! It is stupidly addictive trying to find new ways to bump off the targets! highlight to reveal = I must say that I was not a huge fan of the running across the rooftops to escape the helicopter bit- just didn't feel quite as hitman-y as other bits. that said, the part in the train station on the platform is possibly the most tense i have ever got in a game!

eldargal
11-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Note to self: When seeking to detonate crates full of dynamite, do not stand next to them while doing so.

alshrive
11-26-2012, 06:35 AM
which bit would that be?

eldargal
11-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Out in the Desert when you take a certain someone out there to scare/kill there is an old wagon nearby with crates full of it. Followed the certain someone over, saw the crates, thought 'aha, what a way to kill the target', shot crate from about five feet away.

alshrive
11-26-2012, 07:59 AM
well whoops!

FireHazard
11-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Out in the Desert when you take a certain someone out there to scare/kill there is an old wagon nearby with crates full of it. Followed the certain someone over, saw the crates, thought 'aha, what a way to kill the target', shot crate from about five feet away.

So many ways to take him out as well. I found the dog bone method much gentler on the self, though it was far less satisfying :)

(The vultures also make for good, though pointless, target practice...)

eldargal
11-27-2012, 12:54 AM
I hadn't noticed how relatively tame the blood and gore was in this game until I walked right up to him with the shotgun and aimed right at his head at point blank range. Head was still there after, fairly sure that wouldn't happen.:rolleyes: Not a criticism, just something I hadn't really noticed until then.

Learn2Eel
11-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Not surprising to be honest, there are very few gory moments in the series - though a few stand out, such as the dead woman in the meat factory in Contracts.

Just a quick question, I am up to 'Shaving Lenny', how far would you say I am into the game? Been taking this game at a slow pace, playing it here and there.

eldargal
11-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Yep, as I said it isn't a criticism, gore is overrated, I just hadn't really noticed.

40%-50% or so I think? You'd think I'd have a better idea, I'm past that point in my second playthrough.:rolleyes:

Most surreal Hitman moment ever: Knocking out a stripper, hiding her in a bin, taking her place inside a giant birthday cake, exploding out of it to the strains of stripper music and point shooting four guards in the head while leaving the birthday boy scientist alive for a Challenge. Best Birthday Present ever, watching four of your friends killed by the best assassin in the world and not dying. My gift to you, man.

plawolf
11-27-2012, 02:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone played HA on PC? If it was designed as a console game, there might be porting issues that gives a completely different experience on the PC compared to on console.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-27-2012, 02:58 AM
Most surreal Hitman moment ever: Knocking out a stripper, hiding her in a bin, taking her place inside a giant birthday cake, exploding out of it to the strains of stripper music and point shooting four guards in the head while leaving the birthday boy scientist alive for a Challenge. Best Birthday Present ever, watching four of your friends killed by the best assassin in the world and not dying. My gift to you, man.

You're so generous my dear. :D

eldargal
11-27-2012, 04:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone played HA on PC? If it was designed as a console game, there might be porting issues that gives a completely different experience on the PC compared to on console.

I'm playing on PC, doesn't have any of the issues I usually associate with a console port like terrible graphics and clumsy controls.

plawolf
11-27-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm playing on PC, doesn't have any of the issues I usually associate with a console port like terrible graphics and clumsy controls.

Cool, thanks for letting me know. Was tempted to get it myself, but was worried about porting issues after reading the PC Gamer review so have been holding off till now. Might just have to get myself a copy now after hearing how much fun you guys and girls are all having with it.

Maybe we should start a community challenge to see who can find the most inventive/amusing/unexpected way to kill someone.

Obviously I haven't played the game yet, so will have to wait till I get my mitts on it before I can take part, but maybe some of those who played can amuse and amaze us with tales of your most memorable kill so far?

alshrive
11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
i would love the idea of a community challenge!

DrLove42
11-27-2012, 09:21 AM
Eidos today released 2 bits of concept art for Hitman 6. You know....the one after the one you're all playing.

eldargal
11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I am getting odd FPS drops which may be a PC glitch, I'm not sure. Not exactly game breaking, it just slows down for a couple od second then speeds up to catch up every now and then.

You can find the Hitman 6 concept art here (http://www.shogungamer.com/news/15040/concept-art-surface-hitman-6). I hope the rumours that it won't feature 47 are untrue. Although playing as Hitwoman would be nice.:p

eldargal
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Found my first major-ish bugs, the challenge 'Angel of Death' in the Attack of the Saints level won't trigger no matter what I do, it isn't just me having trouble either, lot of people on forums asking about it.:(

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Although playing as Hitwoman would be nice.:p
You and your women. :rolleyes:

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 03:10 AM

A lot of games at the moment are apparently being developed on PC's and toned down to console power as opposed to when they're mid console cycle and they just badly port them to pc.

Was the PC Gamer review the one that reads like they haven't actually played the game?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-29-2012, 03:37 AM
PC snobbery yet again...

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 04:00 AM
No simple facts, apparently that's how they're geared up ready for the next gen-console titles so it makes it easier to re-port AAA titles for day one release from a higher benchmark than to upscale them from the existing consoles.

eldargal
11-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Was the PC Gamer review the one that reads like they haven't actually played the game?
Possibly, I forgot. There were a couple. Usually I find Eurogamer reviews read like they have never read it but it may have been PC Gamer in this case. But yes it was bad, I've found upwards of four ways and up to a dozen to kill most targets so when you read a review which says there is only one way to do it you have to question what the hell they did with their time in the game.

PC snobbery yet again...
It's not snobbery, consoles have a place but they shouldn't be holding PC gaming back the way they have done in the past.