PDA

View Full Version : Paralysis By Choice!

Tynskel
11-13-2012, 08:26 AM
I think I understand why the interwebz gravitates towards SPAMŽ Lists.

The new codexes are full of choices, expanding the variety of builds out there. That's a good thing!
For someone like me, I like to make lists all the time, especially since I generally like to purchase models. However, I am always stricken by paralysis of the final choices in each list. Which units do I squeeze into my 'theme' list? How do I make it work?

The internetz SPAMŽ List is a solution. Take away the choice. Just use the same unit over and over, bypassing the paralysis.

There are plenty of tournament lists that do quite well and do not have 'duplication' in their design, so it is known that SPAMŽ is not needed. I think it just requires significant effort to design such a list and play test it. It is unfortunate that people do not do so, because part of the fun of the hobby is making new things, which requires not using SPAMŽ.

alshrive
11-13-2012, 08:36 AM
I think I understand why the interwebz gravitates towards SPAMŽ Lists.

The new codexes are full of choices, expanding the variety of builds out there. That's a good thing!
For someone like me, I like to make lists all the time, especially since I generally like to purchase models. However, I am always stricken by paralysis of the final choices in each list. Which units do I squeeze into my 'theme' list? How do I make it work?

The internetz SPAMŽ List is a solution. Take away the choice. Just use the same unit over and over, bypassing the paralysis.

There are plenty of tournament lists that do quite well and do not have 'duplication' in their design, so it is known that SPAMŽ is not needed. I think it just requires significant effort to design such a list and play test it. It is unfortunate that people do not do so, because part of the fun of the hobby is making new things, which requires not using SPAMŽ.

Personally part of the enjoyment in this hobby comes from finding those lists! Playtesting a list, discovering it was completely uselss, tweaking it, playing again...rinse and repeat! many many many many times! Until i finally reach the point where I can say " you know what, it may not be perfect but it works for me and it is MY army". A Spam list takes away the sense of accomplishment from knowing that army has taken time and effort to make work.... SPAM should only come in frittered form....

Tynskel
11-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Funny that you mention that you are satisfied with your decisions:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

Wolfshade
11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
I am a collector, by that I mean that I have a huge model selection, if I like the look of something I will buy it for my army, and chances are that I will collect enough so that if I wanted to I could completely fill up a selection with it e.g. 3 Vindicators 3 Whirlwinds 6 Scout Squads 6 Assault Squads etc. and when I play I used to just grab what I wanted and used them, which I still do, it does make it hard for my opponent to know what is exactly they will be facing. However, I have started to tweek lists, so play around with a core of what I like the look of/has performed well and keep that while mix and match the rest. It is quite good now as I have roughly about 700pts as a core selection rather than opening my cupboard and going "Hmm, who's coming out to play today"

alshrive
11-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Funny that you mention that you are satisfied with your decisions:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

more interesting is that I am satisfied with my decision even when they may not be correct, i am happy because i chose it. be it a positive or negative outcome the choice was my own volition and i rank this far above the satisfaction i may get from simply spamming a list...