PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knights -Arc Angels 2k pt list

Animus Silvanna
11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
So I generally am a sucker for close combat, and ever since I have started playing 40k I have loved jump infantry. So without further adu I give you my Arc Angels list 6th ed style.

HQ- Animus Grand Master: Incinerator, Nemesis Force Halbred (NFH), x2 Servo Skulls, Master-crafted Weapon (MCW), Psychotroke/Rad Grenades-220 pts

Troops- Grey Knight Terminator Squad x5: Psycannon, x2 Hammers, x3 Halbreds, MCW-230 pts

Troops- Grey Knight SS x10: Psycannons x2, 1x Hammer, MCW, Psybolts-225 pts

Fast Attack- Stormraven: Twin-linked Multi-melta, Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Psybolts -225 pts

Fast Attack- Interceptors (Arc Angels): Psycannons x2, x3 NFH, Psybolts, MCW - 320

Heavy Support- Nemesis Dreadknight (Arc Angel): Heavy Incinerator, Nemesis Greatsword, Personal Teleporter -260 pts

Heavy Support- Nemesis Dreadknight (Arc Angel): Heavy Incinerator, Nemesis Greatsword, Personal Teleporter -260 pts

Gives right about 2,000 points if my math skills don't fail me. Basically my list survives on not being in the open and always being locked in close combat in some way. The Grand Master's Grand Strategy special rule allows me to Scout the Stormraven with the terminators inside to have go at first turn assaults. The Strike squad is ofcourse mainly for show up reserves or I can deepstrike them where I need them. If my scout roll is high enough i shall also give it to the Ceptors' squad and a Dreadknight. they outflank and cripple units before charging headlong into them. For objectives games ofcourse pending on the opponent switch the grand strategy to allow my Dreadknights and Ceptors' count as scoring. Trying not to bring them in till later in the game along with the delicate strike squad. Overall My force is highly mobile and I believe to be quite flexible. If the Stormraven lasts past turn 2 * HURRAY* if not I'm not gonna shed any tears. Well look forward to the feed back. Thanks

On a side note i posted this in the wrong thread again....

Wildcard
11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Here's some of the points i can give as feedback you hoped based on your first paragraph description :)

General Stuff
It seems to me you haven't read the rules that much, or atleast haven't understood them deeply enough yet. There are few points that you are trying to achieve that are impossible, or does not work in the way you like. Unit specific problems are in their own entries.

First, scout move specifically states that unit that does scout move or infiltrates is not allowed to assault on the first turn
Second, no unit, unless it has some special rule to do so, may charge the turn it comes from the reserves (it doesn't matter if its deepstrike, outflank or normal reserves)
Third, You do know that at the end of phase if you have no units in the table, enemy automatically wins??
Fourth, You can only reserve up to 50% of those units that are eligible of choosing start in reserves to actually go into reserves.

Interceptors
Interceptors aren't CC unit. No matter how you equip them :( ( That or i've just had terribly bad luck with them)
- Their biggest advatages are 12" movement + 24" solid str 5 firing. Also, nothing says "F*ck You" in the face more than getting 10man interceptor squad with incinerators and psybolts shunted 30" to your home base objective holder on last turn. Or, given theres any luck, 10 man interceptor squad can wipe enemy objective holder on extra turns (those past 5) by assaulting, or by overwatching the enemy assaulting them.
- But if you gear them for close combat they become probably the most expensive squad in 40k thats on small round bases, trying to do stuff they can only do mediocre at best.

Stormraven
First off, you got a major flaw in your rules knowledge: Flyers will always have to start in reserve, no matter what. Thus, scout moving your stormraven is impossible. Also not shedding a tear if you lose over 10% of you points? Thats showing some balls! Even more when you consider the role of your Stormraven and the points inside ( 225 Storm raven + 220 HQ +230 termies = 675 points, and thats 30% of your whole army point wise. Also, getting the flyer destroyed while flying will most likely kill most if not all of your terminators.

Nemesis Dreadknight
- I like that you have found out one of the best builds and uses of NDK :)
- Good in here: Dual / triple builds, never alone
- However, in your strategy you point out running them alone. Not a good idea. Also, you say you are trying to keep them back as long as possible. 780points, thats 40% of your army, sitting in the back waiting? Not a good idea at all!

They are T6 2+ save monsters with 4 wounds each. Run always in pair or, in this case all three of them (unless you deploy second and see that enemy has some nasty surprise on other side of the table that you can safely use 1 dreadknight to deal with). You can spread them out in a way that they can charge different targets (like destroying multiple tanks in one turn) but they also keep each other safe like no other. Tell me what unit in the game is not threatened by consentrated power of 15x Ws5 Str10 Ap2 hits that re-roll hits wounds and armor penetrations and comes total with 12 wounds ona 2+ 5++ saves?

They move rapidly, and there is a reason why they can change the side of the table once in a game with that 30" movement.

Ending Thoughts

I strongly recommend for you to read the following rules:
- Reserves
- Scouting
- Flyers
- Damage to passengers (flyers)
- Disembarging from flyer

Here are some conclusions as well:
- Stormravens most important role is to crack open some nasty piece of armor (mostly 14 AV landraiders or monoliths, or something like vindicator/demolisher with str10 ap2 large blasts)
- Stormravens greatest strenght is that it is flyer, it is only hit on 6, if enemy does not have skyfire. If you want to make us of its assault vehicle rule, you need to drop the flying and change the mode to hover. This makes it a fast skimmer and as a result its hit using normal ballistic skill. And this is bad :)

Also, you didn't state if you were playing competitively or friendly 'have fun' games?

Quite the opposite to the common knowledge, Grey Knights can be used to make fun, challenging and rewarding games for both players. However, if you wanna kick your oppoenent to the back of his skull while he is biting pavement and desecrate his remains afterwards thats easy as hell as well with the GK.

So state your purpose and intents!

I am more than happy to help you more, and hope these points did help!

-Wildcard

Animus Silvanna
11-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks I shall give it a thorough read through. I had planned for this to both be competitive and fun to play needing a bit of skill to make it work. In 5th ed it worked rather well but instead of the terminators squad I used a librarian with that standard array of power and another strike squad but with also one less Dreadknight. I plan and always use my Dreadknights in tandem with the other units to have multiple charging unit. It just so happens that I can make them scoring too but that is not my intended purpose is to have them camp an objective. Also on a side note never thought to have the Ceptors' shunt to objectives with Incinerators, always had psycannons as the way to go.

Wildcard
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Well, i guess you could use the interceptors to get fast into high ground and shoot the psycannons after that..
In my opinion its a great waste to put psycannons on 'ceptors since they are your most mobile force and the more you move the more psycannons as a tool and as a total investment suffers. Not to mention what other uses you would have for ~300point unit

Demonus
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Personally I would suggest dropping the third NDK for 2 squads of troops. 1. More boots on the ground, hidden or whatever 2. additional scoring units

I personally like 2 NDK and dont even go with the sword that often. 2 fists is usually good enough for me (course I modeled with the Sword cause it looks better)

Animus Silvanna
11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Ohhh Goodness who the hell thought it was a good idea to change the scout special rule???? The should be put in an airlock and launched into space. No suit even. The Stormraven as a transport I still dont see as a bad idea but it does voice me some deep concerns. I'll have to rework the tactics a bit and see where that leaves me if the list itself is still good