PDA

View Full Version : Noob Problems - Choosing an Army in 6e

David Blumenthal
11-11-2012, 06:27 PM
So I'm just now getting back into 40k after playing back in 3e (very) briefly.

What with the new edition, I have many possibilities ahead of me. I want to play a xenos army, but not until I've made a substantial marine army.

The Dark Angels looming on the horizon have my eye, but everything is still rumor with them, so I'm really not sure what to work on. It even sounds like we have new space marine kits coming out around the same time, so I'm not positive when I should begin to collect. I plan to do some buying with holiday money, so I've been thinking about it.

I plan on playing the first xenos army to come out after Dark Angels, which sounds like either Orks or Eldar.

Sorry if my topic seems unfocused. My main request for advice is what would likely be safe to invest in as far as Dark Angels at this point. Ideally what I can begin to play with.

Thoughts?

White Tiger88
11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Dark Eldar, There lots of fun and have awesome sculpts! But...IF your stuck on Dark Angel's pretty much just build lots of plasma spam units using the current codex all signs seem to point to DA plasma <3

David Blumenthal
11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I have to admit that the Dark Eldar look fantastic! There is definitely some pull there. :D

Not to derail the topic, but how did the Dark Eldar under the new edition?

White Tiger88
11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I have to admit that the Dark Eldar look fantastic! There is definitely some pull there. :D

You can take 6 Fliers in a list............. So Well Very well. Sadly i am selling mine thought since i am having fun building a WW2 Era Death Korps army.....(I don't win as much but its funny to see people go WTF is that)

Mr.Pickelz
11-11-2012, 08:03 PM
As far as marine armies go, Codex Space Marines is still a good book to use, Blood Angels and Space Wolves each have their niche and with Allies in the 6th ed. Rulebook, you can take either book to fill that piece of your army if you don't like the options in your own book. Just to be clear, there were more than just the Ultramarines that took to the Codex Astartes, so you don't have to play as the boys in blue. Salamanders with Vulkan He'stan is still really good (he was a "go to" option in 5th ed.), also White Scars (aka lots of bikes) can be really fun to play with, the changes in biker stats (you always take the bracketed value, aka the bikers are now Toughness 5 even when looking at instant death due to Str 8 wounds). For Xenos, i would always recommend Orks. 6th ed. overall has benefited the ork codex, it changed a couple of things in a negative way, but overall the Ork Codex got a boost.

Archon Charybdis
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM

Overall pretty well. There were definitely a few nerfs (S4 explosions even for open-topped vehicles, FNP/furious charge nerf, Overwatch), but plenty of perks and relative boost (Jink saves, Rapid-fire boost, AP2 Klaives and Dark Lances, Overwatch).

walrusman999
11-11-2012, 08:46 PM
For xenos, Tau got a boost, orks are doing well, eldar/dark eldar are doing well, and necrons are doing fantastic right now. I would vote against tyranids though they are the most xenos out there as they lost most of their pro-tier armies with the removal of genestealer outflanking. As for your Dark Angels, always good to stock up on some standard DA marines. :D you can't go wrong with normal troopers if you are trying to start an army. Great for proxy till you find your niche, and they have a variety of parts to let you pick and choose before committing to anything.

Wolfshade
11-12-2012, 03:26 AM
I have a small Ork army and I just love the randomness, which for somepeople isn't their thing. Like having a psyker who is just a likely to wipe out his own squad as the enemy. The green tide allows to you drop a lot of models for not too many points. They have some interesting options, but one thing I would say is boyz before toyz!

Charistoph
11-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Sorry if my topic seems unfocused. My main request for advice is what would likely be safe to invest in as far as Dark Angels at this point. Ideally what I can begin to play with.

Thoughts?

Start with Dark Vengeance. Good Dark Angels collection to begin with, especially if you can get that Chaplain. Then either a second Tactical Squad and/or Belial and a second Terminator Squad (your pick of style).

From there, as suits your desires and purposes. Maybe a Land Speeder to support your Ravenwing, or tanks to support the rest of your troops. More tacticals to give depth to your force, more Termiantors for more punch, or Sammael and more Ravenwing bikes to go for the the fast style.

For Aliens, just make sure you can Ally with Dark Angels, which looks like everyone but Dark Eldar and Tyranids. Then you can build up a force and use what you already have.