PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a finer detail (better) brush than the GW fine detail.

Merx
11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey,

I have seen brushes knocking around that have a very very short and compact tip. The GW fine detail brush is all well and good but I often find it too flimsy to apply paint to a hard to reach area without getting it all over the surrounding area. I'm sure we have all nearly screamed at a messed up eye that has meant an entire re-colouring of the bits around it!

What is the name of this brush I am looking for? And where can I purchase one? (preferably cheap and online, amazon maybe?)

So yeah, shorter and more compact than the GW fine detail brush. Ideal use is for eyes and small bolts and nibs on armour etc.

Cheers,
merx

Merx
11-11-2012, 06:04 PM
In exchange for your help, here are my white Beastmen.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313765_10150894823945175_581662629_n.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/524462_10152045482020175_732166801_n.jpg

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/539366_10152065441380175_664269931_n.jpg

el_tigre
11-11-2012, 07:11 PM
No idea as far as the brush goes, but nice models, I like the pale scheme, makes for a cool contrast with the dark fur, etc.

Lunar Camel
11-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I use a Sceptre Gold II 001 by Winsor & Newton. I use it for eyes, highlights, script, and really fine detail. You can get one at any artists store ($8 on the high end, $4 at the low). They're made out of a blend of sable/synthetic so they hold a point really well and keep the paint flowing. The bristles are also shorter so they don't drag or bend when you're using it.

Hope this helps.

Cpt Codpiece
11-12-2012, 04:31 AM
i know what you mean about longer brushes, i have just aquired the army painter brushes.

wow i am impressed, they seem great. i have not had a proper try of them due to pappa nurgle gifting me a choice synus contagion.

but the insane detail brush is exactly that. its tiny (it is still long however) and when wet does not seem to give/bend as much as the GW brushes i have. the psycho brush seems to be a shorter brush but i cant comment as i dont have one of those yet.

OrksOrksOrks
11-12-2012, 07:03 AM
the size of the brush isn't that important really, the insane detail brushes are tiny, but that means they hold nearly no paint, you need a really good point and for that, you'll need Kolinsky Sable. W&N are amazing brushes, the GW Eavy Metal brushes are actually rebranded W&N Kolinsky Sable brushes, they're really nice, I use Rosemary and Co series 33s, they're great and for the price can't be beaten, if you're in the UK anyway, really recommend giving them a try, every decent to top level painter I know, which is a few, use them

Psychosplodge
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Nice beastmen, had you been playing God of war?:D

Narcissus
11-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I have been using Raphael Kolinsky Sable brushes recently. You can buy them here at Secret Weapon Miniatures (http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=113). They brush holds more paint than the Windsor Newton brushes (in my experience). I find this makes it slightly easier to paint details as the paint does not dry on the brush as quickly.

Cpt Codpiece
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
the size of the brush isn't that important really, the insane detail brushes are tiny, but that means they hold nearly no paint, you need a really good point and for that, you'll need Kolinsky Sable. W&N are amazing brushes, the GW Eavy Metal brushes are actually rebranded W&N Kolinsky Sable brushes, they're really nice, I use Rosemary and Co series 33s, they're great and for the price can't be beaten, if you're in the UK anyway, really recommend giving them a try, every decent to top level painter I know, which is a few, use them

while i am not in any dispute over W&N kolinsky quality, in army painters defence the wargamer line are quoted to be rotmarder sable, doing a little digging online and the terms seem interchangable between kolinsky and rotmarder, even W&N have used the term (or at least in an shop description i saw) .

i will have an answer this weekend as i plan on breaking in my new paint set now my lurg has gone :)

beastmen look really cool, its quite striking to see such a pale scheme on them as they tend to just be brown all over LOL