PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic Free to Play on Nov. 15

eldargal
11-11-2012, 02:27 AM
SWTOR is going free-to-play (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20121108) on November 15th, and if you reactivate an old account before December 20th you get a bonus in the new game coinage thingamie Cartel Coins.

Just thought I'd let people know, it's my favourite MMO in a long time and having it free to play should make it a lot more attractive to people. Personally I'm keeping my subscription.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-11-2012, 02:30 AM
I did offer to play it with you. xD

Emerald Rose Widow
11-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Yknow, I loved it and still love the game, just after I got level 50 there really wasn't much for me to do. Maybe I have moved away from my primary MMO days, and moved on to tabletop, but overall it was a great game. Grant you when I started there was no easy way to form groups for instances, and there were only 3 warzones (and I ended up playing huttball 90% of the time). So hopefully with all the new stuff and a group finder I can really get back into it. Looking forward to using the free to play when it comes out soon, play my sith again. Though I will probably be moving servers as my guild was dead and the like, so it would be better to play on another server or something.

What server are you on Eldargal, if you dont mind me playin with ya.

Deadlift
11-11-2012, 02:55 AM
F2P makes it a bit more attractive, but I know so many long term players that were disappointed with this game and soon cancelled their sub. A few SWG players who said this game was no where near as good. I cant comment as I haven't played it but to be honest, I am happy waiting for Elder Scrolls Online.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-11-2012, 03:05 AM
I am happy waiting for Elder Scrolls Online.

Legend! :D

It's going to be kickass, I think I may be a Nord with you Deadlift. Nord Mages are quite cool. :D

eldargal
11-11-2012, 03:34 AM
A few SWG players who said this game was no where near as good. I cant comment as I haven't played it...
Much of the criticism of the game came from former SWG players who wanted SWTOR to be SWG2. It was never going to be, and the developers made it clear from the beginning but this expectation was still there. The irony is SWG was rubbish. I played it until the New Game Enhancement completely destroyed what it was, and while it had glimmers of brilliance it was mostly potential rather than fulfillment. It had the makings of a brilliant game and if the developers had stuck to their guns instead of listening to a small but vocal group of players and then completely change the game it could have been brilliant.

But it wasn't. It was broken, unbalanced and ultimately an incredible disappointment and what people are mostly thinking of when they think of SWG was the glimmers of greatness and the massive potential it had, not the reality. I loved SWG, but SWTOR is a superior game, whether or not someone likes it is of course up to them. I could write an essay on why comparing SWG to SWTOR is ridiculous.:rolleyes: The onl thing they share is the license, nothing else is particularly comparable. One was a sandbox that initially put you in the galaxy as just a regular girl/guy, one casts you as the hero from the beginning. One is a sandbox, the other is carefully scripted and story driven, one had an open skill advancement system the other was level based etc.

I actually ignored SWTOR for years precisely because it was clear it wasn't going to be SWG, but when I accepted that I actually became more interested and I was really pleased with it.

ERW, I'm actually on an Australian server as the two people I play with most are Australian. It means rather irritating lag but most of my British and European friends don't play MMOs anymore so I either play completely on my own or I put up with lag.:(

Emerald Rose Widow
11-11-2012, 03:40 AM
ERW, I'm actually on an Australian server as the two people I play with most are Australian. It means rather irritating lag but most of my British and European friends don't play MMOs anymore so I either play completely on my own or I put up with lag.:(

As long as I have people to play with I am totally fine with that. What faction do you play?

eldargal
11-11-2012, 05:11 AM
Sith Empire.:)

Wildeybeast
11-11-2012, 06:15 AM
I might actually bother to play it now. Is it permanently F2P or is there a level cap?

Cap'nSmurfs
11-11-2012, 06:40 AM
You can play up to level 50 on F2P - you level slower and there's some other restrictions, but you can play the entire questlines for free. It's a good deal.

I've been a subscriber most of its life. It's a good game which didn't deserve 70% of the criticism. Got a Bounty Hunter at the moment. I like Bounty Hunters.

eldargal
11-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Yep, and what is annoying is that much legitimate and constructive criticism got buried in the tide of filth which can't have made BWs job at improving the game any easier. Space Combat for example could be improved a lot even within the current framework. They have at least acknowledged that new content needs to be a priority and are promising content patches every six weeks. The next one is coming with F2P and included a new epic quest line to get a new commpanion, a HK51 droid. For those who played KOTOR it is an newer model of HK47.:)

Here is an article (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121107)which talks about the F2P system and there are two videos on the SWTOR site worth watching. Former subscribers who reactivate their account get Preferred Player status or something, which removes the exp rate decrease that F2P players have amongst other things.

Wildeybeast
11-11-2012, 06:49 AM
You can play up to level 50 on F2P - you level slower and there's some other restrictions, but you can play the entire questlines for free. It's a good deal.

I've been a subscriber most of its life. It's a good game which didn't deserve 70% of the criticism. Got a Bounty Hunter at the moment. I like Bounty Hunters.

Cool, that's quite good.

Deadlift
11-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Legend! :D

It's going to be kickass, I think I may be a Nord with you Deadlift. Nord Mages are quite cool. :D

Sounds good to me ;)

White Tiger88
11-11-2012, 06:47 PM
SWTOR is going free-to-play (http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20121108) on November 15th, and if you reactivate an old account before December 20th you get a bonus in the new game coinage thingamie Cartel Coins.

Just thought I'd let people know, it's my favorite MMO in a long time and having it free to play should make it a lot more attractive to people. Personally I'm keeping my subscription.

I got to max level, got all my stuff then almost shot my self trying to find something left to do in game that wasn't ether impossible to solo on a low population server or So easy i could fall asleep and still win....

Emerald Rose Widow
11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Sith Empire.:)

Excellent, I approve totally, could you possibly send me a private message with character name and server, if you would enjoy my company online, lol. Would be cool to play with some people for once and not just pvp to death on that game, which was the reason I had shut off my subscription to begin with.

What class specifically do you play?

eldargal
11-13-2012, 03:00 AM
I should warn you I'm horrible to play MMOs with, I prefer to solo as much as I can and only group for dungeons (or flashpoints in SWTOR) and Heroic quests and whatnot and onl when I absolutely have to.:rolleyes: My main, a level 50 Sith Warrior, has 0 Social points, just doign the first level ten flashpoint with one other person nets you 70-80.

Here is a chart comparing subscriber and free to play access (http://www.swtor.com/free/features) for those that want to see exactly what F2P gets them.

I have:

50 Sith Warrior (my main, all companions at max affection, Slicing/Investigation/Underworld Trading all at 400, pretty clothes etc.)
29 Sith Inquisitor
18 Imperial Agent
11 Bounty Hunter

50 Jedi Knight
18 Smuggler
10 Trooper

Waiting until Togruta become a playable species before making a Jedi consular.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-13-2012, 03:08 AM
:D

Anti-social. Hahahahahaha!

eldargal
11-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Yep. Bit embarressing really, I ought to group up for some flashpoints more especially now with the group finder thingamie. Also I've noticed a lot of people reactivating their accounts in the lead-up to F2P, the number of people on seems to have roughly doubled. Hopefully this will continue after it is actually F2P and not just people paying 15 or whatever to get preferred player status.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-13-2012, 07:16 AM
You aren't anti-social, I was joking hun. :)
*hug*

eldargal
11-15-2012, 12:25 AM
Well it's true in MMOs, friends are for talking with, not questing with.:p

SWTOR servers just went down 25 minutes ago for approximately twelve hours for the F2P patch and update 1.5.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Well then, we need to talk. :p

Emerald Rose Widow
11-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Well it's true in MMOs, friends are for talking with, not questing with.:p

SWTOR servers just went down 25 minutes ago for approximately twelve hours for the F2P patch and update 1.5.

Well I mean its more than just playing dungeons and stuff with folk, there is also having people to chat with, otherwise I tend to bore of MMO's really easily. Even if I just have people to chat with it makes it a whole lot better

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Indeed, that's why I love XBL. :D

eldargal
12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
SWTOR has announced its first paid expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel (http://www.swtor.com/rothc). Price is 9.99 for subscribers or 19.99 for regular folk. £5.99/11.99.

The first Digital Expansion for The Old Republic™ introduces an aggressive new enemy threatening the future of the galaxy: the Hutt Cartel

Experience 5 new levels, including story-driven missions, as the level cap increases to 55!
Face-off against a frightening new enemy when you battle the nefarious Hutt Cartel.
The fate of the new planet Makeb is at stake... and in your hands.
Stay tuned for more information coming soon - Over the next few months we will reveal more exciting new features!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Makeb... Why is that familiar...? *thinks*

I think I had a Space Marine Captain named that at some point...

White Tiger88
12-18-2012, 06:25 PM
SWTOR has announced its first paid expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel (http://www.swtor.com/rothc). Price is 9.99 for subscribers or 19.99 for regular folk. £5.99/11.99.

Well if they do things right they might be able to save the game.

eldargal
12-19-2012, 01:33 AM
If it needs saving (http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=547927). It is still the No. 2 MMO on the market with between 500k and one million subscribers and it has been said they needed 500k for twelve months to break even and when you consider they had over 1m for around six months there is no reason to take the doomsday predictions too seriously in my opinion.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-19-2012, 02:19 AM
I don't even know what makes Maple Story popular...

eldargal
01-24-2013, 12:52 AM
There is now a first look video of Rise of the Hutt Cartel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNzUwBIbNU&feature=youtu.be), I think it looks great personally.