PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating a Change of Chapter

ElectricPaladin
11-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm considering changing directions with my marines project, because contemplating all the stuff I've lost is getting a bit depressing. I know that this is entirely normal, and I don't feel down on myself for dwelling on the lost, but it seems like a change of direction would be fun way to dispel the past.

The thing is, I have several models that survived the catastrophe, including a land raider and a bunch of terminators that I really don't want to completely repaint.

The long and the short of it is that I'm considering turning my Blood Ravens into Exorcists. They're already the right color. All I'd need to do is change the shoulder pads on my terminators from white to black (and the crux terminati from metal to bone) and figure out how to paint a bone skull. And change out some of the symbols on the land raider. Anyway, it's an entirely manageable project, and it will keep me busy.

What do you all think? I'm solidly on the line here, and I'd like your input to tip me over one way or the other.

Havik110
11-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm considering changing directions with my marines project, because contemplating all the stuff I've lost is getting a bit depressing. I know that this is entirely normal, and I don't feel down on myself for dwelling on the lost, but it seems like a change of direction would be fun way to dispel the past.

The thing is, I have several models that survived the catastrophe, including a land raider and a bunch of terminators that I really don't want to completely repaint.

The long and the short of it is that I'm considering turning my Blood Ravens into Exorcists. They're already the right color. All I'd need to do is change the shoulder pads on my terminators from white to black (and the crux terminati from metal to bone) and figure out how to paint a bone skull. And change out some of the symbols on the land raider. Anyway, it's an entirely manageable project, and it will keep me busy.

What do you all think? I'm solidly on the line here, and I'd like your input to tip me over one way or the other.

Time to look at a certain producer of stuff that may be in the middle of a law suit
http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/Exorcist%20grey%20PA%20redux-224x224.jpg

RealGenius
11-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Change is healthy. My Black Templars have become Marines Exemplar will become Space Wolves. That's the best part about Marines.

ElectricPaladin
11-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Time to look at a certain producer of stuff that may be in the middle of a law suit
http://chapterhousestudios.com/image/cache/data/Exorcist%20grey%20PA%20redux-224x224.jpg

I actually can't find that anywhere on their site...

Scratch that - found it.

I'm not sure how fond I am of the raised rim, but the horned skull is very nice. I'll have to think about this...

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Go for it, Exorcists are pretty awesome. It'll stop you from feeling like you're just replacing what was lost, which would be kinda depressing (sorry to hear about the loss, so much effort just gone). They're an army I considered doing before I decided my Chaos and Hrud gave me enough to deal with, could be a lot of fun!

ElectricPaladin
11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Ok... I'm gradually becoming pro-Exorcists.

In case I decide not to go with the Chapterhouse bits (Kristen would come after me... :D), can anyone point me in the direction of Exorcists transfers that I could print out?

ElectricPaladin
11-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Scratch that - found it.

So... how would I go about putting those onto the models? Where do I find the appropriate kind of paper? Do I need special ink?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-10-2012, 10:02 PM
BoLS had a decal tutorial back in '07; http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-custom-decal-sheets.html

ElectricPaladin
11-11-2012, 04:40 AM
BoLS had a decal tutorial back in '07; http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-custom-decal-sheets.html

Awesome. Got it bookmarked. Will get on this project immediately.

Gotthammer
11-11-2012, 04:44 AM
From The Warp has a step by step for painting Librarian heraldry (http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/flesh-tearer-librarian-completed.html) that might come in handy.

Learn2Eel
11-11-2012, 04:47 AM
I understand what you are going through is very difficult, and I do hope that there is some way your works can be at least re-funded. But yeah, there's definitely no substitute for actually having them - all the work you put in, gone. Personally, if something like that happened to me, I too would probably move on to something else - trying to do all of it again would feel almost like justification for what someone else did. It just wouldn't feel right to me. So basically - yeah, I think starting Exorcists and converting your old models would a great option. It should help you to move on from the debacle at the very least, and hey, you may find you come to appreciate and identify with them more.

ElectricPaladin
11-11-2012, 04:54 AM
I understand what you are going through is very difficult, and I do hope that there is some way your works can be at least re-funded. But yeah, there's definitely no substitute for actually having them - all the work you put in, gone. Personally, if something like that happened to me, I too would probably move on to something else - trying to do all of it again would feel almost like justification for what someone else did. It just wouldn't feel right to me. So basically - yeah, I think starting Exorcists and converting your old models would a great option. It should help you to move on from the debacle at the very least, and hey, you may find you come to appreciate and identify with them more.

Yeah... the thing about Exorcists is that they're pretty much the only (well, one of two) chapters that I had "picker's remorse" for once I started the Blood Ravens (the other, btw, was Salamanders - I like green). I think I'll have more fun with Exorcists, in part because they're rare. I know of someone in my area who'se painting Salamanders - I've never even heard of someone out here painting Exorcists. This feels like a good way to dispel some of the bad feelings - I'm doing it.

olberon
11-11-2012, 05:29 AM
just go for it m8

like i did , changed from blood raven to minotaurs to red scorps in just a week, also if you ned a more custom transfersheet just pm me ill happily make one for you :P

magickbk
11-11-2012, 09:57 AM
A few months back there was a thread on models lost in this way, I tried to find it, but couldn't. On there I related a story about how I spent forever on my Captain, only to have him lifted by someone during the first game he saw action in. I ended up selling off the rest of my army and starting something else because I just couldn't bear re-doing the work. A change will do you good.

Kevin48220
11-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I would agree with the general consensus--it would be good to seriously consider making a change. I think that you will be reminded too much of what was lost if you simply try to replicate it. And, it sounds like the Exorcists are a project you've wanted to do for a while now. I also agree that there's a certain psychological or personal value in starting an Exorcists army to purge the negativity of the theft.

But, whichever way you go, bottom line has to be that your army lets you enjoy the game.

bfmusashi
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Captain Silas is kind of a beast, have fun!