PDA

View Full Version : Now we just need some real, working Power Armour

SotonShades
11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.itworld.com/science/312446/man-shows-his-bionic-robot-arm

Well, possibly not quite up to the standards of the Adeptus Mechanicus, but a good step in the right direction!

heretic marine
11-10-2012, 09:36 AM
that is really cool.
Imagine the what we can do now that we are getting better bionics

RGilbert26
11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Erm a bionic arm has nothing to do with power armour, I fail to see the relevance.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-10-2012, 01:05 PM
It is, however, a 40k reference.

Houghten
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Erm a bionic arm has nothing to do with power armour, I fail to see the relevance.

Au contraire. Unless you happen to have a Black Carapace, the power armour user interface will work much like this man's hand...

RGilbert26
11-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I disagree with it being a 40k reference, other sci-fi universes have bionics.

Houghten
11-10-2012, 04:27 PM
*facebionic*

I think TDA meant the thread was a 40k reference, not the hand. The hand isn't a reference to anything, ever, anywhere. It's just a man's robot hand. He can pick things up with it, you know, like you do with hands?

jgebi
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
you guys need to learn something about robotics, because this would allow you to start to make power armor. I do say start because it's not a proper suite which links with your nervous system. This hand uses preempted muscular movement to project what you would be doing, with say your hands but it shows that in 10 years basic power armor might be plausible saying that we found the metals need to make the armor and figured out how to make a controlled plasma reactor (that's what the power armor runs of) but all in all this looks like a lot of fun.

RGilbert26
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Sadly our current tech is far from able to create even a large scale plasma reactor, yet alone a miniature one for a suit of power armour.

We do have power armour already though, US is developing some and the Japanese have powered suits designed for helping patients. Obviously in prototype form.

fuzzbuket
11-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Sadly our current tech is far from able to create even a large scale plasma reactor, yet alone a miniature one for a suit of power armour.

We do have power armour already though, US is developing some and the Japanese have powered suits designed for helping patients. Obviously in prototype form.

dont forget sudiobashi heavy industeries.
http://www.facebook.com/suidobashijuko?fref=ts

SotonShades
11-11-2012, 06:25 AM
All very good points, not to mention that current generation fibre bundle muscles are far too inefficient to provide motive power to an armoured suit and still be small enough to fit in it. There is a long way to go, but we have about 28,000 years to get it right before the Emperor unites the waring tribes of Terra, and all this technology has basicly come about in the last hundred or so... I think we are on a good track!