PDA

View Full Version : Which Russ Eats Troops fastest?

White Tiger88
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Well i am rather stuck as to what i should model my second leman russ as...... I was going to go for a second Exterminator but then i thought it might be fun to experiment a bit! SO i am stuck trying to figure out what lovely russ is the best at eating hordes of enemy troops (Orks, Nids, other guard.......) So anyone got suggestions? The base of the tank will be a German Tiger 1 so lets go for something a bit fitting! As things sit i am stuck between these 4 but any and all idea's would be great!

Leman Russ Punisher (Take cover saves....i got 20 shots)
Leman Russ Eradicator
Leman Russ Demolisher
Leman Russ Exterminator (Listed just in case it IS the best choice...)

Any and all suggestions\opinions are welcome!

ElectricPaladin
11-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Buy extra turrets on eBay. Field all of them, then you tell us.

White Tiger88
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
IF i had cash i would :P i have to convert up my russ! Mind you i could just hit a kid with a hammer and take his russ turret.......

Sir Biscuit
11-09-2012, 08:35 PM
It's the Executioner with Plasma Cannon sponsons.

While the blast are smaller, there's 5 of them, and it ends up being capable of scoring WAY more hits than any of the blast or direct-fire Russ variants. Think of it this way: if you're shooting at a 5 man squad, a large blast can score 5 potential hits. 5 small blasts can score 25.

The "Plasmacutioner", as we call it around here, eats up absolutely everything. Terminators, marines, hordes of infantry- there are very few things that can outkill it. It's one of hte things I most fear in 40k, because nothing is safe from it.

Tynskel
11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
short of that (besides, your tank will probably kill itself), I like the Exterminator. Gives you flexibility. Take 2 hv bolters, and a lascannon. If you are feeling cool, take Pask, too. Then it becomes real burly against just about anything.

lobster-overlord
11-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I use the Lawn Mower. It's a punisher with Front HB and HB sponsons. My main opponent that I've played with using it is orcs, so it's very useful against Green Tides and the like. Not so much against heavier armoured troops though.

John M>

plawolf
11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Invest in some magnets and a hand drill and you can field any and all variants you like at very little additional cost.

Houghten
11-10-2012, 01:20 AM
My intuition tells me that against the enemies you've specified the Eradicator's nova cannon is the best bet, because it won't allow them any save at all.

However, I haven't actually crunched any numbers. It's kind of hard to tell how many Termagants you're likely to hit with a blast weapon because different opponents use different spacings.

Dorsai
11-13-2012, 01:19 PM
As an IG player, I love fielding a squadron of 2 Executioners with plasma sponsons. That much plasma going down range destroys pretty much anything it fires at. Throw in a hull mounted lascannon and it can take on anything. Of course, with the new hull points system, my lemans aren't as big a threat to my opponents that they used to be. For crying out loud, I lost to an ork squad in the very first shots of the game. All they could do was glance the front armor, but they got five of them.

Kyban
11-13-2012, 01:41 PM
(besides, your tank will probably kill itself)

Actually it's really quite unlikely and I'm pretty sure the main cannon doesn't even have the gets hot rule.

Nabterayl
11-13-2012, 02:02 PM
It doesn't. Plasma cannon sponsons can still Gets Hot! you to death, but the executioner plasma cannon itself is perfectly safe.

AdamHarry
11-13-2012, 02:09 PM
It's the Executioner with Plasma Cannon sponsons.
It's one of hte things I most fear in 40k, because nothing is safe from it.

Except for flyers. this tank can't hit a flyer.

However, i would agree this variant will kill lots of tightly packed infantry models.

Dorsai
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I use my Vendetta's for taking out flyers. Of course, nobody locally doesn't have the money to field the necron air force, much less want too.

Nabterayl
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
By the way, I have to agree about the Eradicator if by "troops" you mean orks, nids, and guard. If those are your intended targets, I'd rather have an eradicator nova cannon (and plasma cannon sponsons) than an executioner plasma cannon, and you save points, too.

DWest
11-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Instead of the nova cannon, I'd rather run Griffons. Barrage doesn't ignore *all* cover, but it does ignore several kinds, Barrage means you can template-snipe models, and it's half the cost. Short of that, I personally like the Punisher w/ Pask, it's an absolute nightmare for infantry and AV 12 or lower vehicles (remember Pask adds +1 to penetration vs. vehicles).

entendre_entendre
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
The Exterminator is good for cheap dakka, but the Executioner will roflstomp marines and 2+ saves. An executioner with heavy bolter sponsors can work out too if you're on a points budget, but plasmacannons eat everything if you have the points. Pask optional for the Executioner as the main gun is twin-linked, but not worth it on the executioner.

Wolfshade
11-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Either way I would really commend the Pask upgrade, totally worth his points in my BotEC