PDA

View Full Version : new GW Wall of Martyrs up for pre-order

JMichael
11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=&prodId=prod1770002a

Rapture
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I didn't know the price until now. Maybe they could have shaved it a little if they didn't bother sticking Cadian corpses all over it.

bfmusashi
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
It's how we hold the line.

Nabterayl
11-09-2012, 03:20 PM
"Sons of Cadia! We do not hold the line: WE ARE THE LINE!"

Though assuming this is the same high-quality plastic they use in their Aegis lines and bastions, I think that's probably a reasonable price. Not one I will be paying, but really, I think the pieces themselves are pretty damn cool.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who's noticed that the Shock Troopers are on the outside of the fortifications? They work just fine for Imperial fortifications that have been taken by a xenos army and held against a concerted Cadian counter-attack.

White Tiger88
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Wish i had money atm...that trench would make an awesome building to use with my guard........(It would also troll anyone trying to charge you...)

Houghten
11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion the pieces (Bunker, Emplacement, Line) will be available separately later.

Rapture
11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
It's how we hold the line.

Those corpses make it very characterful, but it just hurts the versatility too much. They make the same mistake on a lot of their kits (like with the skulls on the RoB board or the massive reapers on the FoR).

Nabterayl
11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Eh, I don't know. I mean, honestly, who else builds trenches and bunkers? Orks, I guess, but ... I'd rather have an Imperial-built trench to orkify than have GW actually sell an ork trench. Space marines, eldar, necrons, tyranids, and Tau aren't really the trench-building types. Bunkers, maybe, but I like the addition of bunker strongpoints to the trench system.

I was initially against the bodies piled up against the trenches, but on consideration, I like it better than pristine sections. And the fact that a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen have died trying to retake the trench doesn't make me feel like another faction can't own it. Yeah, okay, maybe my campaign narrative has no Guard units present on planet for this battle. On balance I'll take that small hit to verisimillitude in exchange for the coolness factor they add compared to bare walls.

jgebi
11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
But necrons would have trenchs I reacan, buy they wouldn't do the whole pop in pop out and tau would for sure use trenchs and nids would just eat them OMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Houghten
11-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Necron trenches are actually tunnels, not to mention traps that seem perfectly normal from up above. They're big enough to fly a Monolith through and the top is just thin enough that the moment anyone steps on it they fall through. When they bounce off a Monolith it wakes up, and that one sends out a signal that wakes all the others up - and they all teleport out to the surface and disgorge phalanxes of Warriors and Immortals to slaughter the hapless falling idiot's comrades.

The above fluff has no basis in canon, I just made it up because I'm at that level of sleep deprivation that's equivalent to a 10% blood alcohol so it seems funnier.

Nabterayl
11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
It's long been a part of the lore, though, that Tau don't believe in holding ground. It certainly makes sense that they would have modular fortifications for setting up temporary strongpoints, along the lines of an Aegis line or air-transportable prefabricated bunkers (which we've heard rumors of being in the pipe), but extensive trench networks imply a long-term presence that the Empire strives not to have.

magickbk
11-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I want to see the rules first, but I really like the set.

The Cadian corpses do have a sort of "We'll choke their rivers with our dead!" sort of feel, though.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Wow, anyone else shocked the box of 5 DV cultists for being only £6? That's a pretty damn reasonable and affordable price, even for poor folk like me. Maybe the Mayan calender was right afterall? well, I never thought id approve of the priec of a GW boxset :D well done GW, props to you.

eldargal
11-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Seven feet on defences in the box according to the GW blog, and even just looking at the pictures I think it is a bargain for one hundred pounds.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I think so too.

Don't think I'll be able to buy it though, oh well. FWP.

Cherub
11-10-2012, 03:09 AM
7 feet? nice I am glad I ordered 2 then. Should give me lots of terrain for the new table.

SotonShades
11-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Much much want! I can really imagine them looking great on my swamp board :)

Not sure I havethat amount of cash spare at the moment, but that's what christmas and birthday money is for!

Chris*ta
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
You know what I find most interesting about this. Wall of Martyrs isn't the name of the product, the name is Imperial Defence Network. Wall of Martyrs is a logo on the box front down in the bottom right. Almost as if it's a range of products ...

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=3229&d=1352481958

alshrive
11-15-2012, 10:48 AM
a very interesting spot.....

Defenestratus
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
You know that GW has trained your brain well when you consider $160 "a good deal" for a bunch of walls and a trench :P

(I thought the same thing before I slapped myself)

inquisitorsog
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
You know that GW has trained your brain well when you consider $160 "a good deal" for a bunch of walls and a trench :P

It has the side benefit of making me feel very good about buying Pegasus Hobbies terrain.

lobster-overlord
11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
It has the side benefit of making me feel very good about buying Pegasus Hobbies terrain.

Seriously. For $160 you can build your own complete trench table that is correctly sized for trenches IN GROUND rather than above it.

Sounds like I have my new project for the winter... (I was going to build a mining facility, but now I suppose I'll build a mining facility with a trench defense line).

JOhn M>

Gir
11-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Seriously. For $160 you can build your own complete trench table that is correctly sized for trenches IN GROUND rather than above it.

Sounds like I have my new project for the winter... (I was going to build a mining facility, but now I suppose I'll build a mining facility with a trench defense line).

JOhn M>

Where are these awesome cheap trenches everyone keeps talking about? I can't find them anywhere.

inquisitorsog
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Where are these awesome cheap trenches everyone keeps talking about? I can't find them anywhere.

GW only did a limited run of them. They are "going on sale" this weekend, but it looks like pre-orders snapped them all up. It's possible the individual components will be available in the semi-near future.

Mr Mystery
11-15-2012, 04:29 PM

JOhn M>

Which is terrific if you have the time, space and skill required. I have none, but do have the money to procure this set. Or I would in the normal run of things were my finances not a bit squeezed at the moment.

Gir
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
GW only did a limited run of them. They are "going on sale" this weekend, but it looks like pre-orders snapped them all up. It's possible the individual components will be available in the semi-near future.

Not the wall of Martyrs. I've already ordered one of those. A bunch of people are saying they're too expensive and you can get more for much less. I want to know about those.

eldargal
11-16-2012, 12:26 AM
A friend of mine got his Wall of Martyrs today, the lucky barstud, it confirms the individual bits will be available seperately:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=157638&d=1353032201
Pic via Warseer.
Want mine to come.:(

Deadlift
11-16-2012, 01:50 AM
It makes sense really, it's a cool bit of kit and to keep it limited to just the 1st run of complete sets wouldn't make much sense. Plus those who did manage to get the ltd box can use these individual kits to expand the trench system further.

Mr Mystery
11-16-2012, 02:46 AM
Oh yes, it's a very nice!

Really should paint my realm of battle!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-16-2012, 03:17 AM
A friend of mine got his Wall of Martyrs today, the lucky barstud it confirms the individual bits will be available seperately:.
Want mine to come.:(

It's huge, I saw it yesterday! :eek:

It will come soon, don't worry. :)

Gotthammer
11-16-2012, 03:40 AM
It's huge, I saw it yesterday! :eek:

It will come soon, don't worry. :)

That's what she said!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-16-2012, 03:45 AM
No, no it isn't. That's what I said, you quoted it and everything. ;)

Gotthammer
11-16-2012, 03:47 AM
Well, obviously she didn't say it to you...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Sick burn.

/nub :(

Mytaru
11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Have you seen the wall sections are now individualy for sale.
on the German site buying them separate is about 50euro more than the bundle.
So for all who missed out now is your chance