- Melta Bombs
- Plasma Gun
- Plasma Cannon

Rhino

Stormtalon

Stormtalon

Wolfshade
11-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Could you shave some points and get the Rhinos as Razorbacks?

My concern for this list is two 5 man troops are your scoring units, that will need to leave their boxes to claim objectives

Tynskel
11-09-2012, 07:13 AM
since you cannot take 5 man tactical squads with weapons, I believe the notation written here is 5 extra marines. It would make sense, otherwise the Sternguard squad having more guns than there are members.

DWest
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
I would argue the usefulness of the Plasma Cannons, since you have to completely remain stationary to fire them (6ed, pg 33, pg 51; Blast Weapons and Snap Shots, Heavy Weapons). I know they don't cost much, but they're not really doing anything useful either, unless you plan to break down into Combat Squads, which I've found to be less than effective in the past.

My recommendation would be to swap the Plasma Cannons for Missile Launchers (so you can at least Snap Shot; also, since you have to Snap at Fliers anyway, move the squad out of danger and take a potshot while doing so) and then add 2 Heavy Flamers to the Sternguard. There really is nothing like dropping down next to Eldar Pathfinders and sending 'em home in one shot, or telling an Ork player to pull 15-ish models off the table before you even start rolling your Bolter wounds.

Wolfshade
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
since you cannot take 5 man tactical squads with weapons, I believe the notation written here is 5 extra marines. It would make sense, otherwise the Sternguard squad having more guns than there are members.

That would make more sense...

RGilbert26
11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Wolfshade i presume you've never read the Space Marine Codex before as the squads come with 5 men already and so as shown in the list im adding an additional 5 to get the special and heavy weapon. At the moment i plan on combat squading the Tactical Squads with the Plasma Cannon half staying put, ive seen it work before so im going to give it a try. If i find that it doesn't really work and having the squad move as 10 is no good then i can easily assemble and paint up two Missile Launchers.

EDIT: argh you've replied already :P

ElectricPaladin
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
I've had some experience using plasma/plasma tac squads. It's true that the plasma cannon doesn't always get to fire, which is a bummer. When it does, however, it's pretty devastating. The other advantage of a plasma cannon in a tac squad is that they can always combat squad and leave the plasma cannon sitting in the backfield, in a ruin somewhere.

That said, while I wouldn't recommend replacing both plasma cannons with a heavy weapon that can snap fire, you might want to consider replacing one of them with a missile launcher or a heavy bolter. My old list was two plas/plas tac squads, but I'm thinking of replacing one plas/plas squad with a plas/heavy bolter or plas/missile squad (or possibly a melta/bolter, melta/missile squad, or melta/melta, if I can get my hand on the bits).

Plasma guns, though, are made of bright, burning win.

Wolfshade
11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
I have read the codex and indeed own it. It is merely the way it was written that I found confounding. I will admit to liking heavy plasma guns over missiles and have had some great sucess combat squadding them and doing as you suggest bringing templatey death to on coming terminators. I think it would be important to know if this is going to be an all comers list or an against x list. I'm guessing it is the former. It seems focused on killing heavy infantry which might put it at a disadvantae against a horde list, but then at 1,500pts you cannot expect to have a perfect all comers list...

RGilbert26
11-09-2012, 09:44 AM
It's an all comers list which I might try and use at one of next year's throne of skulls tournaments. Plasmas' are for heavy troops, Sternguard are to keep the enemy pre-occupied while the vehicles get into position and the Stormtalons are to go against enemy infantry, fliers and light/medium vehicles. Obviously if I'm up against armour 14 then I'm gonna have a few difficulties although a well placed drop pod should allow me to use the two Combi-meltas.

Tynskel
11-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I have read the codex and indeed own it. It is merely the way it was written that I found confounding. I will admit to liking heavy plasma guns over missiles and have had some great sucess combat squadding them and doing as you suggest bringing templatey death to on coming terminators. I think it would be important to know if this is going to be an all comers list or an against x list. I'm guessing it is the former. It seems focused on killing heavy infantry which might put it at a disadvantae against a horde list, but then at 1,500pts you cannot expect to have a perfect all comers list...

Usually, when I write lists, I explicitly state the total numbers in a squad. Makes it clear.
ex.

225 Tactical Squad Omega
10 Marines, Sgt. Omega w/Plasma Pistol and Powerfist, Spc. Riker w/Plasma Rifle, Hv Spc. Thorton w/Plasma Cannon.

Shorthand:
225 Tac Squad
10 Marines, Sgt. w/PP and PF, PR, PC

RGilbert26
11-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't write the full squad number because A i know that they start with 5 and B as you can see im buying 5, you're just not allowed to list points (i couldnt be bothered to list total points, which you are allowed to post).