PDA

View Full Version : Oi! American foreign types!!

Mr Mystery
11-06-2012, 02:51 PM
This Mardi Gras thing you have in New Orleans... Is it actually as much fun as it looks?

Seriously considering going in 2014...

Chronowraith
11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
This Mardi Gras thing you have in New Orleans... Is it actually as much fun as it looks?

Seriously considering going in 2014...

Depends on what you consider fun. If thousands of people roaming an incredibly dirty city while dead drunk sounds like fun to you... then yes... it's awesome.

I've been 4 times, largely due to the misfortune of having relatives in New Orleans. The first time was curiosity. The second time was a family function. The third time was to keep a fledgling cousin out of trouble. Then I had a business trip that coincided with the festival of stupidity known as Mardi Gras.

Mr Mystery
11-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Yep sounds like fun to me!

Psychosplodge
11-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Sounds like every student weekend out...

Wolfshade
11-06-2012, 04:12 PM
It is the quivalent to Shrove Tuesday, using allo the fatty stuffs ready for fasting throughout Lent, which I am sure we all observe.

Psychosplodge
11-06-2012, 04:18 PM
No but I'll happily partake in the pancake eating...

Drunkencorgimaster
11-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Alcohol and urine. Lots of both.

lobster-overlord
11-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Hurricane Katrina treated the city better than Mardi Gras revelers do.

Gotthammer
11-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Come down for the Sydney Mardi Gras - much more fun :D

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 02:25 AM
It is the quivalent to Shrove Tuesday, using allo the fatty stuffs ready for fasting throughout Lent, which I am sure we all observe.

I thought you were going down this route.

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 02:48 AM
I thought you were going down this route.

:D

I prefer something like http://flipside.theiet.org/weird/38/cheese-rolling.jpg

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 02:57 AM
You strange western types, chasing your cheeses down hills. Given me a town-spanning game of pass the ball any day.

Also, how do you make the pictures appear in your post? I can't figure out how to do it since the forum layout changed.

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 03:00 AM
link

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 03:08 AM
You strange western types, chasing your cheeses down hills. Given me a town-spanning game of pass the ball any day.
Those games are just dangerous..

Also, how do you make the pictures appear in your post? I can't figure out how to do it since the forum layout changed.

Click the link button and make sure you uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Those games are just dangerous..

I thought the cheese rolling was banned on H&S grounds because too many people got injured?

Click the link button and make sure you uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" button

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3kcRQm4MaH8/T-Q5IZ1YGYI/AAAAAAAABnM/XAoGZygM_Ko/s1600/wildebeest+fun.jpg

Ah ha! It works! Thanks. Stupid tick box.

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 04:10 AM
I think that that was one of those HS myths.
All that they would have to do is minimise the risks to a tolerable level and get people to sign disclaimers :)

http://calendarcustoms.com/articles/coopers-hill-cheese-rolling/

Monday 27th May :D

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Bah, it'll be nice and warm then, you soft brummie types. Go spend a day stood in a river in March, that'll make a man out of you.

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 04:37 AM
B!tch please I went camping at Whitby on the coldest day of the year five years ago, in February, apparently that's not romantic and tents and snow don't mix...

alshrive
11-07-2012, 04:41 AM
if we are moving into ridiculous sports i would like to put forward Dwile Flonking! much better than chasing dairy produce! here are some rules for you;
The pastime of dwile flonking (also dwyle flunking) involves two teams, each taking a turn to dance around the other while attempting to avoid a beer-soaked dwile (cloth) thrown by the non-dancing team.
The non-flonking team joins hands and dances in a circle around a member of the flonking team, a practice known as 'girting'. The flonker dips his dwile-tipped 'driveller' (a pole 2–3 ft long and made from hazel or yew) into a bucket of beer, then spins around in the opposite direction to the girters and flonks his dwile at them.

If the dwile misses completely it is known as a 'swadger' or a 'swage'. When this happens the flonker must drink the contents of an ale-filled 'gazunder' (chamber pot ('goes-under' the bed)) before the wet dwile has passed from hand to hand along the line of now non-girting girters chanting the ceremonial mantra of "pot pot pot".

A full game comprises four 'snurds', each snurd being one team taking a turn at girting. The jobanowl adds interest and difficulty to the game by randomly switching the direction of rotation, and will levy drinking penalties on any player found not taking the game seriously enough!

i am debating to see if we can get a game going in Bugmans!

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Murderball. 'nuff said.

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 04:45 AM
if we are moving into ridiculous sports i would like to put forward Dwile Flonking! much better than chasing dairy produce! here are some rules for you;
The pastime of dwile flonking (also dwyle flunking) involves two teams, each taking a turn to dance around the other while attempting to avoid a beer-soaked dwile (cloth) thrown by the non-dancing team.
The non-flonking team joins hands and dances in a circle around a member of the flonking team, a practice known as 'girting'. The flonker dips his dwile-tipped 'driveller' (a pole 2–3 ft long and made from hazel or yew) into a bucket of beer, then spins around in the opposite direction to the girters and flonks his dwile at them.

If the dwile misses completely it is known as a 'swadger' or a 'swage'. When this happens the flonker must drink the contents of an ale-filled 'gazunder' (chamber pot ('goes-under' the bed)) before the wet dwile has passed from hand to hand along the line of now non-girting girters chanting the ceremonial mantra of "pot pot pot".

A full game comprises four 'snurds', each snurd being one team taking a turn at girting. The jobanowl adds interest and difficulty to the game by randomly switching the direction of rotation, and will levy drinking penalties on any player found not taking the game seriously enough!

i am debating to see if we can get a game going in Bugmans!

You just made that up didn't you? Ye Olde Games have nice, simple and preferably violent rules.

alshrive
11-07-2012, 04:47 AM
wikipedia it! real sport! proper man sport that! its got beer and great words like Gazunder, Snurd and Flonk (which i think would be great names for a trio of mischievous gretchin)

edit: will now be writing a story detailing the adventures of the Gretchin Gazunder, Snurd and Flonk! please give me idea's for a plot!

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Bah, it'll be nice and warm then, you soft brummie types. Go spend a day stood in a river in March, that'll make a man out of you.

Sir, I am not a Brummie!

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Hah! Wikipedia says it was made up in the 60's. Knew it, far too complicated, too many silly names, not enough violence. And it wastes beer. Ye Olde games are nice and simple like 'chase the cheese down the hill' or 'move the pig bladder to one end of town by any means possible' or 'kick the bladder between the sticks/kick your opponent between the sticks'.

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Sir, I am not a Brummie!

You should probably change that Location then. You don't want to run the risk of being mistaken for being a brummie when you aren't one. I wouldn't wish that on any one.

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Don't forget shin kicking :)

Or coffin racing

Deadlift
11-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Come down for the Sydney Mardi Gras - much more fun :D

Is that an invitation, I should add I snore quite loudly :)

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 05:39 AM
I should add I snore quite loudly :)

But have you ever woke up next to feet because you flail in your sleep?

Wildeybeast
11-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Your own or somebody else's? I wondering exactly how much you flail.

Deadlift
11-07-2012, 05:46 AM
But have you ever woke up next to feet because you flail in your sleep?

Can't say I have. :D I am more of your sleep like a log type.

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 05:49 AM

Now that would be an achievement, but after sleeping through giving the better half a nosebleed it's quite surprising to wake up next to feet...

Wolfshade
11-07-2012, 05:49 AM

I was thinking exactly that.
To restrict flailings you can tie people down. You don't even need a bed frame anymore some of the straps just go around the matress...

Psychosplodge
11-07-2012, 05:51 AM
I was thinking exactly that.
To restrict flailings you can tie people down. You don't even need a bed frame anymore some of the straps just go around the matress...

lol

Can't say I have. :D I am more of your sleep like a log type.

I once slept through a riot...