PDA

View Full Version : Chainswords

uglytater
11-06-2012, 12:22 PM
I looked through the forum and didn't see a mention on this so I apologize if this is a repeat, but... What is the point of a chainsword besides looking cool? I was looking in the DA Dex and at my DV Models, and I'm wondering why my Ravenwing Sargent has a chainsword instead of a Bolt Pistol. Wouldn't he be theoretically better off with a Bolt Pistol as it provides all of the benefits of a chainsword (it's a close combat weapon) and it does enable me to fire a pistol instead of a rapid fire weapon if I so choose? I just don't see a benefit of having a chainsword over a bolt pistol besides the fact that it's fun to paint chainswords.

Tynskel
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
There's no reason to fire the bolt pistol, or shotgun (in the case of scout bikers), because bikes have Relentless.

It is there for visual effect.

Kyban
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Chainswords are just cooler CCWs, a pistol is better rules-wise but its best if you have both! :D

uglytater
11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
OK, how about for my Sargent in the Tact squad who has replaced his Bolt Pistol with a Plasma Pistol. Wouldn't he rather have the Bolter in case he chooses not to risk the Gets Hot? Or would he somehow benefit from having a chainsword and a bolt pistol in close combat? Also, are 'Bolters' and Boltguns the same weapon? The DA dex refers to Bolters a lot, but there isn't a Bolter in the weapon profile.

Kyban
11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
With a chainsword and bolt pistol he gets a bonus attack for having 2 CCWs.
Bolters and Boltguns are the same weapon.

uglytater
11-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info! In the end I guess the important thing is looking awesome, right?

Wolfshade
11-06-2012, 04:21 PM
It is also a fall back to the military (British at least) that officers have swords to show rank, it makes them stand out and you can have them possing pointing the sword at the squad's focus of attack