PDA

View Full Version : Necron court = hammer of god?

Necron2.0
11-06-2012, 05:31 AM
The other day I played against an experienced Blood Angels player. The outcome was close, but I won in the end. What struck me is something like 75% of my kills came from my Court. The rest of my force basically became blocking elements to prevent him from sweeping the Court in an assault.

The Court was composed of a vanilla Overlord with 5 Lords and 5 Crypteks. One of the Crypteks was a Harbinger of Despair with a Veil of Darkness. The game started with me annihilating his scouts with my scarabs (I couldn't allow his snipers any opportunity to target my HQ). With his scouts engaged, I deep struck the Court against a unit of 10 Assault Marines and reduced them to just two figures - the Sergeant and a Sanguinary High Priest. The following game turn I deep struck again against his other Assault Marine unit and did similar damage, although I had to assault with my scarabs to prevent the survivors from locking my court in hand to hand. In the final stages of the game I deep struck against a full strength group of tactical marines (I only had 5 members of the court remaining at that point), and then assaulted with a group of Warriors to prevent the Court from being charged. In the end, I charged the remnant of the Court against his marines (which prevented the Warriors from being swept as they fell back) and managed (barely) to fell his HQ in the final game turn.

Now, I'll admit I got lucky with my deep strike roles, in that I never drifted so far away that I couldn't shoot. I did lose two Crypteks to mishaps though. Even so, I was surprised at how devastating the force was. I knew it would be a killer, but it exceeded my expectations. I will add, however, that this force wouldn't be able to do much against Terminators or heavily armored vehicles.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Houghten
11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
It won't do much to Terminators, but a unit's worth of voltaic staffs is nightmarish for any vehicle or even a squadron of them.

As for Terminators, you have other ways to kill them. Walloping them with warscythes, voidblades or phase-shifted claws is doable, but not recommended due to their own power weapons taking a heavy toll back. Heavy gauss cannons are a bit too expensive for my tastes. There is, however, always the good old "torrent of gauss fire" option, blasting them with those big units of Warriors you've got blocking - let the Court do what it's good at and let something else worry about the Terminators. Preferably something else that's getting twin-linked weapons off a Triarch Stalker.

DarkLink
11-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't like playing Necrons, because they're annoying as ****. I just kill your stupid lords over and over again, and you always make your stupid Reanimation roll, and then I kill them a few more times.

Mr Mystery
11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't like playing Necrons, because they're annoying as ****. I just kill your stupid lords over and over again, and you always make your stupid Reanimation roll, and then I kill them a few more times.

You should play mine. I swear Microsoft wrote my reanimation protocols!

Occam
11-12-2012, 01:46 AM

Trooper 1: The Overlord is dead!

Trooper 2: Well, he's not quite dead yet...I think he's gonna make it

DarkLink
11-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Edit:

I deleted this post, because doing obvious Monty Python and the Holy Grail quotes deserves to be punished.