PDA

View Full Version : Thinning GW paint for airbrushing.

Blackcloud6
11-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Have any of you thinned GW paint for airbrushing? If so, what did you use for a thinning medium?

Emerald Rose Widow
11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Have any of you thinned GW paint for airbrushing? If so, what did you use for a thinning medium?

I often use distilled water myself, and make the paint the consistency of milk roughly. Many suggest using a little windex mixed into the water mixture, not much, and it breaks up the surface tension. I have no experience with this but will test it soon so I do not know the proper mix, but I am curious myself.

wittdooley
11-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Windex works well. Like Emerald said, just mix until its the consistency of milk. Voila.

vharing
11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I found a page somewhere on another forum where someone said to use windex, rubbing alcohol and distilled water. I mix up a big enough batch to fill 3 travel sized shampoo bottles at a time and use it to thinned my paints and clean my airbrush as well. And like everyone else said, thin to the consistency of milk.

Eberk
11-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Consistency of Milk...

does that works for both 'Base' and 'Layer' paints ??

Deadlift
11-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Personally I use airbrush medium by "liquitex" I make up a batch which is 9 parts distiller water and 1 part medium. Then I found 50/50 thinner and paint does the job. If your going to mix the paint with the thinner in the brush always add the thinner 1st :)

http://www.liquitex.com/airbrushmedium/

FireHazard
11-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Oddly enough, I watched this last night. It's an Introduction to Airbrushing with Ken Schlotfeldt (who owns Badger Air-Brush Co). It's an hour and a half long but it's informative in setting up for airbrushing, including paint thinning. Worthwhile watch if you're going to be airbrushing regularly. Sadly, no airbrushing techniques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw&feature=plcp

Blackcloud6
11-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks much to all. I have done a lot of airbrushing with many acrylic model paints. Many have their own particular thinners and some take particular thinning to work. I have never air brushed GW paints but would like to try. They are very thick to start with so will need a bit more thinner than say Tamiya paints. I will try the above suggestions next time I go to paint.

Houghten
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Has anyone tried thinning GW paints with Lahmian Medium? Or am I just being silly?

olberon
11-06-2012, 02:48 AM
I have used windex in the past and it did the job well, see it as a cheap-ish solution.

Now i use flow enhancer with distilled water in a 50/50 mix and it works great! thin the paint down like milk and off you go.
I found out with GW paints its all about mixing until you are happy with it (old foundations i even thin down to a 20/80 mixture)

Thinning down gw paints is not an exact science, it involves alot of trial and error

FxM
11-06-2012, 05:07 AM
I have not tried Airbrushing with the new range of GW paints yet, but previously i have always used Tamiya's X-20A Thinner, Always found this works really well with the old range. Both the Old Range and Tamiya's XF range mix well too, so some great combinations of colours can be achieved. Only thing is make sure you are wearing a mask and in a good ventilated area (which ya should be if your airbrushing anyway! lol)

Alway found water the worst thing to thin down with when A'b'ing as paint will just clog on the end of your needle, as the paint does not atomise well enough.

Phill,