PDA

View Full Version : Bit cloneing

bootstrapbill
11-03-2012, 04:21 PM
I am working on a Warp Talon squad using the winged Possessed Winged Backpack. It has proven that it going to be way expensive to buy the wings off eBay. I have the idea to use green stuff to create a mold an clone the bitz I need for this project. Is there an easy way to use green stuff as a mold? or is this a foolish idea?

11-03-2012, 04:36 PM
i think if you asked on the warhammer reddit they could answer you a alot faster... I remember people were posting about making molds before

bootstrapbill
11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I just added it to reddit as per your advice

Denzark
11-03-2012, 05:16 PM
There was an article on BoLS front page a while back about a molding material you could do casts with. Can't remember the name but it was clear and was made to look realtively easy to use.

MaltonNecromancer
11-03-2012, 05:24 PM
There was an article on BoLS front page a while back about a molding material you could do casts with.

It's called Instant Mold. You put it in hot water for thirty seconds, and press the part you want to clone into the mold. Leave it to harden (takes about 10 mins), then use GS to make copies.

http://giftsforgeeks.org.uk/shop/-/product/908255031/instant-mold/

It's reusable, and produces some pretty good quality copies of bits. It's also a hell of a lot better than GS for making molds from!

Do be careful though - copying GW bits rather than your own is obvious copyright infrigement.

bootstrapbill
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't think that would be an issue unless I where to sell them to compete with GW I would rather buy them from GW if the Price was right

Denzark
11-03-2012, 05:46 PM
It's called Instant Mold. You put it in hot water for thirty seconds, and press the part you want to clone into the mold. Leave it to harden (takes about 10 mins), then use GS to make copies.

http://giftsforgeeks.org.uk/shop/-/product/908255031/instant-mold/

It's reusable, and produces some pretty good quality copies of bits. It's also a hell of a lot better than GS for making molds from!

Do be careful though - copying GW bits rather than your own is obvious copyright infrigement.

That's the kiddy!

isotope99
11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Curved wings arew going to be tough, investing in a box of gargoyles and adding the wings to backpacks might be easier.

ElectricPaladin
11-03-2012, 06:29 PM
I think the metal wings for Privateer Press's "stingers" - an Everblight beast - are the coolest wings I've ever seen. They're small enough to fit on the back of a heroic scale model, and PP does bits orders on their website...

fuzzbuket
11-04-2012, 08:43 AM
theres a thing called blu-stuff or something like that from CMON that sounds perfect.

also reddit is fairly meh. i like reddits layout but /r/warhammer seems to:
-value cool minis (even if they arnt painted ) over painted ones.
-prefers quantity to quality
-if its not imgur : DOWNBOAT
-care more about photo quality than the actual minis.

fuzzbuket
11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
theres a thing called blu-stuff or something like that from CMON that sounds perfect.

also reddit is fairly meh. i like reddits layout but /r/warhammer seems to:
-value cool minis (even if they arnt painted ) over painted ones.
-prefers quantity to quality
-if its not imgur : DOWNBOAT
-care more about photo quality than the actual minis.