PDA

View Full Version : Necron Colours

Emerald Rose Widow
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
I am contemplating hwo I wish to paint my necrons, as they are my next slated project, and am really having a difficult time. I want to do the orbs that glow blue and use object source lighting, but from there I do not know. I don't know how I want to base them (other than dead greyknights on their bases) and I am having a really hard time deciding.

I thought for a bit that the turquoise is a really pretty colour on necrons, but everyone and their mother is using that colour combination, and I don't wanna copy everyone. I am also thinking that I should use brighter colours due to the dark colour nature of my tyranids. I want a breath of fresh air here, just something different from the normal gunmetal crons, something pretty, with blue orbs.

I am open to suggestions, because at this point any help would be much appreciated.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-02-2012, 01:29 AM
I used Bone as the main colour with Purple to denote special people. IE Immortals.
My energy colour was a bluey green. I really liked the colours, they were lovely to paint.

Emerald Rose Widow
11-02-2012, 01:36 AM
I used Bone as the main colour with Purple to denote special people. IE Immortals.
My energy colour was a bluey green. I really liked the colours, they were lovely to paint.

I was kind of thinking that, kind of like the bone from the deathwing terminators of the DA, but idk. It fits my brighter idea, but where would I go from there, what accents, how would I base it. I am getting really indecisive

Deadlift
11-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi there ERW :)

I have been experimenting with Necrons myself the last few days, Funnily enough in a bone scheme too. I am personally unsure of what I have done and I think I will be going to the usually metallic scheme but with helms and shoulders etc in bone instead. I like the scarabs though so they will just have their legs painted in metallics.
Anyway I thought I would share these with you.

The 1st one is one partial painted trial and I just did the arms and head
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/IMG_0001-11.jpg

the 2nd is airbrushed but needs more contrast between the 3 colours
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/IMG_0007-1.jpg

the 3rd is the scarabs.
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/IMG_0008.jpg

Hope you get some ideas from these. Unfortunately they aren't for me

Jenn
11-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Go Pure white with dark blue shoulder pads and blue rods/ orbs. ;)

magickbk
11-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Maybe an extremely pale blue, like 50/50 White and that new blue edge paint, or mix a little bit of blue wash in with whichever white you have. It won't be white, but it will still be an extreme contrast for your glowing blue orbs, and will still be bright.

The bone/white Cron thing seems really common right now.

Emerald Rose Widow
11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Go Pure white with dark blue shoulder pads and blue rods/ orbs. ;)

haha, your so funny. You dont want me copying yours anyway, might show you up -giggles-

Maybe an extremely pale blue, like 50/50 White and that new blue edge paint, or mix a little bit of blue wash in with whichever white you have. It won't be white, but it will still be an extreme contrast for your glowing blue orbs, and will still be bright.

The bone/white Cron thing seems really common right now.

yeah, in my area its all turquoise and gunmetal, and while that is super pretty I just dont wanna copy the norm, I want somemthing unique. And no bloody reds, because I did enough reds to kill a horse with my nids.

As for the super light blue, that sounds a lot like that space wolves grey, and while gorgeous, I think that would oversaturate the blue on my orbs and such, I need some more contrast than that.

magickbk
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
As for the super light blue, that sounds a lot like that space wolves grey, and while gorgeous, I think that would oversaturate the blue on my orbs and such, I need some more contrast than that.

Gold?

ElectricPaladin
11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
If I were going to do a Necron army, I'd paint everything bone, but with patches of dark metal showing through due to wear and tear. I'd use red as my glow color, and gold as my accent.

isotope99
11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
You could have a deep emerald green at the edges of the plates, moving through turquoise at mid distance to blue close the the power source, with a very dark bronze metal (heavy on the black wash) for the underlying structure. Keeps you turquoise ambition whilst being different.

For the base you could use a lighter brown (Steel leguion drab/baneblade brown/karak stone) or a light grey to contrast.

Jenn
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Keep in mind, the two turquoise Cron armies at the harvester were both from out of towners, and Kristons will never again pick up his paint brush to work on his again. So really the amount of turquoise in the area isn't really gonna be super high. If that's what you wanna do.

Also, the whole point of you using my scheme is to do it better then I can... And then I can borrow your models for tournaments. =D

Emerald Rose Widow
11-03-2012, 12:36 AM
You could have a deep emerald green at the edges of the plates, moving through turquoise at mid distance to blue close the the power source, with a very dark bronze metal (heavy on the black wash) for the underlying structure. Keeps you turquoise ambition whilst being different.

For the base you could use a lighter brown (Steel leguion drab/baneblade brown/karak stone) or a light grey to contrast.

This idea is really nice, and could really produce some pretty colours, but I am not sure. I have a night scythe for now, maybe I can pick up some lychguard and test out some schemes on them and see what I like. This one is cool though, lets me use my favorite colour (emerald green obviously, lol) and tie it together really nicely with the blues. An airbrush can even make this gradient really easy if I do it right.

Keep in mind, the two turquoise Cron armies at the harvester were both from out of towners, and Kristons will never again pick up his paint brush to work on his again. So really the amount of turquoise in the area isn't really gonna be super high. If that's what you wanna do.

Also, the whole point of you using my scheme is to do it better then I can... And then I can borrow your models for tournaments. =D

OH HELL NO -giggles- jk, but seriously, I dont wanna do your scheme, its awesome, but just not me. Idk, I am jsut being hella indecisive, if I did the idea of emerald green to turquoise to blue it would tie together my blues to greens really well, while still letting me put in my favorite colour.

As for metallics I plan to vary it a little bit, based on how "elite" the troop is. Bronze on the mroe elite troops, gunmetal on the basic dudes, and gold for my pharon (whom I plan to model with the overlord from the catacomb command barge, and make it more feminine by re-sculpting the chest compleatly, and making a head from scratch, and some other tweaks here and there.)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-03-2012, 02:25 AM
View my thread for my colours. (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?23694-The-Bone-Legion-Rises-Project-Kharnac/page2)

Emerald Rose Widow
11-04-2012, 06:53 PM
View my thread for my colours. (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?23694-The-Bone-Legion-Rises-Project-Kharnac/page2)

not too shabby actually, I like it a lot. I think I will go with the green to turqoise to blue, and then go with my gradiated metallics too

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
11-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Tasty!