PDA

View Full Version : Storm Trooper Companies

Nabterayl
11-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Do we know anything about the TO&E of a storm trooper company? I haven't really been able to find anything in my sources, aside from the squad equipment we know about through the codex. I know that old fluff used to state that the storm trooper regiment was only 10,000 men strong, and we know that storm trooper companies are numbered at least up to 2,378 (because the 2,378th storm trooper company participated in the Taros campaign, per IA3). But even if we accept the 10,000 number (and I'm generally a big proponent of "The Imperial Guard is smaller than you think," but even I can't swallow a regiment that small), we don't know if storm trooper company numbers are recycled or added - in other words, we don't know if the existence of the 2,378th means there are at least 2,378 storm trooper companies, or if it means there have been at least 2,378 storm trooper companies. So I don't see any basis in those facts for guesstimating size.

Anybody aware of any facts that I'm not?

plasticaddict
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Using the British army organization as a guide line it should look something like this.

5-10 Troops would form a Squad.

2-5 Squads would form a Platoon.

4 Platoons would form a Company.

3 Companies with a Support Company and Headquarters Company would form a Battalion.

2-6 Battalions would form a Regiment.

So that would give you a total size of 2000-6000.

Using the same organization for a regular Infantry unit whose Platoons range from 25-132 troopers gives you a maximum size of 3000-15840.

I believe the full strength numbers would be correct (by percentage at least) for a highly trained, well equipped elite unit compared to a minimally trained unit with basic equipment.

ash23
11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I remember reading that understrength guard companied are often amalgamated into fighting units that take their strength back up to useable levels. So that the 23rd and 57th might become the 2357th company, think this is mentioned in some of the gaunts ghosts novels as well as maybe the older guard codex's. Not sure if i'm allowed to link to another sight but the 40k wikia has information regarding the stormtroopers stating they are a single regiment constantly kept at full strength at 10,000 men. Hope any of that was of help.