PDA

View Full Version : Drilling out Bolters and Other Weapons. What size drill bits?

YourSwordisMine
10-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Title says it all. I need to drill out my barrels and that means I need to buy some new drill bits to do it with... I own a pin vice and a pistolgrip Dremel, so I've got the tools to do it with.

So what size to get?

FOR:

Bolters
Bolt Pistol
Stormbolters
Plasma Pistols
Plasmaguns
Meltaguns

Psychosplodge
10-31-2012, 07:02 AM
I only do the bolter variants, and use a 1.5mm drill.

magickbk
10-31-2012, 07:53 AM
As Psycho said, 1.5 sounds about right for all non-Heavy bolter sizes. There are many schools of thought on the plasma and melta. Since bits are frequently purchased in variety packs, I usually use the largest bit that will fit the "nozzle" area of a plasma or melta, and drill a divet or crater as opposed to a deep hole. I'd practice on some spare bitz, if you have them, and see what you like best.

Deadlift
10-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I too use a 1.5mm for the barrel, but use a 1mm for the exhaust holes on the side of the barrels.

fuzzbuket
10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
gw size drill. really :/

magickbk
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
gw size drill. really :/

Yeah, but some people have the old GW drill, which came with 4 different size bits, instead of 6 or 7 of the same size.

Cpt Codpiece
10-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah, but some people have the old GW drill, which came with 4 different size bits, instead of 6 or 7 of the same size.

then grab some spare bolters/pistols and drill some holes with the bits. the one that works best is the one you use :)

i just dry fit my bolter holes to my bit and then drill, if the bit fits the muzzel holes you are golden.

YourSwordisMine
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
thanks for the input everyone. I've gotten some bits and drilled a few. Need to GS a couple and drill again as the holes are all wonky... oh well...

FxM
11-06-2012, 05:17 AM
Best advice i can give on this one is pop into a local hobby/model store, i picked up a mini drill set for about £4 from my local one and got the following 8 piece "Twist Drill Set" which fits both my ancient GW pin Vice and a more recent addition a picked up from a Model Zone Store:

0.5 / 0.6 / 0.7 / 0.8 / 0.9 / 1.0 / 1.5 & a 2mm

These work a treat for anything from drilling out barrels to pre pinning and boring for placing of magnets,

Phill,