PDA

View Full Version : Hand Weapons, Shields, Halberds oh my!

Goresmack
10-09-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm playing WoC and am curious what weapons people are having the most success with?

Generally, I take two units of Khorne Warriors in a 6x4, two hand weapons with 2 units of Nurgle Warriors with shields in a 5x2 as blockers, and 2 or more units in 5x2 with halberds as flankers. I've had a fair amount of success with this as I can spread out across the table and not worry to much if I lose a unit. Add in some warwolves and a some horsemen for fast counter charges and it seems pretty solid.

So, what's everybody else use in there WoC armies (if there are any other WoC players on here)?

-Goresmack

battling_beast
04-05-2011, 11:42 PM
well lately i been useing warriors 20 man squad with mark tnzeech or the mark nurgle either good with halberds and give them rage banner and 2 30 man maruaders with mok and fails and have chariot on the side for like flanking or counter charge

celestialatc
05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I've been using hand weapon and shield with MoT. That 5 up ward save can really save your bacon with you need it.

Khrone Mauraders with Frails or Great Weapons are ridiculous. I run about 50 with no armor and it's last then 300 points! The unit is so large that most of my opponents have to deal with it. They concentrate all their fire at it and it give me time to get my warriors and knights up (I don't care what anyone says, Chaos Knights are still awesome).

quinn
05-02-2011, 03:50 PM
It depends on what size game I'm playing but I usually use these three units at 2250 and up:

18 MoT (3x6) w HW/Sh, FC and Blasted Std

18 MoK (3x6) w Hal/Sh, FC and Flaming Std

18 MoK (3x6) w AHW, FC and Razor Std

These three units seem to be in most of my lists, they all have different strengths and weaknesses but as long as they get the right task they do well. The Tzeentch warriors are tough to kill, but don't have the killing power of the other 2. The Khorne Hal/Sh guys are for anything with a Toughness of 4 or higher and obviously work well against things that Regenerate or are Flammable. The Khorne AHW guys have a lot of attacks and really carve their way through T3 troops.

I also have a unit of 50 Khorne Marauders with GWs that I use sometimes. They are a magnet for most of my opponents, because of this they rarely have much of a direct impact...but they do there job by occupying my enemy!

I'm not a big Nurgle fan in competitive games. I don't fear ranged fire much (so the -1 to hit isn't really important) and I think that WS5 is usually enough to give me the advantage in CC without the -1 to WS attribute. For those two reasons I tend to use Khorne or Tzeentch as my marks.

As far as size of units, I think that 18 is the 'magic' number for impact vs points. Although, I'm painting up extra figures for each of these units right now so that I can expand the units if I choose. A lot of WoC players swear by 7 man ranks for the extra attacks, but I have not played that way yet myself.