PDA

View Full Version : What New necron stuff should I buy? Haven't been playing in 1.5 years--was in China.

Occam
10-29-2012, 01:50 AM
My budget is about $150 and I'm wondering what the new 'it' items were. I only got the old-school stuff. I own:
2 tomb spyders
about 20 Immortals
4 monoliths [one is on box]
3 necron lords, one is a destroyer
56 warriors
9-10 destroyers
8 or 9 scarabs
1 nighrbringer.

Should I buy the battleforce and make more immortals, deathmarks and keep the ghost ark? Should I just buy a few night/deathscythes:confused::confused:
And where can I buy crypteks that aren't single boosters? What IC's should I get, if any?

I'm making a few pylons. I figure maybe selling one on ebay would net me some cash to buy more stuff.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-29-2012, 01:53 AM
I've found that Triarch Praetorians make good Crypteks.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2012, 02:01 AM
All of it. We have no duff units. And invest in Tesla!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Occam - It's a shame that you aren't from England, I have loads of Necrons to sell.

Mr Mystery
10-29-2012, 02:20 AM
Why would you sell them? They're awesome!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-29-2012, 02:24 AM
Bored, want Marines.

BatMarine
10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Marines are definitely more flavorful..........

Mr Mystery
10-29-2012, 08:00 AM
I suppose I should say something actually useful

Best trick about the new Necrons is that old armies work just as well as they ever did. I'd start off writing up your existing army, and giving it a whirl.

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-29-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm not so much on the gaming side, but I really love the new Wraith and Triach praetorian kits. The Scythes are great too, especially if like me you loved the old BFG spaceships, since they have the same crescent shape/style.

Deadlift
10-29-2012, 08:26 AM
All of it. We have no duff units. And invest in Tesla!

Would you have Tesla on the immortals with the changes to rapid fire in 6th now.
I am a bit unsure, but think gauss has the edge in 6th. On immortals anyway.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Tesla makes no one want to play me, result?

Houghten
10-29-2012, 12:37 PM
I've found that Triarch Praetorians make good Crypteks.

I prefer Warrior bodies with Praetorian arms. I'm a bit of a WYSIWYG freak and the Lychguard bodies just look too beefy for that 4+ save.

Occam
10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Heh...beefy.
So, if I'm hearing everyone right, buying all the things is grand, but the scythes, anything with tesla and triarch praetorians are the bees knees. What is so awesome about the triarch praetorians?

Mr Mystery
10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Would you have Tesla on the immortals with the changes to rapid fire in 6th now.
I am a bit unsure, but think gauss has the edge in 6th. On immortals anyway.

I tend to run 20 Warriors (get them on an objective, and they become hell to shift with a Res Orb in the unit and an Ark nearby) along with 10 Gauss Immortals and 20 Tesla Immortals. Tesla is simply the best new weapon in the game. Decent S, and a horrible potential firepower. Especially when snap firing from Overwatch! Being assault, I find I'm far more willing to pull them back in the face of the enemy, whereas with rapid fire I'm tempted to risk letting my opponent into half range.

Overall, keep it combined arms. Try not to put your eggs in one basket!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-31-2012, 12:21 AM
That's how I do it too Mystery. :)

White Tiger88
10-31-2012, 02:12 AM
Necrons really have no bad army list...there just point and shoot. So buy what you think is cool.

Occam
10-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Sweet. Sounds like they have all good options. In 5th, I saw triarch praetorians and lychguard as kind of odd. Can anyone go over more on why they are awesome? Oh, and have a happy necron halloween....like a gauss.

Kawauso
10-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Sweet. Sounds like they have all good options. In 5th, I saw triarch praetorians and lychguard as kind of odd. Can anyone go over more on why they are awesome? Oh, and have a happy necron halloween....like a gauss.

Lychguard are awesome because they are a solid assault unit comparable in many ways to assault Terminators.
The combination of T5, a 3+ save and Reanimation Protocols makes them similarly durable to Terminators in general. If you make sure there's a res. orb in the unit and/or give them shields they are nearly as durable as termies with storm shields - actually I believe in many cases the combination of an orb and a shield winds up with them being slightly more durable than SS termies (though my mental math could be off), at least under the majority of circumstances. And I guess once in a really blue moon their shield will do something fun - maybe bounce back an overwatch shot that's AP3 or better.
If you leave them with scythes instead of the shield they are somewhat less durable (though again, T5 and a 3+ and a 4/5+ RP roll is plenty tough) while being nearly as deadly as termies with hammers. They also have the added benefit of having an AP1 weapon that strikes before I1. And of course they will absolutely murder any vehicle they can touch.

Now I know there are people who will argue my comparisons, and that's fine - I'm not saying they are directly comparable to assault Terminators - they are, however, a pretty good Necron analog to that sort of unit and can fulfill a very similar roll in an army list.

Praetorians I have no experience with as of yet. The FAQ changes to their weapon are pretty great in light of 6th, however - they're basically power axes, instead of being stuck as power spears or generic power weapons or Emperor forbid...power staves. I would like to run a unit of them with a Destroyer Lord with a scythe/orb when I get the chance, however. I think that would make for a very tough and pretty hard-hitting assault unit with a lot of mobility and some respectable (if very close-range) shooting.
Hopefully someone with actual experience with these guys will chime in though...perhaps even (in)validating some of my thoughts on them.