PDA

View Full Version : IG Allies For Iron Warriors

Dflint
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Hello,

I am thinking of adding a detachment of IG allies to the current Iron Warriors chaos space marines army I am building but I'm not very familiar with the IG book. I have been thinking something along these lines:

Company Command Squad -80
- Master of Ordinance

Infantry Platoon -
- Platoon Command Squad - 45
3x Flamers
- 3x Infantry Squads – 180
1 Autocannon Team/Squad

Artillery Battery 250
2x Basilisks

I was thinking of using the infantry squads to sit back and capture home objectives, perhaps using the platoon command squad to give them some charge protection via flamer overwatch.

I'm mostly struggling with the Heavy Support, I don't have much experience with IG artillery so I can't decide between basilisks, medusas or perhaps leman russ demolishers?

Anyone have any advice?
Thanks, :)

Archon
10-28-2012, 06:37 AM
I´ve been playing my traitor-guard alongside my IW long before 6th. Now that we have the allie-rules i mix them up even more often.

Usualy i play a psyker HQ a simple platoon and the obvious basi! Ha there they have the basi again! I like it!

I like it like this, to keep things simply and stylish:

psyker
PCS with 2 GL
2 x 10 Troop with flamer
3 x mortars
1 basi

In Storm of Iron the IW use masses of human cannonfodder to test out the breaches. For that breaches the use heavy artillery.

You get: 25 body of scoring cannonfodder, light and heavy artillery and on top a pyker for different uses for 405 points.

You simple don´t need a CCS as allied HQ unless you plan to go with lots of heavy weapon teams and support them with orders. The master of ordance is very unaccurate and will die toghter with his squad very soon, because he has no vehicle to hide in.

The PCS is not able to form a shield - ists only 5 man and they will be gunned down, if they block the path. The have to act defensiv.

The Troops are importat because they shall be able to hold a objective - head down, if it must. Will your tougher IW will fight to capture objective in enemy hands.

Now to heavy support: If you want to go with efficency, take a manticore. 1-3 5" plates can do a lot of harm to vehicles and light infantery as well. The min. distance is much shorter than that of the basi. If you like it stylewise and have to kill lots of 3+ get a basi (or to or three). If you want a direct shooting hard hitter, that is able to kill almost anything - here is the medusa sige gun. A demolisher cannon with 36".

If you like to have a HS that will last longer, get a leman, but hey you´re playing IW so you need artillery:cool:

Popsical
10-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Try the IA Tyrants legion list for the best Iron warriors list available IMO.
You get proper cannon fodder that gives you a better cover save if put in front of your marines, while they get fragged for their pains.
The stats for the guard are also different to represent the lack of willingness in the cannon fodder.
The FW guys even say it suits this purpose in the lists write up.

Kirsten
10-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I would go for basilisks myself, and plan to get a few for that reason. ordinary leman russes would do the job too, but mainly I would say long range firepower is the way to go. Platoons are good for the cannon fodder roles, but you could always take cultists for that and go with penal legion squads. I would be tempted to go with veteran squads with demolitions, I think that would be quite fluffy.