PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids Tentative Try

theirkin
10-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes, alliterations just come to me that easy...

Anyway, without the codex in front of me, I'm starting to put together a buy list for Tyranids. I have a Swarm Lord that has been staring at me for months (since the model came out and I impulse bought it, I'm a recovering new-shiny-addict). Anyway, I have this guy, and want to do a list centered around stealers. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Swarm Lord
3 Tyrant Guard
4 boxes of Stealers
4 Swarm Lords

Either:

4 Dakka Fex's
2 Venomthropes

or:

2 Tyrranofex's
and ?

My concern is dealing with flyers, as I think the Stealers are gravy for dealing with armor. How have 'nid players dealt with flyers? Seems that Dakka Fex's and Harpies/Flyrants are the way to go, or Gaunts, but I hate Gaunts so very much. What do you guys think?

I'm hoping to get a decent 2k list out of this. Any and all comments are much appreciated

-Joe

Anggul
10-27-2012, 03:52 AM
I'm sad to say that Genestealers got hit with the nerf bat this edition as you can no longer Outflank then assault. Your best bet is to probably to Infiltrate them, take the second turn if possible, then run out and assault whatever you can. The Swarmlord isn't really helping you if you do this though. He and his guard are going to be a slow-moving ball of death who will probably kill whatever they touch (and with Iron Arm and Endurance or Invisibility will be very hard to bring down), but they will be way behind the Genestealers, so won't actually contribute to your army much. For most of the game, meaning all of those points you've spent on him and his guard are a very, very big chunk of points taken out of your army which aren't actually doing much for most of the game. The Swarmlord is better suited to armies which have a large element moving as his pace being buffed by him and using him as a big, nasty threat to anything which might dare to have a go. I imagine a Flyrant would be better suited to a Genestealer list, as it can easily keep up with them and support very nicely, not to mention giving you the anti-flyer capability that you were concerned about.

Out of the two options you've given, the Dakkafex/Venomthrope option is much better. It's a shame that the once mighty and feared Carnifex has been reduced to (albeit very nice) fire support, but they are good at it and it's really the only way to run them. Heck, it could be almost anything and be better than option two, because on another very sad point, Tyrannofexes are awful. Even if they were 50pts cheaper they still wouldn't really be worth it because they just can't put out much damage at all.

I've heard good talk of Broodlords with the new Psychic Disciplines, but I don't know from first-hand experience.

Tynskel
10-27-2012, 12:11 PM
I disagree with the swarm lord assessment. Deploy the swarm lord forward. 2 turns, tops.
Second, carnifexes still rock. They got big buffs in 6th: cover saves, all the time. They have a higher chance to kill tanks in cc than just about anything.

The biggest problem with the list is bodies on the ground, then flyers. A fly rant is a good start for anti flyer. 1 set of devourers, and roll for psychics, or to be save 2 sets of devourers.

theirkin
10-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've gone through a radical reassessment after sitting back down with the codex. A proper list follows, and please keep in mind, I'm attached to the Swarmlord/Bodyguard (love the models) and genestealers being my troops (I hate gaunts).

Swarmlord
3 Tyrant Guard
3 Plain Flyrants w/ Bonesword & Lash Whips, Paroxysm, Leech Essence
2 Individual Venomthropes
3 x 9 Genestealers and a Swarm Lord
8 Genestealers and a Swarm Lord

Tentative Plan: Infiltrare two units of 'stealers. Run a second wave of 'stealers with the Venomthropes behind providing cover, and the Swarmlord &co. Along for the ride. The Flyrants make a nuisance of themselves, attacking flyers and supporting 'stealer charges.

Also, this isn't a GT list by any means, and I prefer playing at a GW store. So 2 force orgs are in for sure.

Thanks for any criticisms,

-Joe

Anakzar
10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
On the Flyrants I would add the 15 point devourer with brainleach that's 6 Twin linked shots that are 6 str, good for both shooting down flyers(get in behind them if possible (remember FMC can shoot in a 360 fire arc so you can fly past and and shoot back into the rear armor) It can be used on troops before dropping into CC. The devourer is also good against tanks if you fly past and shoot back into rear armor.

Vector strike is nice in that it auto hits but I have found it of limited use for the tougher flyers with AV12 on sides.

Also think about finding another 15 points for lash whips on the Tyrant guard. Though not that important as most times those body guards are going to be dead to shooting before the swarm leader gets into CC range. But if they deliver him there then they have done their job.

Anggul
10-29-2012, 04:02 PM
I would drop a Tyrant guard, 3 generally seems a bit much. Also if you're Outflanking/Infiltrating the Genestealers then I don't think your Venomthropes are actually going to be doing enough to justify all those points spent on them. You could have more Genestealers instead.

As Anakzar said, definitely get Devourers on those Flyrants, even if it's just one set replacing the Scything Talons, so all of them with Lashwhip & Bonesword and TL-Devourers. I don't know if I would take 3 Flyrants, I don't personally use the double-FOC thing but even if I did I think 2 would be enough.

Overall I think you can drop a Tyrant Guard, the Venomthropes and possibly a Flyrant to get Devourers for the Flyrants and more troops.