PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel quandary

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Ive been putting off painting my Sentinels and today after some reflection I realized why.

I'm torn between Armored or Scout.

Armored are tough and I really like the idea of a Plasma Cannon, whilst Scouts are going to give that nasty flank unpleasantness.

I have three models and four options

1/ Go Armored
2/ Go Scout
3/ 1 Armored 2 Scout
4/ 2 Armored 1 Scout

Scouts will be Auto cannon's, Armored will be Plas, Auto, Las cannon.

Opinions?

therealjohnny5
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Ive been putting off painting my Sentinels and today after some reflection I realized why.

Armored are tough and I really like the idea of a Plasma Cannon, whilst Scouts are going to give that nasty flank unpleasantness.

1/ Go Armored
2/ Go Scout
3/ 1 Armored 2 Scout
4/ 2 Armored 1 Scout

Opinions?
Simply, buy more. :D

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Not an option.

TSINI
10-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I have 3 sentinels as it happens

i've gone for:

1 armoured plasma - it looks cool, and worth its 75points when in small games due to its total anti-marines ability (even termies) and the fact its armoured means its pretty damn hard to kill in assault by mere infantry
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dKzBWK8cqBI/Sp3AQ17Em8I/AAAAAAAAAYM/I4UQJrUvAw8/s400/blog4+020.jpg

1 Armoured Autocannon - its a staple weapon in my army, autocannons can wipe out transports and light vehicles at long range, they look cool (like 50 cals) and again, armoured sentinel brings it in at 60points

1 Scout Missile Launcher - just because I liked the Forgeworld missile launcher sentinal that much i had to buy it.

I intend to buy 2 more sentinels before I finish this army - 1 scout autocannon, and a Sentinel Powerlifter, just because :D

I havent really seen a good use of Scouting sentinels yet, flanking doesnt sound that useful in my mind, they work better as mobile infantry support, being able to shoot on the move. also armoured sentinels are Just the bee's knees when it comes to holding up enemy assault squads.

Melissia
10-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I vastly prefer armored sentinels. In fact, I plan on running something like this:

3 Plasma Cannon armored sentinels
2 Multi-Laser armored sentinels
2 Auto-Cannon armored sentinels

And use lascannon heavy weapons teams as heavy anti-tank. It's really a decent amount of firepower and armour for 455 points. It's used as a mobile firebase.

ColCorbane
10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Just don't give them lascannon's

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/Sentinels-side2.jpg

In all seriousness, it really depends on what you need them to do, what gap do they fill or have you just bought them without knowing if you need them?

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Yep, I'm there already. Yet to be done, but soon, 1 Antitank squad of three Lascannons + 1 squad with Autocannons.
Two of my Infantry squads have ML's and my two Vet squads also have autocannons, so plenty, plenty AT! lol

I had pretty much decided on Armored (I brought my three before the new ones came out and got the armor and plas on Ebay) but then flanking caught my eye.......

I do like the idea of whacking my regular Ork steamroller oppo in the flank! lol

Beautiful Model by the way Tsini

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 11:08 AM

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/Col-Corbane/Imperial%20Guard/Sentinels-side2.jpg

In all seriousness, it really depends on what you need them to do, what gap do they fill or have you just bought them without knowing if you need them?

Those are very nice.....

ColCorbane
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Those are very nice.....

Cheers mate, there's a few more pics on my blog if you're interested.

http://corbaniaprime.blogspot.com/2009/07/621-sentinel-support-company.html

:)

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 11:22 AM
As mentioned before, your talent with vehicle markings is outstanding, love the bases too.

Aldramelech
10-09-2009, 11:24 AM
So.....

3 Armored. 1 Plasma and 2 Autocannon?

Tsini: Can we get a close up of that?

ColCorbane
10-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Cheers mate :)

Chumbalaya
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't like Armored Sentinels much, too pricey, too BS3 and you have better options for AV12 weapons platforms.

Sentinels should be kept cheap as possible since they're so disposable. Multi-laser or autocannon is all I go for.

TSINI
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
So.....

3 Armored. 1 Plasma and 2 Autocannon?

Tsini: Can we get a close up of that?

Cheers mate,

yeah if you follow this link

http://lucky88th.blogspot.com/2009/09/is-it-bird-is-it-plane-pretty-much-and.html

it will take you to some pics of the sentinal from different angles, and you can enlarge them to full screen by just clicking on them :D

just ignore the unfinished vulture ;)

EDIT: just realised the pics of the sentinel itself are actually of it in an unfinished state :S but you get the idea

imperialsavant
10-09-2009, 06:45 PM

1/ Go Armored
2/ Go Scout
3/ 1 Armored 2 Scout
4/ 2 Armored 1 Scout

Opinions?

Well I built 3 & put tops on 2 & had the 3rd with the Armoured cab but can run them as either Armoured or Scout by just adjusting points/ Armour. That lets me choose which is more suitable for the mission or what I want them to do. Plus as they are Valhallans it fits the "Fluff" that on an Ice World you would need a roof to keep the snow out of the cab! lol
Pic follows!

SandWyrm
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM

http://www.goreham.com/misc/painted_sentinels.jpg

Yeah, I converted mine with Lascannons, but I use them as Autocannons these days. They work better against AV10/11/12.

George Labour
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
As I run a mechanized infantry (only took 10 years to make them effective) I find that autocannon armoured sentinels have become my preference. I have vendettas and melta vets for anti tank, and the hydras provide anti transport/infantry. The sentinels really are just my swiss army knife. They can advance and provide fire support to hurt any light vhicle or put wounds on any infantry out there. They can also charge or get charged and be expected to hold up a unit for two rounds, it not a whole game.

I did use plasma cannon sentinels in a low point game, but only because I was facing a termy heavy army. They did okay, but for the cost I could get most of another hydra, or a basilisk. For apocalypse I'll definitely take them, plus lascannon sentinels to form a stompa hunter company.

Crae
10-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Is it possible to magnetise the parts, then you can change from one set up to another. I don't know the kit is build, but it should be feasible to make the parts exchangeable. That would be what I would do.

Aldramelech
10-10-2009, 03:57 AM
Is it possible to magnetise the parts, then you can change from one set up to another. I don't know the kit is build, but it should be feasible to make the parts exchangeable. That would be what I would do.

No mate, that wont work.

Crae
10-10-2009, 04:00 AM
Hehe...now comes the part, where I ask...why ? is it weapon mounts, or the armoured top that is the problem ?

Aldramelech
10-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Hehe...now comes the part, where I ask...why ? is it weapon mounts, or the armored top that is the problem ?

You have to cut off the Scout roll bars on the cab to fit the metal armored cab.

Crae
10-10-2009, 04:10 AM
You have to cut off the Scout roll bars on the cab to fit the metal armored cab.

Can't the metal cab be cut into smaller parts, that fit into the roll cage ? or maybe cut off the roll cage so that it can be reattached. I imagine that the roll cage is the only thing you cut away ? If so, it should be a snug refit and the magnets would go into the place, the roll cage had before.

Edit: I was looking at the sentinel kit sprue, and it seems to be the easiest magnet job in the world. But are you working from a different sprue then the current GW sentinel plastic sprue ?

Aldramelech
10-10-2009, 05:11 AM
Yep. Ive got the older Sentinels....

Melissia
10-10-2009, 07:25 AM
I don't like Armored Sentinels much, too pricey, too BS3 and you have better options for AV12 weapons platforms.

Not really. You don't have any options for plascans unless you put it on an expensive Leman Russ tank. Armored Sentinels make great mobile firebases which can also counterassault if need be. If yer not getting plascans, you should stick with cheap options like multilasers, heavy flamers, and autocannons.

Abominable Plague Marine
10-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Yep, I have a lot of success with my Plascannon Armoured Sentinals.

TSINI
10-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Yep, I have a lot of success with my Plascannon Armoured Sentinals.

Plarmourntinels?

I too have success with mine!

Aldramelech
10-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Plarmourntinels?

I too have success with mine!

As soon as I saw the Plas sentinel I knew I had to have one. Id brought my three already but luckily I found the Plas part on Ebay for a couple of quid.

Crae
10-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Yep. Ive got the older Sentinels....

ahhh ofcause. I would stay away from doing alot with that, unless you want to make your own armoured parts that you can slot in from plasticard.

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 12:54 AM
ahhh ofcause. I would stay away from doing alot with that, unless you want to make your own armoured parts that you can slot in from plasticard.

No mate, thats just too much like hard work! lol

Crae
10-11-2009, 03:18 AM
No mate, thats just too much like hard work! lol

Hehe... You don't strike me as the type that is deterred by hard work :P
On the plus side if you do the casing yourself it wont be as top heavy ;)

<<Add what ever random encouraging stuff here>>, since I want to see it done :P

Edit: I am NOT hoping for it to happen......;)

Aldramelech
10-11-2009, 03:32 AM
Mmmmmm we'll see...........

the one
10-12-2009, 07:28 AM
I also add that I have had plenty of success with Plasma Cannon ,Armoured Senitals.

Aldramelech
10-12-2009, 09:17 AM
They do seem to be popular, perhaps I should Plas all three?

Melissia
10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Wouldn't be a bad idea if you're facing off against MEQs. Pop their transports and give them a nice plasma bath.

the one
10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Has anyone tried experimenting with the new senitals legs? I got some really good poses, I'll post some pictures as soon as I find my damn Camera...

SandWyrm
10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Has anyone tried experimenting with the new senitals legs? I got some really good poses, I'll post some pictures as soon as I find my damn Camera...

Yes, they're much more pose-able than the old ones. I was able to build one of the new Armored Sentinels in a sort of crouch without too much trouble.

Abominable Plague Marine
10-16-2009, 08:39 PM
Has anyone tried experimenting with the new senitals legs?

Ive used the Leman Russ front track guard as a bit of extra armour on my Sentinel legs, finding it does restrict the pose to a taller one, but Im ok with that.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w108/robkingofsnake/Skitarii%20-%20Ordo%20Reductor/R0013212.jpg

the one
10-17-2009, 08:05 AM
The Armoured 3

the one
10-17-2009, 08:13 AM
The 3 Scouts.

the one
10-17-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm not the greatest painter in York but I think i do enjoy the modelling aspect more than most.

At least thats my reason for having litarally hundreads of unpainted wacky men on my worktop. Only got the armoured ones painted because I use them regually.

Aldramelech
10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Again Plasma seems to be the weapon of choice........

Back to Ebay, more Plas cannons needed!