PDA

View Full Version : New basing kits and paints

eldargal
10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-z6TNFTPgaNg/UImc68XMHbI/AAAAAAAAD70/sIvDUoRL_2Y/s1600/DSC_0242.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vwGItVHQikA/UImc50kHnnI/AAAAAAAAD7o/Yk7jV4Q9vUk/s1600/DSC_0240.JPG
From Dice and Brush.

inquisitorsog
10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
So "drybrush" paints with more medium added?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Oh my. There's a lot of want on those pages.

I need a complete paint set replacement, my painting is starting to suffer because I'm using old paints...

eldargal
10-25-2012, 11:19 PM
The old paints aren't too bad, though I grant the new layer paints seem to be of superior quality in my experience.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Oh f*ck yes.

My old paints are becoming all clotty, and I don't like it... :(

Houghten
10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
A... Skaven basing kit?

Glory to the Great Horned Rat (but mostly to me)!

daboarder
10-26-2012, 01:32 AM
I really want to see more pictures of those basing kits.

That under-empire one in particular will hopefully fit my Morbid angels well. And if I'm lucky the deathworld one will be great for nids.

Bout time GW focused more on the basing market share, its an area absolutely domminated by other sellers at the moment for good reason.

Deadlift
10-26-2012, 01:35 AM
Oh f*ck yes.

My old paints are becoming all clotty, and I don't like it... :(

Dude, please try some Vallejo paints 1st or some Reaper Master Series paints, I do use GW paints too, but these I find far better.

Deadlift
10-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Under empire kit looks good. especially for my crons.

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 02:21 AM
@EG, do you ever sleep? 05:48? O_O

TDA, I second Deadlift on the vallejeo paint, the yellow is certainly the most even I've ever used, and the whites not bad either.

Herzlos
10-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I really want to see more pictures of those basing kits.

That under-empire one in particular will hopefully fit my Morbid angels well. And if I'm lucky the deathworld one will be great for nids.

Bout time GW focused more on the basing market share, its an area absolutely domminated by other sellers at the moment for good reason.

If the price is reasonable I'd be all over the new basing kits. I got the existing 40k one in a clearance and like it but I wouldn't pay the asking price for what is a couple of tiny tubs of gravel (available for a few quid a kilo in hobby shops) and some resin bits and pieces. If I could get all the resin bits in a big kit without the loose material I'd consider it though.

alshrive
10-26-2012, 03:23 AM
reading through it also mentions new army cases, any word on these?
#edit; EPIC FAIL considering one of them is pictured!

DrLove42
10-26-2012, 03:28 AM
New basing kits could be great. Need to see better pics, I really like the 40K one....helps keep my bases more interesting, particularly the big ones.

Cap'nSmurfs
10-26-2012, 03:32 AM
GW really do want all my dang money, don't they? A whole paint set probably isn't going to happen, but a new basing kit would be delightful!

isotope99
10-26-2012, 04:36 AM
Based on this image, I like the paint box. Looks more practical than their previous paint megabundle in terms of storage and accessibility.

Wildeybeast
10-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Like everyone else, I find the idea of themed basing kits pretty groovy. Especially ones with warpstone in them.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Dude, please try some Vallejo paints 1st or some Reaper Master Series paints, I do use GW paints too, but these I find far better.

You guys don't remember my puritan thread? I paint in GW a hell of a lot. I can only use GW paints there, why would I buy 2 sets of paint?

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 11:24 AM
There was a puritan thread?

Why would you want to paint with an audience?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Because I like people???

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 11:49 AM
But then you can't do it in your dressing gown?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Save that for when I go home?

Kawauso
10-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I think I just had a stroke.

That paint set, nice as it is, is $540 here in Canada, compared to $340 in the US.
At a time when our dollar is stronger or around parity.

Normally I'm not terribly put off by what I call the "you don't live in the States tax", but hoooly....wat.
I mean, I can't really afford to treat myself for $340 this year, let alone adding another $200 on there for the privilege of living on this side of that particular border (a border which is, I should note, about 10 minutes from where I live). It's an awesome paint set and I'd love to have it but...just...damn.

Gir
10-26-2012, 09:41 PM
I think I just had a stroke.

That paint set, nice as it is, is $540 here in Canada, compared to $340 in the US.
At a time when our dollar is stronger or around parity.

Australian one is $730.

gcsmith
10-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Australian one is $730.

It's £280 in the UK which with 144 paints is less than £2 a paint, you actually save money compared to last years paint set which was just a convience buy.

Gir
10-27-2012, 05:04 AM
It's £280 in the UK which with 144 paints is less than £2 a paint, you actually save money compared to last years paint set which was just a convience buy.

Well it ends up $5 a pot Aus, and the standard price is $6, so it's a pretty good deal.

Kawauso
10-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Australian one is $730.

Oh I know you guys have it worse.

It just seems a lot more galling to me (personal part of the issue aside) when I can look out my window across the river at an American town - I can literally -see people- they are so close - and those people are paying $200 less than me for the same damn thing.

Psychosplodge
10-27-2012, 10:45 AM
It's cheaper yeah, but are you ever going to use more than about half the colours anyway?

Kawauso
10-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I would, yes.

But then I have 9 armies and am liable to pick up models for more over time.
I've got some (free) Khador models in the mail right now, too, so I'm even (finally) dipping into other game systems.

Alas, I do not have $340 to spend this year on paints...let alone $540.

Gir
10-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Oh I know you guys have it worse.

It just seems a lot more galling to me (personal part of the issue aside) when I can look out my window across the river at an American town - I can literally -see people- they are so close - and those people are paying $200 less than me for the same damn thing.

Yeah, but on average those people do make a lot less money then you guys.

DarkDesigner
10-28-2012, 03:15 AM

I've never understood this line of reasoning from GW. You have more disposable income therefore you shall pay more for the same product. Ok so it levels the playing field and means that people working the same level of job will be able to afford similarly sized armies, but I don't see why you should be penalised just for living in a country that is prepared to pay you better.

By the same line of reasoning, does this mean that countries with lower average incomes get to pay less for GW products? In which case why are we not all importing from Pakistan?

isotope99
10-28-2012, 03:27 AM
Generally, overheads like salaries and rent are higher too. The cost of manufacture is only a small part of the total product cost.

GW's shop costs keep prices high but are also why they have such a large market share, how many people here got started by walking by a GW shop?

Kawauso
10-28-2012, 06:45 AM

...And on average we pay more for everything else including basics like food. Again, the "you don't live in America" tax.

Gir
10-28-2012, 02:59 PM
...And on average we pay more for everything else including basics like food. Again, the "you don't live in America" tax.

You completely missed my point. You pay more for everything, because you have a more inflated currency then than the US. Australia has the same issue, just to a much larger extent. When there is more money in the country, people get paid more. When people get paid more, they are willing to pay more for basic things, and often have to, because wages are so high.

Kawauso
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
You completely missed my point. You pay more for everything, because you have a more inflated currency then than the US. Australia has the same issue, just to a much larger extent. When there is more money in the country, people get paid more. When people get paid more, they are willing to pay more for basic things, and often have to, because wages are so high.

Right, but at a glance, the minimum wage in many states is about 7.25, whereas in many places in Canada it's around 10.50 - about a 30% difference...whereas there's about a 60% difference on the paint set.

$200 is a big difference, was my point, particularly when about 3/4 of Canadians are within 90 miles or so of the border.

Gir
10-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Right, but at a glance, the minimum wage in many states is about 7.25, whereas in many places in Canada it's around 10.50 - about a 30% difference...whereas there's about a 60% difference on the paint set.

$200 is a big difference, was my point, particularly when about 3/4 of Canadians are within 90 miles or so of the border.

If you're that close, why not just go buy it from the US?

Kawauso
10-28-2012, 06:41 PM
If you're that close, why not just go buy it from the US?

Many Canadians do this on a weekly/daily basis for a lot of goods - it's a problem with a pretty long history.
The thing is customs tries pretty hard to ding you with duties taxes and going to the States all the time is a hassle...it'd just be nicer if retailers/companies etc. would price things more competitively here.

Ultimately if I -do- go after the paint set it will be south of the border, obviously. :3

I guess I just had to vent a little because the Canadian vs. American price really rubbed me the wrong way this time - more than what I would normally shrug off.

White Tiger88
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Hmmm can't say im to impressed most of the "E'avy" Metal colors would be useless for a fair amount of armies.......not to mention that case is just a diffrent color of plastic........

Herzlos
10-29-2012, 03:37 AM
If the price is reasonable I'd be all over the new basing kits. I got the existing 40k one in a clearance and like it but I wouldn't pay the asking price for what is a couple of tiny tubs of gravel (available for a few quid a kilo in hobby shops) and some resin bits and pieces. If I could get all the resin bits in a big kit without the loose material I'd consider it though.

£20 for a tub with some resin (FC?) bits and gravel? I'm out. I can recreate the same for maybe £2/3 with some careful browsing and the bits box.