PDA

View Full Version : An Odd Quandry

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 03:37 PM
So, here's what I'm trying to do: I have an old Rogue Trader era mark one land raider. I'm trying to rebuild it and fully magnetize it so it can be fielded as a modern land raider of various marks. So far, so good. I've got the sponsons clipped down to form convenient platforms, magnets installed, and other various problems solved smoothly... until a new one raised its head, and it's a bit of pain.

For what it's worth, here's what the assembly looks like so far:

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll391/electricpaladin/Miniatures/IMG_0035.jpg

For my hurricane bolter bit, I'm using a stormraven's hurricane bolter. The problem is that the top of the assembly is slightly slanted. As a result, if I glue the magnet directly on, the hurricane bolter assembly sticks out to one side. I need to find some way to level the top of the hurricane bolter assembly, and I'm a bit stumped. Clipping and filing it down isn't an option, because the inside of the assembly is so complicated (so the hurricane bolter can turn), so I need to build it up instead. That seems a lot harder.

Any suggestions?

Kirsten
10-25-2012, 03:49 PM
use a thin strip of plasticard at the top to get it level, then greenstuff the gap smooth

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM
use a thin strip of plasticard at the top to get it level, then greenstuff the gap smooth

I thought of that, but I can't figure out how to make sure the plasticard is level, not just at a different angle. Any suggestions

Deadlift
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Can't you angle the magnet on top of the bolter slightly so it compensates. You could sit the magnet in a green stuff bed and adjust the angle until its correct and then leave it to set.

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Can't you angle the magnet on top of the bolter slightly so it compensates. You could sit the magnet in a green stuff bed and adjust the angle until its correct and then leave it to set.

I tried that. The magnet tended to settle down. I might try it again with a little more patience tonight.

Deadlift
10-25-2012, 03:58 PM
I tried that. The magnet tended to settle down. I might try it again with a little more patience tonight.

Or forget the magnet on the bolter side completely and use a small headed pin that you can bend into the right angle. Bend the angle, drill a small hole to sit the pin in, superglue pin in place. Could work ?

Kirsten
10-25-2012, 04:04 PM
I am looking at a stormraven hurricane bolter now and it is straight if you cut the little bumps that position it, what is the issue?

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 04:06 PM
I am looking at a stormraven hurricane bolter now and it is straight if you cut the little bumps that position it, what is the issue?

It's the top that's angled, not the side or back. The whole assembly is slightly trapezoidal from the front/rear.

Kirsten
10-25-2012, 04:09 PM
yes I see, are you trying to magnetise the top then?

easy enough to drill a hole into the top of the sponson that is level rather than flush with the sponson, so that it is deeper on one side than the other

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 04:24 PM
yes I see, are you trying to magnetise the top then?

easy enough to drill a hole into the top of the sponson that is level rather than flush with the sponson, so that it is deeper on one side than the other

I tend to have trouble with that sort of manuever, but I'm beginning to think that it's the best bet. That, or just drill the hole, then use greenstuff inside the hole to change the level of the bottom.

Kirsten
10-25-2012, 04:26 PM
if you keep the drill parallel to the side edge it should be simple enough. given that the bolters turn in the sponson, you don't need the entire mount to turn, so you could always put a magnet in the side as well for the hurricane sponsons

alternatively of course leave the sponson housing off altogether and just use the cylinder with the bolters on

ElectricPaladin
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all your help. I got it. Here's what I did.

I drilled a magnet-sized hole in the top of the hurricane bolter assembly and then pried off the plasticard I'd used to close the back (the assemblies don't have backs - they attach directly to the side of the stormraven). Then, I filled the sinus inside with greenstuff and closed up the back again.

Back to the outside, I put the second magnet in position and then pressed the hurricane bolter into position so that the magnet was pushed down into the greenstuff. The greenstuff had enough cling to pull the magnet away from its partner, leaving it lodged inside the hurricane bolter, and tilted exactly the way I want it. Then I dabbed a little glue on top. I'll leave the whole thing to cure overnight before I do anything more with it.