PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a PS3 game.

Mr Mystery
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
How do?

So I figure it's about time I made use of my PS3's gaming capabilities. Knowing little about modern console games, I'm looking for some recommendations.

Games wot I have enjoyed - Batman Arkham City/Asylum, Prototype 2, Katamari, Space Marine.

Games wot I didn't enjoy - Darksiders 2, Darkness 2.

Generally, it's a no to Sport sims! Also, never really done online stuff, and I'm not keen on it (I use my console to relax, not be pissed off by other people.

DarkLink
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Dark Souls is fantastic. It's an open world RPG vaguely similar to Skyrim, though there are some significant differences. It's an extremely satisfying game to play, because it's very challenging but very fair about it.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier is a solid game. It's a third person cross between Splinter Cell Conviction (very similar to Batman) and more traditional shooters. If you liked Space Marine and Batman, then you'll probably like a lot of the gameplay elements in GRFS. It avoids a lot of the complaints about games like Call of Duty, though being a tactical shooter it does have some similarities.

If you liked the Batman games, I would recommend Splinter Cell Conviction, except they don't make it for PS3. It's similar and extremely smooth 3rd person action/stealth gameplay.

Psychosplodge
10-25-2012, 11:57 AM
GTA 4 is always a big time sink, same for red dead redemption.

Fallout 3 or vegas, you can get them cheap but the pc versions have the modding scene

wittdooley
10-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I just got XCom and its amazing. Super fun tactical RPG.

Kirsten
10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
Ghost recon Future Soldier is amazing, Red Dead Redemption is amazing, loving XCOM at the moment, played that an awful lot, though it has gotten to the point now where it has gone beyond the tipping point, my squad is fully upgraded, I have more than enough resources, so the challenge has gone. Amazing for most of the game though. If you like games like Thief or Hitman, then Dishonoured is really good, steam punk first person rpg/stealth/combat game. Assassins Creed series is great too. As you are a Prototype fan, then definitely Infamous 1 and/or 2 as well.

scadugenga
10-25-2012, 06:39 PM
XCom all the way. I'm having as much fun playing the new version now as I did the original in 1994. (Caveat: I'm playing the PC version, but friends playing the PS3 version are raving about it as well.)

It's a bit "button mashing" but Dynasty Warriors is good mindless fun. And I'm a fan of fighting games--so Tekken has always been a win for me. EA Sports MMA was also highly satisfying.

alshrive
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
I will recommend a classic now. Just Cause 2. what is not to like about it. it is essentially like GTA, on a tropical island, but you get a grapple gun and parachute!! latch on to a car and away we goooooooooo!

DrLove42
10-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Just Cause 2 is amazing. Great fun, hours wasted.

Modern games? XCOM is amazing as is Dishonored, if a little short.
Older? Motorstorm or Uncharted

Mr Mystery
10-26-2012, 04:48 AM
I played the original Just Cause on my PS2. Enjoyable enough game, horribly let down by moronic vehicle physics (me in a Tanky thing, go to run over a moped because it's funny. Moped wobbles and keeps going, I then find myself parked upside down up a tree....)

If they've sorted that, it's a contender.

Motorstorm? Meh. Not really my bag. Uncharted...tell me more!

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Ah yes, just let me surf on top of this massive jet and then break into the pressurised cabin to steal it...

alshrive
10-26-2012, 04:59 AM
nobody argued realism for it! it is just hilariously crazy and fun!

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 05:02 AM
lol I don't own it and I must have spent 30 hours on it...

Mr Mystery
10-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Just irks me with the vehicle physics.

Now, dropping through helicopter rotors without injury, that I can get behind.

But the following should never occur... 'Rrrrr!!!rrrrrrr!!!!VROOOM! BWAHAHAHAHAHA! I r twock tank! Stupid cyclist! You go squish now WHY THE HELL AM I EXPLODING???'

Kirsten
10-26-2012, 05:11 AM
Just Cause 2 is great fun, I would second the Uncharted trilogy, superb games, some of my favourites. Valkyria Chronicles if you like strategy games, Killzone if you like shooters, God of War 3 is pretty cool.

alshrive
10-26-2012, 05:23 AM
I would say they sorted the physics out between 1 and 2. tanks do not get killed by mopeds any more as far as i recall. also the soundtrack is brilliantly titled "Just Cause 2: Music To Blow S**T Up By"
#Edit: Also i now have the urge to play this game and know what i am doing when i get home! scrap the evening of painting, i am going jet surfing, boat hopping, and playing chicken on the motorway!

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 05:34 AM
I just love getting one of those massive fighters off the island airbase in the middle...

alshrive
10-26-2012, 05:35 AM
my personal favourite is just exploring the island by grapelling cars and parachuting along behind them! throw in jumping on the odd roof or to! maybe steal a jet for laughs.....