PDA

View Full Version : Old Washes vs new Shades.

MaltonNecromancer
10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm on my third pot of Nuln Oil.

This confirms it for me. The new Shades are turd.

Has anyone else encountered this? Every Shade I've used leaves a hideous glossy shine where it collects and pools in recesses, like the old Inks used to. The old Washes never had this problem.

I really hope they get this formulation issue sorted, as the Washes were some of the best products they ever released painting-wise. These new Shades just aren't up to snuff at all.

Psychosplodge
10-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I liked the old inks.

But I used them to make coloured metallics like they used to make...

Deadlift
10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Has anyone else encountered this? Every Shade I've used leaves a hideous glossy shine where it collects and pools in recesses, like the old Inks used to. The old Washes never had this problem.

I really hope they get this formulation issue sorted, as the Washes were some of the best products they ever released painting-wise. These new Shades just aren't up to snuff at all.

I made the switch to Secret Weapon washes because of this reason, the soft body black is awesome and I won't be switching back to GW washes any time soon.

Mr Mystery
10-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Not really having an issue with them.

On account of limited artistic ability, I follow the guides fairly closely. Base, layer, wash, layer, glaze. I find that eliminates the sheen quite nicely. With the old ones, I tended to use the wash as the final stage. Which works really nicely on Skaven!

OrksOrksOrks
10-25-2012, 02:50 AM

You need to shake them. The new Shades are a lot better, they give a better colour coverage, they're not just for slapping over a model and calling it done, you shouldn't be letting anything pool anywhere.

MaltonNecromancer
10-25-2012, 03:01 AM
You need to shake them.

I do. It hasn't helped so far. I've shaken them like they owed me money; this has achieved the grand sum of nothing.

they're not just for slapping over a model and calling it done, you shouldn't be letting anything pool anywhere.

Well obviously. The Shades that I have used, when they collect in the recesses, go shiny, in a way the old Washes never used to. I was curious as to whether other people had experienced the same problem as me, or whether I had simply "rolled a lot of ones", shall we say?

eldargal
10-25-2012, 03:23 AM
I've not had this problem.

DrLove42
10-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Nope me neither. And i've used a lot of both old and new washes recently.

I have noticed GW plastic glue is now ****, but not the washes

magickbk
10-25-2012, 07:57 AM
I preferred the old inks to the washes, and it seems like the new Shades are a blend of the two, which I like. Depending on the mixture of shade/water you are using, this could happen, I had it happen a little bit on the last model I worked on, but I wanted that effect, so I put it on very heavy. I matte spray everything after I'm finished, so I haven't noticed any glossyness after the fact.

It seems like the new shades have a slightly higher surface tension than the washes did. I used to mix glazing medium into the washes sometimes to get the consistency I wanted, if I didn't have any of the old ink in that color to mix in. You could try using Liquitex flow-aid to modify the surface tension, but you have to use an extremely tiny amount, 1 part flowaid to 10 parts water and then 1-1 or 2-1 that with your shade. You have to make sure to give it a spray varnish afterwards though, because it will have a tendency to rub off.

Kawauso
10-25-2012, 08:40 AM
I haven't had this problem, and I've been using Nuln Oil pretty extensively for my Necrons.
The differences between the old washes and the new shades that I have noticed are pretty negligible in terms of a side-by-side comparison. I'm not sure I could tell models from before or after apart at this point if I were to go back and try.

Not sure what to tell you. =/

Colonel Kreitz
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
Haven't had this problem either. If the shine is really giving you problems, you might try giving a quick coat of matte varnish though.

Deadlift
10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Or you could try making your own oil paint washes, loads cheaper and far more forgiving. There are quite a few tutorials on YouTube. With so many colours to choose from too it's a technique I am using more and more. Great for weathering effects too.

bfmusashi
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Are their batch numbers on the pots? It could be a bad batch.

inquisitorsog
10-25-2012, 11:08 AM
I've not really seen the problem, but I've done washes as an intermediate step and use hand mixed powder+medium for final grime etc since the new paints came out.

Emerald Rose Widow
10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I have not used the nuln oil personally, but I have not noticed this with any of the other shades, they have always gone on really well and the colouring and pigments have worked perfectly. Could be a bad batch, or something to do with the environmental conditions of where you live, or where you paint specifically. Do you just let them dry in a cool dry place, or are they near some sort of heat vent?

I will say I would love to try oil washes, they can produce some amazing results and give you a HUGE choice when it comes to colouring, and you can mix them at a whim.

White Tiger88
10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Nuln oil is great i use it on all my models no issue