PDA

View Full Version : Denied's new Grey Knight All Commers 1850 list

Denied
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
So I have been working on reworking my Grey Knights since my Purifier Razorspam list got destroyed in 6th edition. In the end I think I have finally come up with a list I really like and I really enjoy playing. It has a little bit of everything and should do pretty solid on the table.

HQ:
Draigo-275
Coteaz-100
Troops:
10x Paladins: 1xsword, 4xHalberds, 4xHammers, 4x Psycannons, 1xBrotherhood Banner: 6355
3xWarrior Acolytes: Razorback- 57
3xWarrior Acolytes: Razorback, Psybolt Ammo, Searchlight- 63
3xWarrior Acolytes: Razorback, Psybolt Ammo, Searchlight- 63
3xWarrior Acolytes-12
Fast Attack:
Stormraven: TL Multi-Melta, TL Assault Cannon-205
Heavy Support:
Dreadknight: Heavy Incinerator-160
Dreadknight: Heavy Incinerator-160
Fortification:
Aegis Defense Line: Quadgun-100
Total: 1850

The Quadgun will be manned by Acolytes and the Razorbacks will be behind the Aegis for at least a 4+ cover save. The Paladins will of course be my beat stick deathstar and I have the added threat of the two Dreadknights, all of which are very survivable units. The Stormraven for Dog fights and harassing units as well as those oh so delicious Mind Strike Missiles (love those things). I am interested to see how people feel about it.

apahllo
10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
Ever consider using mordrak? Deep striking first turn without scattering is amazing. I only use him with the ghosts and he is ridiculously effective, I can't imagine him with a unit of shootie palies. You could claim first blood or knock out the enemy general if he is misplaced or sitting behind a squad.

Him instead of draigo would give you points to play with for things like psyammo and hurricane bolters on the raven. Only down side is palies won't be scoring, which seems to be you main asset.

DarkLink
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
He's not an Independent Character, so you can't put him with a Paladin squad. Mordrack's fun, but there's a reason you don't see him very often in competitive lists.

apahllo
10-24-2012, 07:52 PM
He's not an Independent Character, so you can't put him with a Paladin squad. Mordrack's fun, but there's a reason you don't see him very often in competitive lists.

Ah ha, I'm not used to these non ic stuff. But I run him as an ally to my vanilla or DA with a strikes quad and the psyammo/hurricane bolter raven. And yes, he is soooo much of fun :)

Kyban
10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, between two SCs that aren't ICs and one that team kills it's no wonder Draigo's the most common.

Denied
10-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I know right and I love Crowe too, I just wish he was either an IC or that he had EW because otherwise he is way too much of a risk on his own.

DarkLink
10-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Coteaz, on the other hand, is practically an auto-include. A mastery 2 psyker with Divination that grants access to absurdly cheap scoring units and defends against both Seize the Initiative and enemy reserves while buffing your own Seize, and he's got a 2+ armor with a lot of Str 6 AP 2 attacks for 100pts? There is no other option for your second HQ slot.

apahllo
10-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I know right and I love Crowe too, I just wish he was either an IC or that he had EW because otherwise he is way too much of a risk on his own.

crow is kind of a beast though. i used to play the 1v1v1 game in the 5th ed book and would always knockout daemon princes, decked out captain, abaddon once or twice. all through heroic sacrifice. he is kind of a lame duck in normal games though...

Denied
10-25-2012, 06:49 AM
I know the reason I love him is if he gets into CC he is DEVASTATING. The problem is you need to get him into CC first. One of my favorite moves in 5th ed, if I could pull it off obviously, was to run Crowe into a huge squad of guys and then chose the reroll all saves stance and cleansing flame enemies. You could sit there whittling away enemy units without them being able to do anything about it because you had a 2+4++ and you could reroll ALL failed saves. I remember the first time I did that to a guy in a tournament he nearly flipped the table.

celestialatc
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
So my two cents, I have been having a lot of success with an Acolyte squad behind the Aegis Defense Line.

I would have 3 Acolytes with Plasma Guns (maybe with Power Armor to help them with Gets Hot), 3 Servitors with Plasma Cannons, maybe a Monkey, and then as many normal Acolytes as I can fit for extra wounds. Throw Coteaz in this squad with Divination and you have a strong fire base to camp an objective. I have yet to have this squad wiped out...although I have yet to go up against Noise Marines, who would ripe this squad apart. But so far they have been great. Just something to consider.

Denied
10-25-2012, 09:39 AM
I like the idea celestialatc and think it could be used to build a very strong list, the main reason I went with the Paladins and Draigo build though is over the year at local GT's last year I ended up winning 2 box's of Paladins and a Draigo model. At some point I even bought some Warmachine Protectorate of Menoth Exemplar Bastions on ebay for really cheap and I had a lot of fun using them to build up a squad of nearly 15 Paladin/ terminator models. I really put a lot of time into the building and painting aspect of my army this time around and I want it to be seen.

Additionally, and I don't know why it is exactly, I was having a hard time finding a build that not only was strong in tournaments, but also fun to play. I did well with just a foot slogging Draigo and Inquisitor with a couple of foot slogging strike squads in a local tournament, but it was just so bland and one dimensional. I may take you up on your suggestion though as I proceed in building up my guys in the future.

Additionally I recently was able to make the deal of the century and found a guy on Craigslist who was trying to unload his huge Eldar collection. ~$1400 in models and some of which are really rare. There was a Bone Singer in the lot and all of the aspect warriors and models were the old Pewter ones. I got that army for a trade where I gave him my old Xbox elite and 4 games( The orange box, Fallout3, Fallout New Vegas, and Red Dead Redemption). All of which I haven't touched in over a year. So now I have this awesome Eldar army I need to figure out what to do with in the future,

DarkLink
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Why didn't I think of Servtors with Plasma Cannons, I take a big squad of cheap Acolytes as a scoring unit anyways... I just don't want to waste Coteaz protecting them from Mindlock.

Denied
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Why didn't I think of Servtors with Plasma Cannons, I take a big squad of cheap Acolytes as a scoring unit anyways... I just don't want to waste Coteaz protecting them from Mindlock.

Well okay and I am tempted not to even mention this because it is a trick that has suited me well in the past. If you have them with the Aegis line and a Quadgun Coteaz can be manning that and when any unit (IE Necron Flying Circus) comes in from reserve withing 12" of him you can make your out of sequence shooting with the Quadgun as much as you would like. Then after your opponents movements are done you can still use your Interceptor shots. This is a one trick pony that often only nets you one additional set of shots with the Quadgun since after you say "Is that where you are placing that unit? Final answer?" and they say "Yes." and you say okay "Dakka Dakka Dakka" They usually make some sort of unintelligible guttural noise and ask you why? Then they learn not to do that again. Still though it lets you pop two Necron flyers instead of one with in a single turn.

apahllo
10-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Well okay and I am tempted not to even mention this because it is a trick that has suited me well in the past. If you have them with the Aegis line and a Quadgun Coteaz can be manning that and when any unit (IE Necron Flying Circus) comes in from reserve withing 12" of him you can make your out of sequence shooting with the Quadgun as much as you would like. Then after your opponents movements are done you can still use your Interceptor shots. This is a one trick pony that often only nets you one additional set of shots with the Quadgun since after you say "Is that where you are placing that unit? Final answer?" and they say "Yes." and you say okay "Dakka Dakka Dakka" They usually make some sort of unintelligible guttural noise and ask you why? Then they learn not to do that again. Still though it lets you pop two Necron flyers instead of one with in a single turn.

This is genius and going to be in my next allies config

celestialatc
10-26-2012, 07:13 AM
I like the idea celestialatc and think it could be used to build a very strong list, the main reason I went with the Paladins and Draigo build though is over the year at local GT's last year I ended up winning 2 box's of Paladins and a Draigo model. At some point I even bought some Warmachine Protectorate of Menoth Exemplar Bastions on ebay for really cheap and I had a lot of fun using them to build up a squad of nearly 15 Paladin/ terminator models. I really put a lot of time into the building and painting aspect of my army this time around and I want it to be seen.

Additionally, and I don't know why it is exactly, I was having a hard time finding a build that not only was strong in tournaments, but also fun to play. I did well with just a foot slogging Draigo and Inquisitor with a couple of foot slogging strike squads in a local tournament, but it was just so bland and one dimensional. I may take you up on your suggestion though as I proceed in building up my guys in the future.

Additionally I recently was able to make the deal of the century and found a guy on Craigslist who was trying to unload his huge Eldar collection. ~$1400 in models and some of which are really rare. There was a Bone Singer in the lot and all of the aspect warriors and models were the old Pewter ones. I got that army for a trade where I gave him my old Xbox elite and 4 games( The orange box, Fallout3, Fallout New Vegas, and Red Dead Redemption). All of which I haven't touched in over a year. So now I have this awesome Eldar army I need to figure out what to do with in the future,

I don't think you need to take out the Paladins. I would actually offer up the idea as a way to augment the paladins. They are a strong fire base that can help blow up some of the dangers to your paladins. It would mean giving up one of your dreadknights, but it very well could be worth it.

Denied
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
I don't think you need to take out the Paladins. I would actually offer up the idea as a way to augment the paladins. They are a strong fire base that can help blow up some of the dangers to your paladins. It would mean giving up one of your dreadknights, but it very well could be worth it.

I can see where you going with it now I think. The thing then is that that Dreadknights are there to deal with horde clearing, specifically dirty Zombie blobs. I think the redundancy there is a little essential unless I switch it up and start bringing Purifiers (which are better at horde clearing thanks to Cleansing Flame, but die a little easier). If I do that though then I am playing a significantly different list. Not that I wouldn't be opposed to it though as I could bring my purifiers off the shelf. This may actually be an idea at some point. This biggest issue in the end though is the number of bodies I am bringing and the amount of threat generated vs how easy they are to kill.

celestialatc
10-26-2012, 09:01 AM
I can see where you going with it now I think. The thing then is that that Dreadknights are there to deal with horde clearing, specifically dirty Zombie blobs. I think the redundancy there is a little essential unless I switch it up and start bringing Purifiers (which are better at horde clearing thanks to Cleansing Flame, but die a little easier). If I do that though then I am playing a significantly different list. Not that I wouldn't be opposed to it though as I could bring my purifiers off the shelf. This may actually be an idea at some point. This biggest issue in the end though is the number of bodies I am bringing and the amount of threat generated vs how easy they are to kill.

I would like to say that my Acolyte squad would be just as useful against hordes as a Dreadknight...what you gain on Templates you do loss on mobility. Dreadknights are just amazingly mobile. So yea it does come down to your play style. Maybe save my idea for your next list.