PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop Marketing Department Beware...

Denzark
10-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Article:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/micwright/100008091/the-ipad-mini-is-a-smart-gadget-but-apples-overhyped-launches-are-beginning-to-bore-the-pants-off-us/

Says it all really.

olberon
10-24-2012, 01:05 AM
indeed. Seems like the maketing department -again- screwed up. They should have gone for android and hit a broader market

Mr Mystery
10-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Just parroting what I've read, but whilst Android does hold the market share, each device has a slightly different version. Apple however has a single version at anyone time, so you can be sure everyone with an iPad can use the app/ebook thingy.

Psychosplodge
10-24-2012, 01:33 AM
The android device is irrelevant though as there will be a set of software standards that ensure compatibility, like a webpage should be viewable in the majority of web browsers regardless of pc hardware.

Wolfshade
10-24-2012, 01:57 AM
That looks like the Samsung galaxy note...
But yeah, I mean we are all using different machines with different software to view this internets page so it isn't hard to over come.
There are a couple of issues first while andriod users are the growing and largest market share they are less inclined to pay for content, so the app store has a higher revenue, there are also issues with how java is implemented,

eldargal
10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
GW are going to release everything on Android, they went with Apple first because it was easier and a big segment of the market.

DrLove42
10-24-2012, 03:44 AM
You jsut to have to look at app ratings on the Android marketplace. Lots of 4-5 and lots of 1s. If you read the reviews it makes sure it lists what phone you use. All the 5's are "yeah worked great" and all the 1's are "not compatable with my phone".

Apps are tricky. But surely a single, document reader wouldn't be too hard.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a HTC One X, there isn't a lot that doesn't work... If anything.

I can't wait for GW releases on my phone.

Mr Mystery
10-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm thinking of getting an iPad at some point.

Long commute means I can watch iPlayer stuff on it, and of course carry my codecies/army books wherever I go. Which is nice.

And although I have an iPhone, I am adamant that I am not an iWhore. I have never queued for an Apple product in my life (well, perhaps an Apple pie, but that doesn't count) now do I intend to pointlessly upgrade to the latest model every single time. I shall continue with my masterplan of 'buy technology, use it until it dies, buy new'. Has work out pretty well so far!

Deadlift
10-25-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm thinking of getting an iPad at some point.

Long commute means I can watch iPlayer stuff on it, and of course carry my codecies/army books wherever I go. Which is nice.

And although I have an iPhone, I am adamant that I am not an iWhore. I have never queued for an Apple product in my life (well, perhaps an Apple pie, but that doesn't count) now do I intend to pointlessly upgrade to the latest model every single time. I shall continue with my masterplan of 'buy technology, use it until it dies, buy new'. Has work out pretty well so far!

New mini iPad will make accessibility even cheaper for some.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-25-2012, 01:00 AM
How much is the baby iPad?

Psychosplodge
10-25-2012, 01:52 AM
I have a HTC One X.
But have you done skydiving photography yet?

And although I have an iPhone, I am adamant that I am not an iWhore. I have never queued for an Apple product in my life (well, perhaps an Apple pie, but that doesn't count)
You mean the iPie

New mini iPad will make accessibility even cheaper for some.

You mean the iPhone 7 without the actual phone gubbins? (coincidently the screens apparently big enough so you can see wednesday's position in the championship without needing to scroll down)

Wolfshade
10-26-2012, 02:47 AM
The miniIfad is just a copy of the hp ipaq

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 02:59 AM
Seriously isn't it just an iPhone without the phone gubbins in it?

Wolfshade
10-26-2012, 03:30 AM
I thought that that was an ipod touch...

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 04:02 AM
could be, they're all just shiny overhyped iboxes to me...

Wolfshade
10-26-2012, 04:08 AM
I can't wait for the Iphone 10
http://img.scoop.it/zEA6EBwRid-qQglHYrjqGDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtc eBJ

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 04:09 AM
The office cricket (http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/915774-jon-hare-sensible-software-interview-there-s-only-one-person-that-s-better-than-me) edition? though the screen will break...

DrLove42
10-26-2012, 05:11 AM
if the iPad keeps shrinking, and the iPhone keeps growing at one point will they be the other way around?

Sean_OBrien
10-26-2012, 09:34 AM
The miniIfad is just a copy of the hp ipaq

We actually still use a couple of iPAQs for our installers (they have a multimeter attachment which allows it to store settings and you can plug in via USB to configure remote devices...).

Anywho, a year or two ago had some whipper snapper come along while I went along on a job to train some new employees who started ranting about how Apple was going to sue them for the iPAQ name as they were convinced that Apple owned the rights to all iStuff. Nevermind that the ones which we are using are nearly 10 years old (well before most the iStuff other than I think the iMac) and the first HP iPAQ was released over a year before Apple released their iPod.

Regarding making the cost of entry to GW's digital stuff lower...I wouldn't hold your breath. One of the reasons they went with the iPad format was that GW has a bunch of incompetents for IT people who find it difficult to deal with multiple resolutions. You can't read the digital stuff on an iPhone - you likely won't be able to on the iPad mini either as that would require them to resize the media as well. They might be able to roll with it - but GW doesn't exactly have a great track record in that regard (they will also likely flip out about the ability to share portions of books on Facebook with the new iBooks version).

wittdooley
10-26-2012, 11:28 AM
How much is the baby iPad?

$329; IMO, too high a price point, but it's still going to outsell most other devices it's itended to 'compete' with. I'm incredibly surprised they didn't come in at $250 to at least directly compete with the Nexus7.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:34 AM
I'll be over here... With my money...

Sean_OBrien
10-26-2012, 11:42 AM
$329; IMO, too high a price point, but it's still going to outsell most other devices it's itended to 'compete' with. I'm incredibly surprised they didn't come in at $250 to at least directly compete with the Nexus7.

I'm not. Largely Apple and GW have gone to the same school regarding marketing. Pretend like your competition doesn't exist and that you were the first one to have an idea.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:46 AM
When you contribute something to a hobby related thread then I will consider your opinions Sean...

Seriously, do you actually play any Wargame?

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Well I can see his point.
Apple charge a high price for mid range tech, packaged in a trendy(as hyped by themselves) case. to the point where they've gained a cult following with a religious fanatic mentality.
GW are at the high end pricewise of wargaming, personally, I haven't seen models of the same quality in plastic. And their metals were good. Jury's still out on F/C. And don't really seem to care that you can pay half as much elsewhere for things.
Though the major difference is GW customer service is second to none (from experience) apples from what I've heard is shockingly bad.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
We have discussed this half a million times...

*obvious exaggeration.

Psychosplodge
10-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Possibly more.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
When Gotham is ashes... etc etc etc.

Sean_OBrien
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
When you contribute something to a hobby related thread then I will consider your opinions Sean...

Seriously, do you actually play any Wargame?

I do - though I no longer play GW rules (they lost me with 5th Edition 40K and I never cared much for their fantasy models) or buy GW models (it is actually cheaper for a few of us to get together and commission sculpts which I cast up in the garage). So, I generally avoid commenting on threads regarding their new models or new rules.

I do post hobby related stuff on other sites...just never saw the need to get too involved with those threads here. I read them from time to time - but I also read and don't comment on a lot of hobby related threads and articles. They are useful without discussion IMO, and unless I have a question (or answer)...there is nothing to add.

Psychosplodge
10-27-2012, 11:54 AM
http://youtu.be/kb7X8ch04Vs

Denzark
10-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I actually meant the secretive marketing, last minute release bollocks not the market dominance. But hey hoo.