PDA

View Full Version : Whats the new use with Drop Pods? Viable still?

Eljonson
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Gosh I hope there still good as Drop Pods are fun. Any thoughts folks on their play for the new 40k?

ChacoStylez
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Drop pods are still viable in 6th ed. In my book. I have had great success with 3 drop pods: 2 with full 10 man sternguard squads and a single drop pod with a 10 man tactical squad. I attach my cap and librarian as the mission requires, and use drop pod assault to either drop both sternguard squads or drop the tac and stern squads and keep the other stern squad in reserve for late game. I love my drop pods!

Tynskel
10-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Considering people cannot do the 'null' deployment anymore, drop pods are a lot more fun to use.

ElectricPaladin
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I use a drop pod for my sternguard. Given that sternguard can't score and have rapid-fire guns that can be fine-tuned to take out a wide variety of targets, drop pods are a great fit. You can put them almost exactly where they need to go, with limited chance of mishap, and then have them pile out and utterly trash their target. Once there, your opponent will probably need to pay attention to killing the sternguard off - or ignore them, at their own peril - leaving you time to get your important (scoring) units into position. If they die, they die.

So far, the only game in which my dropguard has not managed to totally screw up my opponent's plans was the time they scattered off the table and got mishapped to the wrong side of the board. Once, they contributed to a turn one win-via-tabling against a heavily reserved force. Another time, they very nearly managed it.

Chris Copeland
10-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Considering people cannot do the 'null' deployment anymore, drop pods are a lot more fun to use. Tynskel, we've been through this before. You can see the thread here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?22950-You-CAN-Have-a-Fully-Reserved-Drop-Pod-Army&highlight=). You CAN have a null-deployed drop pod army. It is one of the few choices that allow for a completely null-deployed army. Cheers. Cope

daboarder
10-24-2012, 06:37 AM
I believe he is referring to the fact that your opponent cannot null-deploy against a drop pod army, allowing them to alpha strike the sh*t out of anyone not playing loyalists.

Chris Copeland
10-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Ahhh. OK. I see that! :)

Eljonson
10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Ahhhh, enlightened I've now become. Thanks for the insights. Will be finally playing a game of the new 40k this weekend. Drop Pod City coming down!!! ;)