PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Space Wolves - local tourney this weekend

hippsman
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Will probably be facing Orks, Chaos, BA, and Nids.

Orks player will bring horde
Chaos will bring Typhus, New Daemon Engine, Nurgle Marines and Termies
Tyranids will bring Swarm Lord, a Trygon and a Carnifex or two, plus swarmy stuff
BA, not sure, but maybe a Stormraven

I don't have an Ageis Line so I have to make a list with what I have available. Here is my list so far.

HQ

Rune Priest (Living Lightning, JoftWL)
Wolf Priest

Elite
Wolf Guard x3 w/ LR Redeemer (one with a PF) They will be put in troops, but mainly wanted the LRR to not take up a Heavy slot)
Dread w MM and Droppod

Troops
Grey Hunters x 5 Plasma
Grey Hunters x 5 Plasma
Grey Hunters x 5 Melta w Rhino
Grey Hunters 10 (PF, Standard, Mark, 2 Plasma)

Heavy

LF 5 ML
Vindicator
Whirlwind

This list is about fire power with one squad that can take a charge pretty well that will be in a LRR, though assault will not be my focus. I want to shoot things to death and be able have them weak enough that when they get to me, I can easily dispose of them.

Dread comes in first turn and either focuses a vehicle to take out or in position to attack a troop choice on an objective and it distracts the opponent from some of my other stuff as well. I expect he will die, but if he does his job right, he should take out a key transport/tank if not more before he dies.

I would appreciate any input you can provide.

hippsman
10-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Played in the tournament with this list today with one change. Instead of the Wolf Priest, I took 2 Land Speeders with MM. I won 2nd place out of 10 people in the tournament.

1st game was against Dark Angels. Mainly termies and bikers. Dawn of War, 5 objectives. Dread did a great job of taking his tac squad off the objective and getting them into combat. Long Fangs rocked it against his bikes hitting with all of them and taking it down to his Warlord. His warlord charged a GH squad with no upgrades but a plasma and though he took out 2 of my guys, I was able to give him his last 2 wounds. Whirlwind didn't do much though it moved in front of termies to block charging into one of my GH squads. in the end I won by 2 victory points and it could have been more had I realized the time and ran a squad to take another objective.

2nd game was kill points, short edge deployment against horde ork. Think 120 orks. No vehicles, Mass guys. a small squad of nob bikers with warlord. 2 squads of Lootas...ugh.... My LR did so well every game except this one. I unknowingly got in range of a bomb squig and it blew me up in one hit. but my big squad in the LR with a PF was able to take down the warlord. He killed more of me because killing 30 man squads is not easy, but I did get Slay the Warlord and Line Breaker which tied us up in the end.

3rd game was against orks again, but this time it was Ghaz. We had 5 objectives that did weird things as a halloween themed tournament. Every game turn a dice was rolled for each objective. On a 1-2, any unit within 6" takes 1 wound with no saves of any kind or FNP. Vehicles took 1 HP away. on a 3-4, the objective moved 2d6 in a random direction. on a 5-6, any model with in 3" of it was immune to all damage of any kind. Very strange trying to plan for that, but thanks to taking 2nd turn I easily scored a massacre.

Over all the Land Raider was the hero with the exception of the 2nd very lucky roll that my opponent got to take it down. The LF were great and the whirlwind not so much. Being indirect and not rolling hit very often, I struggled getting it to get many hits from it. It was cheap and was a great distracting unit so I guess it was worth the 85 points for that reason.

Over all it was fun. My 11 year old son played his first tourney ever. (he has only played me at home) and he got 7th out of 10 players and he had a blast. His opponents said he did well. He got a minor victory and 2 minor losses. I was quite proud of him as young as he is.

I received a $40 credit which I promptly spent on a Doomscythe/Nightscythe. :)