PDA

View Full Version : Worst Debate Moderator Ever

Drunkencorgimaster
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Candy Crowley gets my vote for the worst debate moderator ever. She injected herself into the debate to help one of the candidates. That is absolutely unheard of. She then tried to backpedal and throw a bone to the other candidate by saying they were also right on a certain point but the damage was done by that point. If you can't keep your own bias out of the debate, stay the hell out of it.

She also picked questions from the town hall viewers which were heavily biased. Romney was asked "What is the difference between you and ex-President Bush?" Are you freaking kidding me? STILL blaming Bush? Was Mondale in 1984 asked "What is the difference between you and ex-President Carter?" Was Kerry asked "What is the difference between you and ex-President Clinton?" (Answer: "I **** my wife").

We need a goat herder from Terra del Fuego who can't find the USA on a map and has never heard of any of the parties to moderate these stupid things. I would not give a rat's *** if he did not speak a word of English. Just give him a timer and a kill switch for the candidates' microphones. He'd do a way better job.

DarkLink
10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I've heard all the debates so far had poor choices of moderators. The VP debate moderator apparently had invited Obama to her wedding and he attended, which seems kind of like a conflict of interest to me, and I've heard it showed a little.

wittdooley
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
The VP debate one was the best. Candy Crowly was awful and incredibly unprofessional.

lobster-overlord
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
While I am a fan of PBS and NPR, I definitely think they should not be involved with the debates. I don't know who this woman was for the VP one, but to continually use people from an organization that is constantly seen to have a liberal bias is certainly wrong.

Sean_OBrien
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
In terms of the moderator actually doing their job (as dictated by the agreement came to by the campaigns prior to the debate) the first was the best moderated debate.

In the first debate, Obama got 42:50 minutes of talking while Romney got 38:32 minutes of talking. Each candidate was allowed a fair chunk of time in the 6 "discussions", and the moderator largely stayed out of the way - though Obama did get the larger chunk of the allotted time, granted good portions of that were taken up by his "ahhhs" and "ummms".

In the VP debate, Biden got 41:32 minutes of talking while Ryan got 40:12 minutes of talking. Biden was interrupted 5 times and Ryan 15 times.

In the Candyland debate, Obama got 44:04 minutes while Romney got 40:50 of talking. Obama was interrupted 9 times while Romney was interrupted 28 times (including the infamous "fact check").

I think the VP debate was viewed as being less biased largely because of Biden's incessant laughing throughout the entirety of it. It is hard for a moderator to interrupt over his interruptions.