PDA

View Full Version : Horus Heresy: Shadows of Treachery

Jmaximum
10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Okie dokies: I'm in process of reading chapter 5 of Prince of Crows.
But OMG do I have a ton of questions about this book!

************************************************** ****************************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS****************************************** ******************

1. Crimson Fist: towards the very end of the story, it mentions that Navarr regains consciousness after being left for dead aboard Perturabo's flagship, although we never know what happens to him. And on the last page, Captn Polux does not recognize Terra, which kind of implies they did not arrive in the Sol system.....and they leave it there.

2. The Lightning Tower: I like how Abnett eldues that Malcador has the Mona Lisa on his wall, as well as a Van Gogh (garish yellow flowers rendered in thick paint), but I do not know who this is:the unflinching, rheumy gaze of an old fleshy man, cast in shadow, tobacco brown. Any ideas who this is a picture of?
2a. Dorn says "Oh, Holy Terra..." on the bottom of page 163. One would think any kind of 'holiness' or assigning religious potency to anything at this point would be unheard of. I wonder Abnett wrote Dorn as saying this?

3. The Kaban Machine: page 206: I like how McNeil explains how the Emperor's heraldry gained the second head to the eagle, from the truce with Mars. I guess thunder armor used to have a one-headed eagle? Either way, I have seen it thrown around b before that the imperial eagle was supposed to be that of the Imperial Roman Eagle (double headed, looking over the entire empire, as in Rome sees everything.)

4. Death of a Silversmith: really, I just want to know why the silversmith was killed, and who killed him? It's clear the silversmith is making badges for the Warriors Lodge aboard the Vengeful Spirit, and he makes badges for the Mournival as well, but why was killed?

5. Prince of Crows: pg 323: is there any background on how Night Lords 13th company took a world without firing a single shot?

5a. Who is Alastor Rushal, the fallen Raven Guard that the Night Lords ruling caste deems worthiness to lead a Night Lords company? There's gotta be some background on this guys somewhere.

That's all I have for now.

inquisitorsog
10-17-2012, 08:06 PM
1b. I think the reference to not recognizing Terra is that Dorn's so rebuilt everything, it was no longer recognizable. I didn't take it for anything more than that anyway.
2a: I think it's just a slip up on Abnett's part.
3. I kept thinking the whole story seemed very,very remiscent of the Mechanicum novel. I couldnt shake that at all. was it a chapter or some other bit that got cut from that novel and spun into a stand alone?
5. I've seen reference to it before. Basically, the so terrorized the world with the fear of the Night Lords that it caved in rather than risk their wrath.
5a. no clue. The "losers" of Istvaan have gotten a raw deal in terms of treatment. Yeah, we finally got the story on how Corax attempted to rebuild quickly and Manus got some love in the Primarchs collecition ,but some more pre-Heresy would have been nice. Vulkan is still practically a no-show unless I'm forgetting something.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
To answer question 2, I think it's this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1026216!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_370/image.jpg

To answer question 4, I believe it was Abaddon. They needed to cut ALL loose ends.

Bigred
10-17-2012, 11:26 PM
I like how Abnett eldues that Malcador has the Mona Lisa on his wall, as well as a Van Gogh (garish yellow flowers rendered in thick paint), but I do not know who this is:the unflinching, rheumy gaze of an old fleshy man, cast in shadow, tobacco brown. Any ideas who this is a picture of?

This is Abnett slying listing some of the most famous Old Master's painting:
Da Vinci's - Mona Lisa
Van Gogh's - Sunflowers (https://www.google.com/search?q=van+gogh+flowers&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS242&prmd=imvnsa&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=tZF_UPyiBITs2QWUsoDYAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1666&bih=752#hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS242&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=vincent+van+gogh+sunflowers&oq=vincent+van+gogh+sunflowers&gs_l=img.3..0l7j0i5.79815.81371.5.81505.10.10.0.0. 0.0.290.1711.0j7j2.9.0.cpsugrpq1..0.0...1.1.5USOHC 4J-XQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=c53e94deb294fd2f&bpcl=35440803&biw=1666&bih=752)
Rembrandt's - Self Portrait (http://www.google.com/imgres?start=95&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS242&biw=1666&bih=752&tbm=isch&tbnid=GXQHfXfQkDz45M:&imgrefurl=http://www.artfinder.com/work/self-portrait-as-an-old-man/in/collection.danny-fulkersons-favourites-1/&docid=VZya63JYhJY4uM&imgurl=https://d30dcznuokq8w8.cloudfront.net/works/r/ng/9/4/0/403049_full_570x703.jpg&w=570&h=703&ei=qpJ_UJWmLqSy2wX62oHIDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=741&vpy=135&dur=8011&hovh=249&hovw=202&tx=105&ty=135&sig=117546424844217958549&page=3&tbnh=132&tbnw=111&ndsp=53&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:100,i:61)

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Ah! Well played.

Bigred
10-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Those fools at college said my art history minor would never be useful in the real world - HA!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Red I think you need to look up the definition of 'real'. :p

But seriously, props for nailing that.

pgarfunkle
10-18-2012, 06:29 AM
There's one I really like which is about the Emperor's origin, but I cannot remember which book it is in. I think it may be in the Lightning Tower but do not have it to hand to check.

Anyway from what I remember a Primarch (Dorn if it is the Lightning Tower) is discussing a conversation with the Emperor and the conversation was about the Primarchs and their relationship to the Emperor.

It goes along the lines of the Emperor saying that he has put elements into the Primarchs which were put into him by others and that when he has united the Primarchs he will be whole again. The Primarch involved questions him about who these others are but he says that it does not matter anymore does not answer further.

This seems to point to the old story of the Emperor being the reincarnation of ancient shaman's which I thought had been disregarded from the current continuity.

Thought it was nice to get a small hint at the Emperor's origins. Now I really want to go through the book and find this now!

Wow just realised I have said Emperor a lot in this post!

Emperor!

Jmaximum
10-21-2012, 04:56 AM
There's one I really like which is about the Emperor's origin, but I cannot remember which book it is in. I think it may be in the Lightning Tower but do not have it to hand to check.

I read that story once, and I believe that it is 'The Last Church', where it is also hinted that the Emperor used to be St. George and whatnot.

pgarfunkle
10-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I read that story once, and I believe that it is 'The Last Church', where it is also hinted that the Emperor used to be St. George and whatnot.

Ah yeah I remember that, but it is not the one I was thinking of. There is a passage somewhere in Shadows of Treachery I'm sure. I've just been having a look through the book but haven't been able to find it yet.