1 HQ
2 troops

AdamHarry
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
just wondering what would be a good detachment of SW
1 HQ
2 troops

HQ - Runepriest with a runic weapon, 2 Psychic Powers of your choice
Troop - Grey Hunters w/ Wolf Banner, Power Weapon, 2 x special weapons (suggested) or [Modify load out based on what you want to do]
Troop - Grey Hunters w/Wolf Banner [Modify load out based on what you want to do]
Hvy- Longfangs w/ missile launchers (suggested)

I'd also look at putting one or both in a Drop Pod, but it depends on what your main Blood Angels list is and what you want the Space Wolves to do in your list.

How many Points do you play typically?
What is your Main Force made of? (Jump Packs, Storm Ravens, gunline, etc?)

Lord of the Dead
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
i want to run with Mephiston
3 jump troops
thats about a 1000 points right there
my jump troops are set up to handel armour and infantry

AdamHarry
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Ok cool. It sounds like your Blood Angels are going to be played aggressively then, hopping from cover-to-cover.

Dropping two Grey Hunter packs down as Scoring Troops in the back will give you a good fire base and a Runepriest will help with psychic/anti-psychic roles. If you did take a long fang squad that would just add to the fire support role the wolves would be providing.

I only bring up the Runepriest and the Long Fangs because they are truly unique in the Space Wolves Codex. The Grey Hunters can be swapped out with Tac Squads (although you're trading the guaranteed counter-attack for a shot at furious charge and fearless). Long Fangs are super Points efficient and the Runepriest has one of the better anti-psycher abilities with the runic weapon.

Kyban
10-16-2012, 02:56 PM
You might even be able to give the rune priest a jump pack to join your BA troops, can't remember if that's one of your options or not. He might be pretty awesome with some divination though.

Lord of the Dead
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
with the way points are falling!

i can use my list with everthing you mentioned and still have about a 100 points left over.
should i add some lascannons or plasma cannons with the long fangs.

AdamHarry
10-16-2012, 09:47 PM
with the way points are falling!

i can use my list with everthing you mentioned and still have about a 100 points left over.
should i add some lascannons or plasma cannons with the long fangs.

That's really up to you as it depends on your local area (meta) more so than my anecdotal knowledge. I will say that Missile Launchers are a still rock solid choice. a Lascannon might be a good call as you can split fire and be a larger threat to armor. If you are worried about terminators showing up (or other +2 armor save guys) a Plasma Cannon will certainly cause them some concern!

Either option you go with, just remember you're changing their target priority to one way or another (either anti-heavy armor or anti-heavy infantry). Missile Launchers let you maul light armor and troops, but having a "specialized" weapon in there is a plus with the splitfire -- so basically there is no "bad" choice.

How are your assault marines loaded? You mentioned they are ready to kill armor and infantry -- what special weapons are they packing?

AdamHarry
10-16-2012, 09:50 PM
You might even be able to give the rune priest a jump pack to join your BA troops, can't remember if that's one of your options or not. He might be pretty awesome with some divination though.

They are battle bros so they can join each other's squads. They just can't embark in allied transports.

Kyban
10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
They are battle bros so they can join each other's squads. They just can't embark in allied transports.

Yeah, just couldn't remember if he could take a jump pack that would let him keep up with the BAs. He can take one.

Lord of the Dead
10-17-2012, 04:43 AM
7 reg assault marines 1 flamer 1 melts-gun and sargent has duel lighting claws w/melta-bombs. all three squads are set up the same way. if i use Missile Launchers I'll have enought points for a dreadnought.

AdamHarry
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM
7 reg assault marines 1 flamer 1 melts-gun and sargent has duel lighting claws w/melta-bombs. all three squads are set up the same way. if i use Missile Launchers I'll have enought points for a dreadnought.

I think the special weapons are solid -- They aren't specialized units but that is ok. Having one flamer and one melta per squad causes them to be a threat to most things.

personally, I'm not a fan of the dual lightning claws on the sarge. He's still only got 1 wound and is only in power armor. I'd either go with a power sword or power axe - but keep the meltabombs. the Sword will net you the same +1 attack from close combat weapons, as will the Axe. You'll lose the re-roll to wound, which is why I lean toward the Power Axe, the +1 str and ap2 are great for dealing with heavy infantry.

If you swap those things out, you might have enough points to get a dread in a pod -- With one pod, you're guaranteeing that it will come down turn 1 and cause problems. If you have the points/models for it, I'd check out a Furiouso Dread with a flakk cannon and Hvy Flamer. This will allow you to drop in and put 3 templates on a unit. The flakk cannon is str 6 with rending as well, so light armor still has to look out. In addition, with the heavy flamer, you've still got a power fist so it can fight off other dreads, tanks, and heavy infantry. And the armor 13 makes it immune to basic marines with only krak grenades (which is why I take meltabombs on all my non-power fist sarges now).

Keep in mind, these are just suggestions. I'm not the one playing the army, you are. If you decide to do something completely different, good for you! play what you like and like what you play. If you really want to run lightning claws or double plasma cannons, or whatever -- go to town! It's your hobby and you make the most of it. cheers!

Lord of the Dead
10-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Alright i hear you on the non specialized units. I've ran over everything and this is a new idea! Never using SW I'm kind of just guessing on how and what to field

BA
HQ
Mephiston, Lord of Death

AS #1
Sergeant Power axe, Plasma pistol, and melta-bombs
1 flamer
1 melta gun

AS #2
Sergeant Power Sword, Plasma pistol, and melta-bombs
2 melta guns

AS #3
Sergeant Power maul, bolt pistol, and melta-bombs
2 plasma guns

SW
HQ
Rune Priest
Living Lighting
Tempest's Wrath
Storm Bolter
Runic Armour
Jump pack
Wolftooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman
Chooser of the slain

Grey hunters X2

2 Plasma guns
1 Power sword
Wolf Standard
Mark of the Wulfen

Long fangs 5 plus Sergeant
Plasma gun with the Sergeant
3 missile launchers
2 multi-meltas

In my mind this should work out pretty good! I'm always up for suggestions thu.

AdamHarry
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Alright i hear you on the non specialized units. I've ran over everything and this is a new idea! Never using SW I'm kind of just guessing on how and what to field

BA
HQ
Mephiston, Lord of Death

AS #1
Sergeant Power axe, Plasma pistol, and melta-bombs
1 flamer
1 melta gun

AS #2
Sergeant Power Sword, Plasma pistol, and melta-bombs
2 melta guns

AS #3
Sergeant Power maul, bolt pistol, and melta-bombs
2 plasma guns

SW
HQ
Rune Priest
Living Lighting
Tempest's Wrath
Storm Bolter
Runic Armour
Jump pack
Wolftooth necklace
Wolf tail talisman
Chooser of the slain

Grey hunters X2

2 Plasma guns
1 Power sword
Wolf Standard
Mark of the Wulfen

Long fangs 5 plus Sergeant
Plasma gun with the Sergeant
3 missile launchers
2 multi-meltas

In my mind this should work out pretty good! I'm always up for suggestions thu.

Looks pretty solid! I'd play a few games to get a feel for what works and what isn't syncing with the rest of the army before making more changes. We can all play theory-hammer till the cows come home, but that's a poor substitute for field testing!

Get in a few games and come back let everyone (me specifically because I'm genuinely curious) know how it turned out :) Good luck, also when you get called "Team Twilight" just laugh it off and let them know these aren't sparkle-pires!

Tynskel
10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
I'd recommend swapping the wargear around. Stormshield n' hammer with 2 meltas, pair of lightning claws with 2 flamers, and possibly a third with flame pistol n' mace + 2 plasma rifles.

have the last squad combat squad as necessary.

holy crud, I need to read the post above...

when it comes to Space Wolves...
Get Bjorn! You already have a psychic HQ, but a dreadnought HQ? w00t!
Get the obligatory Grey Hunter Squad...
then bring in a Lone Wolf! for s(¡†s and Giggles.