PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard 2000pts - Suggestions and commentary

walrusman999
10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
HQ
- Ursarkar Creed
- Jarran Kell
- Whats left of the platoon command (3 normal guardsman)

Troops
- Infantry Platoon
- 5 (10 man) infantry squads
- 3 heavy weapon squads
- 3 Lascannon total
- 6 Autocannons total
- Infantry Platoon
- 5 (10 man) infantry squads
- 3 heavy weapon squads
- 3 Lascannon total
- 6 Autocannons total
Heavy Support
- 2 Leman russ
- Hull mounted lascannon
- Plasma Cannon Side sponsons
- Leman Russ Executioner
- Hull mounted Lascannon
- Heavy Bolter Side sponsons

The plan was to abuse the crap out of orders to take out major threats and move the guardsman forward and just blast everything to death with "First line, Second line."
I realize this is limiting the amount of capturing units available, but if there are 2 objectives ill just plant one 50 man squad on each and they can uproot me if they can.
Also scouted tank squadron to eliminate choice targets. They are ultimately set up to rape anything with a 3+ armor save. Its possible massed units could pose a problem, say another guardsman army, orks, or tyranids if they try to swarm me.

Please post comments, thoughts, concerns, suggestions, anything at all you feel would help round this out without changing it entirely.

walrusman999
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
After having reviewed my list a little more. I would like to pose this question: My army would not be considered a "Deathstar" would it? As I have only invested significant points into the tanks, either as a squadron or as individual units.

Please I really would like to refine this a little more before I spend more money on finishing it up.

DWest
10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Traditionally, a "Death Star" involves a single melee-oriented unit, stacking several ICs for maximum damage potential. For example:
-A GK Paladin squad by itself is not a Deathstar, but a Paladin squad with Draigo, a Brotherhood Champion for charge re-rolls, and a Techmarine for annoying grenades is definitely a Death Star.
-An IG Death Star would most likely involve Col. Straken, a Lord Commissar, and several Evicerator-wielding Priests stacked together.

As far as your list goes, a couple of things I might suggest:
-Add a Commissar to one Infantry Squad per platoon and then "blob up" using the Combined Squads rule (C: IG pg 37)- the Commissar makes the squad Ld 9 and Stubborn, which will help keep them on the board; possibly drop down to 4 Infantry Squads per platoon, just so there aren't so many bodies on the field that anyone can draw you into assault from anywhere.
-Drop the Plasma Cannons on the regular Russes. Ordinance weapons make all other weapons on the vehicle fire Snap Shots (6ed pg 71) and Plasma Cannons cannot fire Snap Shots, as they are Blast weapons (6ed pg 33). I would personally recommend Battle Cannon & Lascannon for the basic Russ, and Ex Plas, HBolter, and HBolter sponsons for the Executioner if you don't have points for Plasma Sponsons. Remember that the player doing the shooting gets to choose in what order wounds are resolved, so you can use the Heavy Bolters to peel junk models off a squad before letting the plasma do its' thing (6ed pg 15)!

Aegwymourn
10-17-2012, 09:03 PM
I agree with DWest on both the deathstar definition and Russ issues ( a similar issue came up with a local guard player shortly after 6th came out). I would find some points for an aegis defence line. It helps quite a bit espcially with going to ground for the 3+ cover save and then using the order that lets them fire as normal the following turn (get back in the fight?). Other than that the only thing that might give you trouble is very mobile and shooty or mobile and assaulty armies. But that goes for all IG armies.

walrusman999
10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Drop the Plasma Cannons on the regular Russes. Ordinance weapons make all other weapons on the vehicle fire Snap Shots (6ed pg 71) and Plasma Cannons cannot fire Snap Shots, as they are Blast weapons (6ed pg 33).

Russ have the Lumbering behemoth rule, so I should be able to fire all of the other weapons first and then fire ordinance as according to the Guard Special rule, Which if the rule still applies, anything written in a codex outplays the general rules. Otherwise That kinda ruins half of my tank squadron and i'll need to re-evaluate it.

I apparently stand corrected, unless there is a rule saying you can only fire a number of weapons after moving a vehicle, the ordinance rule still applies doesn't it. Hmm this changes things.

and on a separate side note, dunno if this changes things, i forgot to mention that 2 of the 10 infantry squads have a vox as well as the platoon commands to get the orders across. Though if i drop the sponsons (gonna be a ***** to remodel) i have enough for both squads to also get a commissar. And if i drop 2 squads down to 80men, would it be worth it to spend the other 130points i have left(taking out commissars) on another heavy weapon team? or be an *** and get a vendetta?

DWest
10-17-2012, 11:21 PM
If you've got 130 points loose, I'd go with Aegwymourn said and get an Aegis line, and go with the Icarus Lascannon; I know it's not twin-linked, but put a good shooter on it (like Creed, he's not really going anywhere) and the Str 9 has a much better first-hit kill chance than the quad-guns, especially vs. the really scary stuff (CSM Heldrake comes to mind- with a S6 AP3 torrent flamer, it burninates the peasants whether they're in a thatched-roof hut, Aegis line, or meter-thick adamantium bunker!)

Also, I know it's a bit spendy, but the Griffon mortar carrier is amazing now, as are Mortar HW teams- as Barrage weapons, they can be used to "template snipe" enemy models, since the Wounds are allocated as though coming from the center of the blast marker (6ed pg 34).

Finally, with your Russes, are they the new version (they'll have a really flat turret if so)? Iirc, the guns slot into the sponson/front swivels, and if so you might be able to pull them straight out.

walrusman999
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
I recalculated earlier with 145 points extra. So it would be 85 for a defense line and lascannon. ill have 60 points extra should i grab a squad of mortars (60points even)

walrusman999
10-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Would it be worth dropping kell, since the squad is gonna say back, and picking up a few vox units for the heavy weapon teams, gives a reroll for orders, or should i keep kell and pick up the vox anyway with the extra 60 points instead of mortar units?

Turner
10-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Russ have the Lumbering behemoth rule,

Really? What page is that on again in the Imperial Guard FAQ? Page 3?

Page 48 – Leman Russ Battle Tank, Lumbering Behemoth.
Replace this entry with the following: “A Leman Russ follows
the rules for Heavy Vehicles on page 83 of the Warhammer
40,000 rulebook.”

DWest
10-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Would it be worth dropping kell, since the squad is gonna say back, and picking up a few vox units for the heavy weapon teams
Heavy Weapons Teams don't get the option to buy Vox Casters (C: IG pg 97), so I'd say either stick with Kell or drop him for a Lord Commissar to gain his Ld bubble, although that requires models to remain close to the Commissar.

walrusman999
10-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Really? What page is that on again in the Imperial Guard FAQ? Page 3?

Page 48 – Leman Russ Battle Tank, Lumbering Behemoth.
Replace this entry with the following: “A Leman Russ follows
the rules for Heavy Vehicles on page 83 of the Warhammer
40,000 rulebook.”

the last FAQ i read said that hadn't changed, so i was under the assumption it hasn't. Regardless, the fact that i fire an ordinance at all would reduce all the others to snapshots even if they still had the old lumbering behemoth.

- I Just looked at the now updated FAQ. I was going off of the first one they released before the 1.1 update. I was unaware that they had released a new FAQ, thank you for pointing it out

drop him for a Lord Commissar to gain his Ld bubble, although that requires models to remain close to the Commissar.

the Lord C. only has a 6in range on the aura, so its kinda pointless with creed's 24in bubble. Which leaves me with roughly 60 points and not sure what to do with them... except get another squad of guardsman XD or outfit some of the squads with heavy weapons since they wont be moving as much anyway. Any suggestions on elite units or something? possibly techpriest or ratlings? Thoughts on Knight Commander Pask?

DWest
10-18-2012, 10:24 PM
If you can pry up a total of 65, go with Marbo, the guy is amazing. Being able to deliver a Demolitions Charge anywhere on the table is incredible. And while I know from a purist fluff standpoint he's a Catachan, with all the pain and suffering Cadia has been through from Abaddon and Friends, surely there must be at least one pyromaniacal sociopath amongst the ranks?

Otherwise, I'd say probably a group of Ratlings, with Sniper weapons getting the Precision Shot rule they can really win the day, and if those don't look good, how about a Scout Sentinel or something else from Fast Attack, to help out with scoring in The Scouring mission?

walrusman999
10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Somewhere i dun screwed up, after going through my army list more than 3 times and totaling up all of the points, including commissars and aegis line, i have an extra 75 points. Which brings up weither i get Marbo, I agree he is an awesome unit, or do i spend it on something else, Hydra flak, griffon, ratlings... And if i pick up marbo, i have 10 extra points, thoughts on equipping the Executioner with multi-melta instead of heavy bolter sponsons.

walrusman999
11-04-2012, 09:24 PM
So i just played this entire list... and got **** on... hardcore.... Mind you, this was against space wolves so I was at a disadvantage to begin with. And I will say that ultimately I was rolling really horribly all day as well. But barring all of that, the squads are not nearly capable of any sort of survival outside of possibly point capping. And the heavy weapon teams, even twin linked most of the time, only killed one tank :/ a whirlwind. They didn't even glance the land raiders enough times to take them out. Though successfully stopped a redeemer from moving into template range by immobilization.

So from thinking on it, I also had issues with terrain blocking my commanders view (because creed has to see the tanks to issue the command) as well as seeing over friendly units because the heavy weapon teams are kneeling and so have a lower LoS and the normal troopers gave most of the enemy a 5+ cover because of possible friendly fire.