PDA

View Full Version : two units assulting one

Anakzar
10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Two termagants assaulted a squad of scouts and were killed to over watch fire. Leaving the path open (it was inside a fortification so tight quarters) for the hive tyrant to get into base-to-base on its assault of the scout squad.

My opponent said because assaults happen all at the same time my hive tyrant could not assault. He is the owner if the gaming shop so I didn’t make waves... but I would like to know what others think.

The hive tyrant was going to assault the same squad but if the termagants had survived there was not room enough for the hive tyrant to get into base-to-base but it would have been less than 2 inches away likely one inch(width of an infantry base.)

My Questions are:
1) can a squad assault, if they have enough range to reach base-to-base, but they can't get into base-to-base because there are friendly models in the way leaving them within 2 inches of the enemy squad

2) Can a squad assault if the path is cleared due to over watch provided they have enough range to get into base-to-base.

The way I read it is:

Question 1) No, at least one assaulting model must end up in base-to-base.

Question 2) Yes, each squad is activated in turn and once the path is cleared models that were removed are no longer there to affect the next assault

Nabterayl
10-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Two termagants assaulted a squad of scouts and were killed to over watch fire. Leaving the path open (it was inside a fortification so tight quarters) for the hive tyrant to get into base-to-base on its assault of the scout squad.

My opponent said because assaults happen all at the same time my hive tyrant could not assault. He is the owner if the gaming shop so I didn’t make waves... but I would like to know what others think.

The hive tyrant was going to assault the same squad but if the termagants had survived there was not room enough for the hive tyrant to get into base-to-base but it would have been less than 2 inches away likely one inch(width of an infantry base.)

My Questions are:
1) can a squad assault, if they have enough range to reach base-to-base, but they can't get into base-to-base because there are friendly models in the way leaving them within 2 inches of the enemy squad

2) Can a squad assault if the path is cleared due to over watch provided they have enough range to get into base-to-base.

The way I read it is:

Question 1) No, at least one assaulting model must end up in base-to-base.

Question 2) Yes, each squad is activated in turn and once the path is cleared models that were removed are no longer there to affect the next assault
You're correct on both points. As to the second question, absolutely nothing suggests that all charges occur simultaneously. Instead, all we are told is that "Once all the models in a charging unit have moved, the player can choose another unit and declare another charge if he wishes." The necessary implication is that the second charge, which is declared after the first charge move is resolved, is also resolved after the first charge move. Selecting the order you declare your charges in is part of the strategy of the Assault phase.

Tynskel
10-13-2012, 11:16 PM
also note:

Overwatch occurs once. You shoot only once per assault phase (if you are not locked). So, charge order is important.

If you have termagants and genestealers in charge range, you need to make the choice of who charges first. You want to make sure the genestealers make it, but you don't want them to fail because of Overwatch wounds...

Wildcard
10-14-2012, 01:42 AM
What if on turn 2 termagents would have assaulted scouts, and the fight would have continued till the turn 3 at which point genestealers would assault to the fight as well.

Who can strike who, and are there any limitations (like in 5th there were that no-one could strike blows to such 'newcomer')?

Tynskel
10-14-2012, 06:49 AM
???
You can strike any valid target.
If you are already locked in combat,you don't get to over watch, and you don't benefit from cover in CC.

DarkLink
10-14-2012, 08:53 AM
You move exactly one assaulting unit at a time, as well as resolving Overwatch unit-by-unit. You would get to charge your Hive Tyrant, and your opponent would not get a second Overwatch on it.

And in 5th, you could strike 'newcomers'. That was a poorly worded rule that didn't mean what people think it did. It never prevented you from attacking newcomers, and nothing about that has changed.

Tynskel, he's referring to the rule that said you could only direct attacks at units you were in base contact with at the start of the combat. People assumed that meant start of the assault phase, which it didn't because that would make no sense, and so they took that to mean that if you were already locked in combat and another unit assaulted in, you couldn't attack the newly assaulting unit. Which wasn't how it worked, but people misread it all the time. Either way, you're right, there's no such restriction in 6th, not that there was in 5th either.

Tynskel
10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Oi!