PDA

View Full Version : A useful article...

Mr Mystery
10-12-2012, 06:23 AM
Courtesy of Auntie.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19910561

Not sure how this would interact with you dirty foreign types buying our good British produce (like I dunno, certain plastic or resin crack?). But certainly here in the UK, if I ordered a Finecast kit, and found it wasn't cast quite right (overstated as the problem is, it does happen!) GW would still have to sort it out (which they do. Of all their perceived failings, customer service isn't one of them!).

But this goes for ALL UK online retailers. Useful huh?

Psychosplodge
10-12-2012, 06:43 AM
It's certainly helpful when you know you rights, not very good when they don't train their staff correctly though...
maybe we should have a database to name and shame crappy online retailers...

Sean_OBrien
10-12-2012, 07:33 AM
Courtesy of Auntie.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19910561

Not sure how this would interact with you dirty foreign types buying our good British produce (like I dunno, certain plastic or resin crack?). But certainly here in the UK, if I ordered a Finecast kit, and found it wasn't cast quite right (overstated as the problem is, it does happen!) GW would still have to sort it out (which they do. Of all their perceived failings, customer service isn't one of them!).

But this goes for ALL UK online retailers. Useful huh?

IIRC, it actually applies throughout the EU - though I would need to dig out the book on that one. I think it would all fall under the 1997 Distance Contracts directive which is part of the normalization standards for you guys over there. We set up inventory controls for a few companies a few years back, and I recall getting briefed on the basics of it by our legal guy.

Somewhat more wiggly though is that there is a good chance that if you are in the UK or EU those rules might apply if you purchase from a site or company in the US or Canada as well (or Australia I would guess). Part of the cost of doing business generally places the final rights and legal jurisdiction at the customer's location as opposed to the seller's location. However, that is a bit more difficult of an issue to force if you wanted to force the issue.

Vermis
10-14-2012, 09:39 AM
maybe we should have a database to name and shame crappy online retailers...

Then you'd have a bunch of people crawling out of the woodwork to whine about agendas and conspiracies.

Psychosplodge
10-14-2012, 02:14 PM
probably.