PDA

View Full Version : What scale of tank is a Leman Russ?

White Tiger88
10-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Well i am trying to pick a scale of ww2 tank to fit in for a leman russ in my DKOk army but i can't figure out what scale match's the size... Any Suggestions?

Deadlift
10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Buy a Leman Russ ?

Aren't 40k models 28mm, not sure how that equates into scale to be honest. Me I would just grab a Leman and if on a budget, eBay a 2nd hand one.

inquisitorsog
10-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Well i am trying to pick a scale of ww2 tank to fit in for a leman russ in my DKOk army but i can't figure out what scale match's the size... Any Suggestions?

It's going to be hard as GW stretches scale of some parts and compresses the scale of others. Sometiimes it stretches one dimension and compresses another dimension on the same part, esp gun barrels.

Anyway, 1/32 is way too big, 1/48 is too small. Even 1/43 looks too small to me, and you'll only get that in die cast, not a model. My rough calculations by comparing a rhino to an M113 is that it's approximately 1:38-1:40 scale. Edit: 1/43 may be hard to find if you're after a particular tank other than something common like a Sherman.

But hope is not lost in any respect, if you're just after WWII tanks, http://www.warlordgames.com/us-store/bolt-action.html makes 28mm WWII, although they may be pricier than the usual die cast or scale model versions.

Also, the miniatures page has a good write up comparing scales to miniatures "sizes" to model rail road http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html To be realistic, the "hero hammer" figures we get from GW usually look really large compared to the theoretical scales we expect though.

EDIT: If you want a firm answer from me though: 1/43 will be the most common scale (usually only die cast thought) that's close. The reason GW compresses some dimensions is because what's good for wargaming isn't automatically good for scale modellers.

wittdooley
10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I have some of the warlord 28mm tanks. Definitely too small feeling.

White Tiger88
10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Buy a Leman Russ ?

Aren't 40k models 28mm, not sure how that equates into scale to be honest. Me I would just grab a Leman and if on a budget, eBay a 2nd hand one.

I am playing death korps so i wanted a german feel to my army..... And really wanted to use a Panther as my second russ (Since my first is mars pattern)

White Tiger88
10-11-2012, 05:36 PM
LOL Turns out my russ is 5" long so im going to get a 1:48 german Panther aparently its the same size :D

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=32520

Denzark
10-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I do quite a few turret swaps (especially vanquishers) and 1:48 fits right. The body of the tank will look odd because of the low tactical profile as opposed to the massive lozenge silhouette of a LR chassis.

White Tiger88
10-12-2012, 03:55 AM
I do quite a few turret swaps (especially vanquishers) and 1:48 fits right. The body of the tank will look odd because of the low tactical profile as opposed to the massive lozenge silhouette of a LR chassis.

Considering my army is a take on the wehermacht color scheme it should fit right in anyhow :) plus i have an extra russ turret lol

Now the hard part.. Tiger 1 or a Panther....My baneblade is a king tiger...

Chris*ta
10-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Initially reading this question, I was going to say the correct answer is MBT, but evidently everyone else understood the question and I didn't :o

I do feel compelled to point out that DKoK are far more WW1 than 2, but I guess there aren't any appropriate WW1 tanks to stand in :D

I guess it's worth noting that it's hard to get a real world tank that really matches the scale of the LR as it is so much taller than it's footprint would indicate.

eldargal
10-12-2012, 07:47 AM
1/48 seems to work so long as you avoid GW tanks alongside them. Fairly sure one of my brothers uses 1/48 tanks in one of his armies alongside GW Guardsmen (Praetorians) and the only time they start looking out of place is when GW tanks are placed alongside.

Digitarii
10-12-2012, 08:06 AM
1/48 is the closest scale to 40K. You should swap weapons or at least upscale them to match better. The scale really only looks off if you run true 40k tanks beside them.

Nemesis
10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
If you're thinking of Death Korps---a company called Emhar make a series of WWI tanks. The classic 'Little Willie' lozenge shape and a German one if I remember. They're a bit of a pig to get together as they are short run plastic kits--no location pins etc but they look the part when they're done. A 28mm figure standing next to one looks ok. They're 1/35 scale by the way.

White Tiger88
10-12-2012, 04:08 PM
1/48 seems to work so long as you avoid GW tanks alongside them. Fairly sure one of my brothers uses 1/48 tanks in one of his armies alongside GW Guardsmen (Praetorians) and the only time they start looking out of place is when GW tanks are placed alongside.

Im running a Mars pattern exterminator along with it...... Plus Death korp models are a bit smaller then normal guard so i am hoping for good match. Plus the long barrel on the Panther should make a pretty cool Vanquisher :D

Durendin
10-14-2012, 11:08 PM
In the early days of Games Workshop the company bought the rights to produce a model of the WW2 French Char 1 Bis tank and it was from this that the Leman Russ tank was developed, so take any scale Bis and put a Russ next to it and you'll not be far off!

Chris*ta
10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
In the early days of Games Workshop the company bought the rights to produce a model of the WW2 French Char 1 Bis tank and it was from this that the Leman Russ tank was developed, so take any scale Bis and put a Russ next to it and you'll not be far off!

I've never heard this before. Also, the Leman Russ bears far more similarity to the British WW 1 heavy tanks, (with a turret added) rather than the Char 1 bis.

Apart from anything, the Leman Russ wasn't produced until the mid 90s, well after GW produced anything non Warhammer/40k.