PDA

View Full Version : Helldrake and Torrent VS Ruins

Tepogue
10-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Ok, while musing about what weapon to put on my Helldrake first (Gonna just make both options magnetic in the end) I decided to look at the Bale Flamer and its delightful rules.

Torrent: place small end of Template within 12 inches of firing model. /check thats fine. I'm as happy as Kharne burning fellow World Eaters when I reach page 101.

Paraphrasing here:
Template weapons can only be placed on the floor you are on or 1 level above/below.
exceptions: Jump, Jetpack, Jetbike, Skimmer can place it on any level.

My flying fire breathing Dragon, cannot flame roof tops. . . . .

Help Me Out! Find something to correct me.

Tynskel
10-11-2012, 01:33 PM
???

if a model can get on the rooftop... then you can aim at the rooftop...

inquisitorsog
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
???

if a model can get on the rooftop... then you can aim at the rooftop...

Tepogue is referring to the fact that otherwise, it seems stuck on "ground level" and templates (including torrents) can only go one level lower or higher. Nothing is said about flyers being anything special in relation to ruins.

Won't be a problem if hovering though.

Dlatrex
10-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Ah... the problem of writing the rules for templates, before any Fliers had templates! Looks like we need *another* FAQ.

Wildcard
10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Actually, torrent- rule hasn't changed at all from 5th ed (there were some units i were struggling with back then, but its really simple, with no need for the FAQ), and here is why:

p.43 Torrent: When firing a weapon with this special rule, place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the wide end is no closer to the weapon than the narrow end. *Simple to this point, but next phrase will give us salvation:* The weapon is then treated like any other Template weapon.

So, you are free to place the template at what height, and at what place as long as you obey the simple "narrow end closer than the wider end" rule. Only after picking the spot for the template it does start to follow normal rules for the templates (Thus it can be put to practically any floor you like, since the range is calculated from the muzzle of the weapon. 12" range equals roughly 4 floors up from buildings, and you got few floors extra from the oval flying base... so unless you are having ~10 floor buildings, your flyer can target its torrent flamer to any floor..

inquisitorsog
10-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Actually, torrent- rule hasn't changed at all from 5th ed (there were some units i were struggling with back then, but its really simple, with no need for the FAQ), and here is why:

p.43 Torrent: When firing a weapon with this special rule, place the template so that the narrow end is within 12" of the weapon and the wide end is no closer to the weapon than the narrow end. *Simple to this point, but next phrase will give us salvation:* The weapon is then treated like any other Template weapon.

So, you are free to place the template at what height, and at what place as long as you obey the simple "narrow end closer than the wider end" rule. Only after picking the spot for the template it does start to follow normal rules for the templates (Thus it can be put to practically any floor you like, since the range is calculated from the muzzle of the weapon. 12" range equals roughly 4 floors up from buildings, and you got few floors extra from the oval flying base... so unless you are having ~10 floor buildings, your flyer can target its torrent flamer to any floor..

It's also critical to keep in mind is Torrent is a USR, therefore able to modify any general rule. I was thinking earlier as a weapon type, not USR. I think there's still a question if a flyer has a regular template weapon, but that hasn't happened yet that I recall so I'll just put that to the side for now.

SacredChao
10-12-2012, 10:27 AM

The question becomes is that does torrent allow you to place the template farther vertically or not. RAW I don't see any reason not, since in this edition the galaxy has rediscovered Pythagorean Theorem. (You now measure diagonally between different heights.) Probably need an FAQ on it ;p

Wildcard
10-12-2012, 06:45 PM
we use true los and true ranges in our group :)