PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring Champion - A modelling disapointment?

DrLove42
10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2610099a_99070102001_CSMAspiringChamp01_445x319.j pg

Look at that model. Hes gorgeous. simply gorgeous model

But i can't help but feel let down by the model.

The head is very difficult to remove, and i'm not sure how well it work even if you did hack it off awkwardly.
The shoulder pads are massive comapred to normal CSM marines, and can't be removed without destroying the arms to swap them out for the sculpted shoulder pads.
The weaponary would be very difficult to swap as well, with the arm, shoulder pad, hand and weapon in one.

Don't get me wrong. Gorgeous model. I have 2 for my squads. But i feel its disapointing in the lack of customisation for a character where in the codex he can take a ton of different wargear.

Also are sculpted detailed bases the new norm for plastic one sprue characters? The Chaplain in DV had one, and so does this guy

eldargal
10-09-2012, 08:13 AM
All the WFB plastic characters have scenic bases, it is the norm.

ElectricPaladin
10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
Also, aren't starter kit models always a lot less customizable than normal models?

Kyban
10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
It does seem like they limit the options and customization possibilities with characters, on top of how expensive those models are, kind of annoying.

eldargal
10-09-2012, 08:17 AM
This one isn't a starter kit model, this is the first plastic character for 40k.:)

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 08:18 AM
They are less customisable and were traditionally snap fit so people could get gaming quicker.
There are a lot of models that come with a sculpted base, Vanguard Vets and Ork Stormboyz are just two units off the top of my head

The Madman
10-09-2012, 08:22 AM
to be truthful none of the plastic clam-shell characters in fantasy are that poseable (I speak for both chaos sorcerers and the banshee). they all go in one pose or no pose at all, even the parts that can be used for other models need some additional work to fit properly.

magickbk
10-09-2012, 08:25 AM
I haven't seen the sprue, but I am surprised to hear that, because it really looked like it would be easy to convert from pictures of the model. At the very least, it must be easier to work with than if they had released the same model in pewter, like the older champions were...

eldargal
10-09-2012, 08:26 AM
They are still plastic and you can do so much with them even with the monopose. I've seen a dozen different conversions using the DE sorceress and the various Chaos characters, all lovely with varying degrees of work involved.

DrLove42
10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I don't argue i'm sure conversions are possible. But to me things like headswaps and giving him the weapons you'd want should be easy.

As it stands, you can make as AS from the marine box. This guy is a new option for a model, but without any way to use any of the wargear he can take really limits him

Kirsten
10-09-2012, 09:33 AM
They are still plastic and you can do so much with them even with the monopose

thought that said menopause for a moment, that would be a very different problem with plastic

Archon
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't get me wrong. Gorgeous model. I have 2 for my squads. But i feel its disapointing in the lack of customisation for a character where in the codex he can take a ton of different wargear.

To remove the axe could not be so difficult. You have to be very careful not to damage the plate on the gauntlet. But for the wargear, if you mean the combi-melta, just swap the backpacks;)

thought that said menopause for a moment, that would be a very different problem with plastic

erm ... what has the one thing to do with the other thing :eek: ?

Asymmetrical Xeno
10-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I got for 8 quid off on total wargamer, suffice to say itll be the only non-DV kit i get - but damn it was worth it IMO.

I like it but I see your point, I actually prefer simple minimal-piece kits like this these days - I think it's because I get all my creativity out with sculpting my own miniatures so the last thing I want to do when I come to other games is assemble a ton of minis - I just want to paint them and have fun with em' - so I'm quite pleased to have a few things like this about myself and hope they continue the trend because id probably buy more of these sort of kits even if I don't ever intend to play the army. I guess they just fit the type of consumer I am.

inquisitorsog
10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
The trade off is it's a better looking piece, although it does seem that they drank some weak sauce not including a head swap or weapon swap that could have been done on natural seams. 20USD for a single 1/4 sized plastic sprue is heart stopping though. That's the main disappointment for me. It really makes me question this hobby and I've got a pretty good sized "fun" budget. I can't imagine how they expect to hook the "new generation" and keep them hooked.