PDA

View Full Version : And todays Darwin Award (almost) goes to....

DrLove42
10-08-2012, 01:41 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191

This girl!

Apparantly she decided to drink a cocktail that included Liquid Nitrogen. And had to have emergency surgery to have her stomach REMOVED to save her life....

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 01:50 AM
Why would you make a drink with liquid nitrogen

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 02:21 AM
lol I've just stuck that with the idiocy in the marijuana thread. maybe the idea is you're not meant to drink it till it stops boiling?

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 02:27 AM
I would imagine so.
Perhaps there should be a warning: "Do not drink until 2 minutes after served"

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 02:34 AM
They've stopped them serving them now though...
It sounds an epic way to chill a glass...

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 02:38 AM
It does, though one has to wonder how on earth in such a H&S society this was allowed to be served

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 02:48 AM
What people don't think about they can't ban, that and the muppet that came up with it probably knows nothing beyond liquid nitrogen is cold...and not the consequences of really cold things...

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 02:55 AM
It is common sense, anyone who has ever frozen any fruit will know what happens when you de-frost it.
Though I imagine the victim will be able to sue the bar for enough to make them comfortable

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 03:03 AM
I think I'd rather have my stomach...

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 03:07 AM
Deffinately,

Deadlift
10-08-2012, 03:23 AM
Can't really blame the girl for anything but being ignorant. I really don't expect to go into a bar and be served a drink that will potentially kill me.
Obviously we all know liquid nitrogen and what it does, but with so many chefs using it in food prep now it's not inconceivable for this girl to think it was safe.

Whoever thought this drink up and decided to serve it should be locked up.

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Ignorance is no defence :D

But it's possible to go out and drink yourself to death on a night out...

Deadlift
10-08-2012, 03:30 AM
Ignorance is no defence :D

But it's possible to go out and drink yourself to death on a night out...

In one drink ? It would have to be one bad *** drink to do that.

The nature of our hobby tends to draw more "cerebral" types. Trust me the world is well and truly full of ignorant, uneducated people. You only have look at any town centre on a Saturday night to see that :)

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Yeah you've got me there, unless you down the entire bottle...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/hyphen.jpg

eldargal
10-08-2012, 03:34 AM
It's a bit premature to blame her, she may well not have known. I've been served smoking cocktails/dishes (using dry ice I believe), it's a bit of a fad. If I had been presented with a cocktail at this place I may well have drunk it assuming that it was like those I've had previously. Also if this place was serving the mregularly, why this one case now? Did she drink it too soon, was it improperly prepared etc. Could be any number of reasons and it may have been her responsibility or it may not.

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Certainly blaming the girl is wrong, the bartender yes.
I now subconciously do that xkcd :(

Mr Mystery
10-08-2012, 04:55 AM
It does, though one has to wonder how on earth in such a H&S society this was allowed to be served

Simple. Hasn't happened before, so nobody has been sued.

The litigious society came before health and safety. Pre-litigious society, we kind of went with common sense.

Which reminds me, the packaging for those kitchen knives I have didn't say 'do not ram violently into face'.....I feel a spurious law suit coming on!!!!

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 04:58 AM
LOL, that is like saying "Well the BRB doesn't say I can't take 15 thunderhawks for free"

Mr Mystery
10-08-2012, 05:06 AM
When you can successfully sue because your Coffee was hot, or perhaps because that packet of almonds set off your nut allergy...

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Almonds are from the peach family and it is common for nut allergies people to not have issues with them.

It is crazy

Mr Mystery
10-08-2012, 05:22 AM
K bad nut example, but you get my drift.

It's like rubbish compactors. First used one when I was 14. And even then I found the warning -climbing in then turning it on is a bad idea - utterly superfluous.

And all needed because someone, somewhere lacked the common sense to figure it out for themselves....

DrLove42
10-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Thing to remember...most warning labels are there cos someone did it.

And most of those people are doing good work cleaning out the gene pool

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 05:34 AM
But the problem is these warnings stop weeding these people out the genepool and then they breed more than the people in possession of common sense...

DrLove42
10-08-2012, 05:38 AM
So what you're saying is we should have less labels, and more deathtraps in the world?

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Oh yeah don't worry Mr Mystery, I don't think that was a suitable reason for it not to undermine anything. I was just wishing to share my almond fact.

It is upsetting how things change, like warnings about nuts, brilliant idea let people know if the product has nuts so that they avoid potential death. Now you have bags of nuts which say "May contain nuts" rather that does contain nuts. And now everything says things like does not contain nutsd but may have been prepared in a factory that does have nuts, which is no use to man nor beast. It is now used a legal loophole rather than an indication to help people. grumble grumble grumble

Denzark
10-08-2012, 05:42 AM
In one drink ? It would have to be one bad *** drink to do that.

The nature of our hobby tends to draw more "cerebral" types. Trust me the world is well and truly full of ignorant, uneducated people. You only have look at any town centre on a Saturday night to see that :)

Pint of Absinthe?

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 05:43 AM
So what you're saying is we should have less labels, and more deathtraps in the world?

Possibly.

Deadlift
10-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Pint of Absinthe?

That would be the bad *** drink

Listening to the news, this type of cocktail with liquid nitrogen is quite common. Bloody hell, what next ?

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 05:56 AM
It'd be something...

Mr Mystery
10-08-2012, 06:45 AM
I reckon we should start telling kids that injecting neat hydrochloric acid into your meat and two veg gives you a wicked high. So many problems nipped in the bud!

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 06:51 AM
I have just been at a directors lunch and we were talking about this and apparently yeah this is quite common, but usually, it has all boiled off before being consumed

eldargal
10-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Yep, when I read it based on my limited knowledge of how the stuff works and my own experience with such cocktails it evaporates away harmlessy very quickly so it may be thie drink was served to the girl too soon or something along those lines. Probably not her fault. I think I've had the same sort of thing at a club in London actually, I didn't know it had liquid nitrogen in it until about half an hour ago when one of my brothers pointed it out.:rolleyes:

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 07:32 AM
Yeah either served too soon, or too much liquid nitrogen.

Either way, I bet it looked cool and that's all that matters right?

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 07:37 AM
It probably looked awesome, so it's the same principle as feeding seagulls bicarbonate of soda then?

Wolfshade
10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
!BoooM!

Sean_OBrien
10-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Whoever thought this drink up and decided to serve it should be locked up.

Certainly blaming the girl is wrong, the bartender yes.
I now subconciously do that xkcd :(

I disagree. That is like saying that the fat person isn't responsible...it is McDonalds fault. Want to try something new? Good - figure it out first though...and if it goes sideways, don't blame anyone else.

This particular drink isn't new...or at least LN on the tops of drinks isn't new. When I was her age, I recall having similar drinks in clubs and that was well over 20 years ago. A fluke of an incident caused by someone who did something dumb is neither a reason to lock up the person who created it nor hold the bartender who served this iteration responsible.

I would guess that more people are hospitalized each year as a result of choking on extra-crispy fried chicken than have been hospitalized in the past 50 as a result of smoking drinks.

Simple. Hasn't happened before, so nobody has been sued.

The litigious society came before health and safety. Pre-litigious society, we kind of went with common sense.

Which reminds me, the packaging for those kitchen knives I have didn't say 'do not ram violently into face'.....I feel a spurious law suit coming on!!!!

Entirely so. If a person has to think about what they do before they do it - or be responsible for the result of what they do...there would be a whole lot less of this. Coddling them, or passing laws only makes it worse as it makes people assume that if there isn't a law against it...it must be safe.

But the problem is these warnings stop weeding these people out the genepool and then they breed more than the people in possession of common sense...

Yes please.

Yeah either served too soon, or too much liquid nitrogen.

Either way, I bet it looked cool and that's all that matters right?

Likely neither. This was another case of user error. The girl would have slammed the drink in order to even get the LN into her system...let alone all the way to her stomach in order to cause the perforation mentioned in the article. Years ago, I had a chemistry professor who was no doubt the product of too much experimentation during the 60s and 70s. He would "drink" pure LN from a dewer while we were doing our labs and let the cloud of "smoke" pour out of his mouth and down his chest.

The drink was likely made in a sipping glass - like a martini, not to be drank as a shooter all in one go. However, the girl not being conscious of the ramifications of her actions would have likely downed the whole drink in one go and clamped her mouth shut preventing the normal gasification of the LN. This would allow the LN to travel down the esophageal path to her stomach where the LN expands at a 700 to 1 ratio (gas to liquid) rupturing the stomach. Further the concentration of LN in the closed system probably resulted in asphyxiation as the gas which escaped back up the esophagus quickly forced out warmer oxygen from the lungs.

You would be hard pressed to even get frost bite on your lips if you weren't attempting to show off for a bunch of screaming twits.

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Another for the ID10T user error then?

Sean_OBrien
10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Another for the ID10T user error then?

That would be my reading of the story...though that tends to go against the status quo and is what a friend of mine calls "hate facts". Things which are true and can not be argued against, but make people feel bad so they are largely dismissed as hateful bias.

The problem with the drink being the bartenders fault lies within a principle which is known as the Leidenfrost effect. When a liquid turns to guess as a result of a hot surface, there is an interference layer created between the liquid and the hot surface which insulates. Not limited to LN, you can see people wet there hands and stick them in things like pots of molten lead and other seemingly impossible feats.

In order to actually do damage to yourself with a gimmick drink like these - you almost have to try to.

Psychosplodge
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Oh I've seen that demonstrated, It's how you can pour it on your hand, the liquid boiling is forming a layer between your hand and the liquid, not the same as thrusting your paw in the tank though...

DarkLink
10-08-2012, 08:26 PM

Global warming is one of these. There actually is a massive corporate conspiracy, but its real purpose is not profit but charity. Greatly increasing CO2 production will cause global warming and massive climate change, culling the weak from the herd. Simultaneously, the extra CO2 will increase worldwide plant production, meaning food supplies will catch up with population growth. Humanity will become stronger and fitter, and will shortly rule the galaxy.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Interestingly, if global warming is true and man does has an effect on it, Russia will certainly be hoping that it is true, after all, at the moment Siberia is just a frozen waste land, if that can be warmed up to tundra or even temperate climates then they can use that massive swathes of land to grow corn, ok so things south of that will be a little dessert but hey that is someone else's problem.

With regard to the girl and the drink, I would have to say if I am served foord or drink the first question I do not ask is whether or not that this is safe for human consumption. Might sound a little weird I know but I am a risk taker.

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 01:55 AM
With regard to the girl and the drink, I would have to say if I am served foord or drink the first question I do not ask is whether or not that this is safe for human consumption. Might sound a little weird I know but I am a risk taker.

I do if our lasses mother has cooked it....

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 02:20 AM
LOL XD

An associate of mine, whenever they invite me round for dinner I have to come up with excuses of why I can't eat there, other than I am sure their food constitues a bioweapon

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 02:28 AM
I just had to bite the bullet and say I can't stomach eating overcooked packet food anymore, and cold re-heated meat the consistency of shoe leather...

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 02:34 AM
How about everything is cooked in the pressure cooker, you don't know what it is cabbage/brocolli/solent greens it is all a mystery paste, grey peas, cakes cooked withuot sugar I mean it is a mess

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Lol, I've seen someone have a sunday roast liquidised as had surgery and couldn't eat solids...

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Urgh not good enough.
Damn it why can't people cook.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 02:57 AM
In a week of bizare consumption:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19879379

That is all

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 02:57 AM
I blame laziness.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 03:02 AM
How so?

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Can't be arsed to cook properly so use sh!t like frozen roast potatoes(which should be banned.)

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 03:17 AM
Oh sorry, yes I thought that that was in reference to the link I posted.

It does amaze/amuse me that ready meals cost so much and you can make your own food for a fraction of the cost that actually has flavour!

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Oh sorry, yes I thought that that was in reference to the link I posted.

It does amaze/amuse me that ready meals cost so much and you can make your own food for a fraction of the cost that actually has flavour!
Ah no that wasn't there when I started my response lol.

I think I'd probably rather starve to death regarding your link.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 03:29 AM
I am not sure of the appeal myself, but balti them up and it is all good :)

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 03:46 AM
If you like that sort of thing.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 04:02 AM
you can curry anything to make it taste nice

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Just no.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 04:29 AM
At uni I used to curry bacon and egg sandwiches...

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 04:38 AM
That's a crime against the breakfast butty...

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Without sounding like Tizzy it was Glorious!

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 05:42 AM
You sound like Tizzy.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Boo his

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 05:45 AM
What am I, a pantomime villain?

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Yes, were you unaware of this?

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Apparently so,

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:17 AM
This of course means that I must be the bold brave hero!
http://ponycraft.net/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/reddash/2012/08/9b46d58c-5eee-4143-b3d2-47f52df7d399.jpg

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:20 AM
that's brilliant!

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
I've been saving that for the right time

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:29 AM
The original is good, this ones better.
You can't really get more appropriate than that...

Kirsten
10-09-2012, 06:29 AM
that mammoth tank is missing the missile pods on the sides of the turret, very lazy.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:34 AM
that mammoth tank is missing the missile pods on the sides of the turret, very lazy.

I think you might be missing the point...

Kirsten
10-09-2012, 06:36 AM
nonsense, that pony has built an inaccurate tank, shame on him.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:40 AM
I don't think Twilight Sparkle is a he....

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:40 AM
nonsense, that pony has built an inaccurate tank, shame on him.

Her.

Kirsten
10-09-2012, 06:44 AM
him, her, the point stands

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:45 AM
It's clearly a prototype fellblade...

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Clearly a Macharius Vanquisher...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Super_Heavy_Tanks/MACHARIUS-VANQUISHER.html

Psychosplodge
10-09-2012, 06:58 AM
I stand corrected.

Wolfshade
10-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Ah well, it is all good.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/034/0/1/krieger_pony_by_tristikov-d38r39e.png

daboarder
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
They've stopped them serving them now though...
It sounds an epic way to chill a glass...

WHY were they serving them in the first place, anyone with even partial intelligence would have told you that was a bad idea.

Wolfshade
10-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Because, usually the nitrogen would have boiled off, they are served in wide martin style glasses, and if you did swallow any again it would boil off on contact with your skin so wouldn't actually touch it, they have been selling them for a while and they look cool :)