PDA

View Full Version : Tau before Eldar?

Lost Vyper
10-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Frontpage displayed some alarming news, it seems that the Tauīs seem to be before Eldar, at least in the figures department...i hope that isnt the case in the Codex case (yeah, keep wishing :) ). Does anyone have any other info?

Emerald Rose Widow
10-05-2012, 12:31 AM
most of the rumours I have read have been saying tau before eldar for a while

DrLove42
10-05-2012, 03:35 AM
yeah Tau beofre Eldar has been the long running story. Most things havealways put Tau in Q1/2 with Eldar in Q3.

Shame i collect both the armies. And my Pre Heresy army of choice are in the next book if its out next year. Is going to be EXPENSIVE year

Psychosplodge
10-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Tau before Eldar, except after ork

sowy couldn't resist...

gcsmith
10-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Given Tau are Older than eldar, good.

Autarch
10-05-2012, 05:34 AM
I said this in the comments section, but this has to be the longest wait for a major army in 40k ever. My definition of "major armies" being Space Marines, Chaos, Orks and Eldar. I guess they are probably still working on the models, but still my god its been a long wait. Hopefully they'll make a codex equivalent to the DE book which in my opinion is a book meant to weather all seasons.

Kyban
10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Yeah, a Eldar codex sooner would be good, there's still a bunch of rules questions for Eldar that the FAQ didn't clear up.

DrLove42
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Thing is Tau and Eldar both have the same problem. Its all a lot overpriced.

Tau also ave the problem that a lot fo stuff is really pointless.

If the Eldar codex got a 20% price reduction on a few things (40 points for a lance! Really?!) and a few FAQ (make Holofields add +1 to Jink save) and they'd be fine.

Chris*ta
10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I said this in the comments section, but this has to be the longest wait for a major army in 40k ever. My definition of "major armies" being Space Marines, Chaos, Orks and Eldar. I guess they are probably still working on the models, but still my god its been a long wait. Hopefully they'll make a codex equivalent to the DE book which in my opinion is a book meant to weather all seasons.

I'm pretty sure the wait between, say Codex Ultramarines and Codex Space Marines 3rd Ed would've been longer. Also, this sounds a little bit like "according to my completely arbitrary definition of x, we've been waiting a long time!" ;)

Autarch
10-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the wait between, say Codex Ultramarines and Codex Space Marines 3rd Ed would've been longer. Also, this sounds a little bit like "according to my completely arbitrary definition of x, we've been waiting a long time!" ;)

Oh yeah its a totally arbitrary system :) However according to that arbitrary system individual space marine chapters don't count. :p Not really sure the 2nd ed Ultra Marines to 3rd ed. Space Marine dex comparison works, because I'm pretty sure the SM dex was the first or second 3rd ed. book. So its really not that much of a wait when you get a codex right after the release of the new rules. But I may be mixed up on your point. :confused:

In all fairness Tau have had a really long wait, and I'm sure Tyranids nerd rage far exceeds my own. but regardless its felt like a really long time.

Chris*ta
10-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Oh, I'm not saying it hasn't been a very long wait. I just find the "But I've been waiting SOOOO long" comments on codexes kind of funny at the best of times (it is, after all, just toy soldiers ;)) but something about the arbitrariness of saying "if you just look at these examples there's a pattern". Kind of like some of the crazier arguments Von Daniken made about alien contact with ancient civilisations.

Speaking of which, it's totally worth reading some Von Daniken. He's hilarious.

Back to the actual discussion. I think both Eldar and Tau deserve getting a really good Codex. I guess I care more about the Eldar getting one, but I remember falling in love with the Eldar back when their first real rules and stuff were in WD 127.

Which I totally got to discuss with Jes Goodwin :)

Said discussion was me saying I've liked the Eldar since reading WD 127, and him saying thanks or something. I guess I didn't have anything prepared for that meeting :(

Anggul
10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I play both, and I can with strong conviction that I believe the Eldar need it much more. Tau got much better with 6th ed and are doing okay at the moment. Eldar on the other hand, are terrible unless they're being used as allies, and even then only a couple of units are any use.

There's just so little going for the Eldar any more, Runes of Warding, Harlequins, Rangers and War Walkers are about it.

Chris*ta
10-05-2012, 05:01 PM
See, I'd say Eldar need it more because they're so much more awesome than Tau and far more iconic to 40k.

I can also see the Eldar benefitting far more from the kind of attention that a new codex would mean -- in terms of cool models, etc. -- than Tau. I think Tau might be happier if they've done a few more Codexes of the recent mold (since Grey Knights and/or Dark Eldar, I mean).

Kirsten
10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
I have played against eldar all the time since the start of third edition and I think they have a really solid codex. the only thing that does need to change is that all their vehicle weapon options need to be halved in cost, they are really excessive. Other than that I think they are great. Tau don't need any major changes either, but I want to see them release crisis suits more like the forgeworld ones, then I will be dusting off the tau army again with sexy new models.

White Tiger88
10-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I have played against eldar all the time since the start of third edition and I think they have a really solid codex. the only thing that does need to change is that all their vehicle weapon options need to be halved in cost, they are really excessive. Other than that I think they are great. Tau don't need any major changes either, but I want to see them release crisis suits more like the forgeworld ones, then I will be dusting off the tau army again with sexy new models.

Tau with sexy models? I dont think that is possible.......Eldar on the other hand needs more female elfs :D

Defenestratus
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Everyone saying that Eldar need new rules in order to be "competitive" need to go pickup some FW models. The wraithseer, nightwings and phoenix bombers all carry their points cost in gold and really are stellar units.

In fact, I've had much better win ratio with my Eldar in 6th than I have with my dumb Blood Angels. My Space Vampires are suffering....

Poseidal
10-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Not everyone appreciates you taking FW units wholesale, and it's kind of silly that Forge-world peripheral models are much better than the core Craftworld ones. Of the Forgeworld stuff, I only really see the Warp Hunter and Firestorm going into the main codex ā la Imperial Guard. The profile on their original vehicles that don't use the Falcon transport IMO doesn't match up to the GW stuff (maybe because it wasn't penned by Jes), although the old OOP Wave Serpent from FW was better. I do like the Lynx though.

Now that being said, the Tau codex is the more archaic one, with bizarre force layout and wargear that references long gone rules. The Eldar one is surprisingly modern (which may be a testament to Phil's Codex design) even though the power level has not withstood the ravages of time.

gresha
10-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Everyone saying that Eldar need new rules in order to be "competitive" need to go pickup some FW models. The wraithseer, nightwings and phoenix bombers all carry their points cost in gold and really are stellar units.

And what about those of use who's gaming group and hobby shop group (2 different sets of players) don't really like people pulling out FW models?

Kawauso
10-06-2012, 07:42 AM
And what about those of use who's gaming group and hobby shop group (2 different sets of players) don't really like people pulling out FW models?

What's their problem with them, exactly? The vast majority of FW units are either somewhat underpowered or certainly no better than the sort of things you'd find in the last few years' worth of codices. Stay out of Apocalypse and you should be fine - but that ought to go without saying.

Lost Vyper
10-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Dang, i was wishing Eldar for the summer, guess thatīs not happening...over a year, yeah, not a long haul, no...

War Painter
10-09-2012, 04:18 AM
I'm very interested in what they have in store for both these armies in the future, but I admit the Tau intrigue me a bit more. They both will be updated eventually and will be awesome.

Defenestratus
10-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Tell them to pull whatever it is out of their *** that has them so up tight and to let you play with models that have rules that are less than 6 years old.

Seriously they're not that bad. This weekend I played against my friend's Necron list with a wraithseer, a warp hunter, two nightwings and a phoenix in my list. He wont by 1 VP even though he had nothing in his list that could deal with my flyers. Having FW models in your list isn't a "easy button" for 40k.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-62Iy1D3eK24/UHBiNFyWTDI/AAAAAAAAbzA/Os6afJMP-A0/s855/IMG_20121006_125321.jpg

Count Fenring
10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Just saw this on the black library site:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/fire-caste.html

The book might coincide well with the release me thinks.