PDA

View Full Version : Lists to Teach Middle Schoolers

ElectricPaladin
10-04-2012, 10:33 AM
A couple of my kids (my kids = my students) have expressed an interest in learning to play Warhammer 40k! Since nerdy games are proven1 to keep one out of trouble, I'm happy to teach them. I collect Blood Angels, Blood Ravens, and Tau (I now wish I collected more "basic" armies, like Orks...). Anyway, here are the two lists I've cooked up to use. The points values are about 490, but I'm not being too picky. The game gets weird enough at such a small scale, anyway.

Blood Ravens

HQ
• Terminator Librarian w/Storm Bolter

Troops
• 5 Tactical Marines
• 5 Tactical Marines

Fast Attack
• 2 Landspeeder Typhoons

Tau

HQ
• Crisis Battlesuit Commander w/Flamer, TL Plasma Rifle, 2 Shield Drones

Elites
• 2 Crisis Battlesuits w/Flamer, TL Plasma Rifle, 2 Gun Drones

Troops
• 10 Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles
• 10 Fire Warriors w/Pulse Rifles

The goal is to include a sufficient degree of interest and complexity that the game is fun, but not so much that it's impossible to teach. I'd also like the game to be at least a little balanced, but it's not like my kids are going to be playing at a high level just yet...

1 For sufficiently low values of proof.

AdamHarry
10-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd start by setting up scenarios for them to play first. Walk them through the basics of Movement, Shooting, Wounding. Then introduce Close Combat and challenges. Then introduce Transports/Vehicles.

After they get the basics down, Put together two identical lists and let them play. Watch and coach them at first, but then let them just play and ask you questions. This is where the quick reference charts come in handy.

Once they get past this step, you can then throw them in the deep end and have them use the two lists above. then have them swap and play again.

Eventually, they will ask to borrow the codexes to make their own lists, and that's when you know they are all set.